What’s for Dinner #52 - the Continuous Feasts Edition- December 2019

Wify is still not home. Have burgers and fries ready to go

5 Likes

Hungarian chicken with spaetzle

15 Likes

Haha, I remember when this dish would trend in Chowhound WFD, too. Usually @LindaWhit would set off the craving.

4 Likes

Hear, hear. New post idea?

6 Likes

Double plus for the spaetzle . This is going to be on my Christmas menu. I’ll make the batter then have it fall through a colander into the hot water.

3 Likes

Harissa salmon, mashed sweet potato with herb and lime salsa (Ottolenghi), and roasted cauliflower (that never made it into the plate… snacked on it while I assembled the rest).

Really great flavors - harissa and the lime-herb both punchy.

10 Likes

You can file last night’s meal under lucky accident or we really should label stuff we put in the freezer. So I took a large yogurt container out of the freezer yesterday morning. Not our usual brand, so not sure what it was doing there. No matter. I opened it up had a sniff. Definitely, brown, definitely meaty and definitely cooked with wine. Right I thought, defrost it while at work. Spag bol for dinner. On getting home I realised it wasn’t spag bol saucebut The MIL’s coq au vin sauce. Then it all came back to me I had taken leftover sauce whilst visiting, which explained the rogue yogurt pot. Anyway I quickly nipped out to buy frozen chips and served with the coq au vin sauce and melted cheese. A sort of poutine. It was very tasty and reminded me why I’d taken the leftover sauce in the first place.

17 Likes

It would be great to have a separate thread! With most of the meals on this thread, I have to search for the “stupid easy”, which are the only meals that fit into my schedule.

1 Like

I ate the same thing last night, just without the broccoli and with green peppers as opposed to red. I had leftover ribeye from Thanksgiving and used that. Whenever I go to a Chinese restaurant, I end up ordering the pepper steak - one of my favorites. I have to try it with red peppers next time.

2 Likes

:yum:

:joy::joy::joy:
I buy my mackerel whole at a place called Butcherie in Brookline, MA
I cut off the head and cut ~3" thick slices and have a slice for breakfast with my bagel.
It stinks and my husband hates it when I eat it. But it is high in Omega 3 and I love it.
I have to try it like this. Looks wonderful.

8 Likes

Most definitely (he says while looking in the mirror)!

3 Likes

Very true.

Of course, that is one of the classic ways to make spaetzle, I heartily recommend one of these,
Absolutely foolproof, simple to wash. I have owned literally dozens. Dinner guests gush over the spaetzle and I give them one to take home. (I pick them up new at garage sales from people who “don’t get it”.)

Spaetzle are my “go to” for any kind of braised meet juice like short ribs or oxtail, as well as an instant meal in broth.

We look forward to your presentation. Happy holiday!

3 Likes

And it was LindaWhit who made me revisit this dish. I used Sarah Leah Chase’ supposed family recipe. Would love to read others. Should we have a Hungarian chicken thread for all us pseudo-Hungarians out there?

3 Likes

Wow - I haven’t seen spaetzle in such a long time. My German grandmother used to make this a lot with Schnitzel when I was growing up and would visit her in NYC during the summers. Such comfort food for me. I still make the Schnitzel a lot but with rice or fries. Wow - this site really gets me excited about certain foods sometimes. I think I’ll make this over the weekend. Thanks for the post, pilgrim!

2 Likes

I can’t do the green anymore - they react very badly with my digestive system. And no one wants to be around that when it happens. LOL

4 Likes

See here:

1 Like

Looks so good

1 Like

That’s awesome!