What’s for Dinner #52 - the Continuous Feasts Edition- December 2019

Last night the BF made a scrumptious feast consisting of ham, four-cheese mashed potatoes, and an onion and olive pie. Tonight is leftovers…with an Old Fashioned or two. I’ve been watching too much Mad Men lately.

17 Likes

Car appt.
Errands.
Some accomplished. Some not.
Quiet afternoon.
Needed before family gathering tomorrow.

Dinner was Hungarian Chicken using several chicken thighs. Served on pappardelle noodles with peas alongside.

There was wine. Also needed.

23 Likes

I wanted Bolognese for dinner tonight but I got home a bit too late to get it fully simmered before dinnertime. So, dinner tonight:

(Rare flap steak with sherry caramelized onions and blue cheese, Brussels sprouts with brown butter, sage, lemon and roasted garlic)

Dinner tomorrow:

18 Likes

Mmmmmm. I want both of those.

1 Like

Looks great! What’s Hungarian Chicken?

1 Like

We had a sensational dinner at newly opened French Mediterranean restaurant Bistro D’Azur in East Orange, NJ. Below are the details and pictures for those that are interested.
Bistro D’Azur

1 Like

Last night was out with cousins at a casual seafood place picked by… wait for it… the vegetarian. Pretty please-all menu with nothing really standout. My grilled scallops came with a combination of most of the meh vegetarian sides… I brought the sides home to doctor.

Tonight, reinvented leftovers. Roasted a fillet of salmon. Used the red curry from thai dinner a few nights ago to dress the salmon as well as baby carrots and farro from last night. A bit of leftover basmati under there too. Very tasty and satisfying meal even though it sounds bizarre.

On the salmon - I tried Ikea salmon for the first time and was pleasantly surprised. Ditto their smoked salmon, though it’s more heavily smoked than I like, so I probably won’t repeat that.

And I think I’ve settled on an olive oil cake recipe - or maybe it’s a tie. Yes, I baked yet another one… taking to friends’ for dinner tomorrow. The husband loves the olive oil cake at a restaurant downtown, and it (finally) struck me to see if they had published a recipe… they had, so that’s what I baked. Good even on day 1 (I bake a couple of mini cupcakes to taste test). Still tied with my first attempt which was delicious but visually disastrous (rose and then sank horribly, just as the recipe said it would). Hope they like this version - the first one was baked for the same friend’s dad a couple of weeks ago.

15 Likes

Oh wow, it looks beautiful! Good job.

3 Likes

I think it’s chicken paprikash. Hers is less saucy, from what I can see in the photo.

It’s a Hungarian classic and it’s delicious. But then, everything with (sour) cream is a hit in my house.

Mine in Budapest, most commonly served with button dumplings like in the photo. Love Hungarian cuisine and wine! Must go back!

11 Likes

Off the cuff dinner while watching the Wizard of Oz.

I had picked up a bag of Barramundi filets at B Js the other day. Previous to dinner I had made a cocktail we enjoyed out call ring of fire.

Part gin, part vodka, lychee liqueur, Pineapple juice,agave syrup and lime juice. Garnished with jalapeño slices that had been soaked in the vodka. I was able to replicate it pretty well

Trying to incorporate all that was in front of me I made a cream sauce with the jalapeños. Coated the fish in Mayo and the last of a bag of jalapeño potato chips which we had just been snacking on .

Lightly blackened cut string beans and broccoli and did a quick sauté

One of those, it worked! Yey

19 Likes

A recipe I pulled out of Mastercook years ago. Essentially Chicken Paprikash. I’ve adapted this recipe to accommodate me making 3 or 4 chicken thighs. (See notes at the bottom)

• Exported from MasterCook *

Hungarian Chicken

Recipe By :Copyright (C) 1995 by Heidi Rabel
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:15
Categories : Poultry

Amount Measure Ingredient – Preparation Method

16 chicken thighs
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion – peeled and chopped
4 ounces mushrooms – sliced about 1/4" thick
2 cups chicken stock
1 quart sour cream (I’m cutting WAY WAY back on this amount! That’s crazy talk! LOL)
2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups cooked rice or fettuccine

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat oil in heavy skillet on medium high heat. Cook chicken until it is crisp and brown on both sides, about 15 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.

Turn the heat down to medium low, add the onion, and cook it until it is softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms and cook for 5 more minutes, stirring constantly. Add remaining 5 ingredients, retaining 2 tsp. paprika, and mix thoroughly.

Transfer cooked chicken to the casserole dish and pour sauce over chicken. Sprinkle the top with remaining paprika and bake, uncovered for 25 minutes.

Serving Ideas : Serve over steamed rice or wide egg fettuccine.

NOTES : You will need a heavy oven-proof casserole dish. The only thing Hungarian about this old-time recipe is the Hungarian paprika, which is mellow and lacks the bitterness of other paprikas.

1. I cut the recipe in half using 4 chicken thighs (this were Frankenchicken thighs, and one per serving worked).

2. I cut WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY back on the amount of sour cream - the recipe is just crazy talk asking to use a quart of sour cream! LOL I maybe used 2/3 or 3/4 of a cup.

3. Red pepper flakes - did just a “shake” - and subbed Aleppo pepper for the remaining 1/4 tsp. called for in the halved recipe.

4. I “reduced” the chicken stock/onions/mushrooms a bit so there wasn’t too much liquid before adding the paprika, salt, Aleppo pepper and the sour cream. Pan was removed from the heat and sour cream whisked in, then poured over the chicken in the baking dish, then tucked into the oven.

8 Likes

Spot on, @Presunto. I reduce the “sauce” before adding the sour cream and pouring it over the browned chicken. Oh…and I usually keep the mushrooms the same amount as in the original recipe. Because I like the shroomy-oniony sauce.

3 Likes

Looks fabulous. I grew and dried Szegedi sweet peppers this summer, and have been meaning to make this dish to use some of the excellent paprika they made. Thanks for the reminder!

4 Likes

Tons of traffic on the street due to the general strike started last Thursday. It took us twice the time to go to the place to see an exhibition. On our way back, we were hungry and popped into the first place we saw a bit more decent, we briefly checked on phone before entering: a hipster ramen place according to critics of le Figaro, but it got ok comments. Hipsters or not, we entered.

Shoyu ramen with yuzu

Spicy miso ramen

We were wondering the meaning of hipster in this case. Music was hip-hop and loud, food portion was minuscule. Soup was ok and less fatty than the more traditional places. We left the place slightly hungry. Back home, we finished our meal with a portion of limoncello panettone.

14 Likes

Thanks! I thought it might be something like that. I made chicken paprikash recently after not having made it for years. It turned out really well. One thing I did was serve the sour cream on the side so I didn’t have to worry about heating it too much. Didn’t hear any complaints!

2 Likes

I just change my 5 liter barrel over from Old Fashioned’s to Manhattan’s They should only get better over the next few months . It was time for a change

5 Likes

I have a chicken spit in two which is marinating at the moment. I suspect the grill will be the cooking method.

The kids declined our offer for dinner, so no pressure. I can do “what I damn well please” as my wife informed me. Smoker or grill? Or combo of each which is where it maybe going.

3 Likes

Thanks! I love these little pans.

The cake actually domed a bit, but I shaved it off and inverted it for the pretty pattern on the bottom to be seen.

Five liters of cocktails?

1 Like

Now that would excessive. 3 oz to test the blend was appropriate