What’s For Dinner #41 - 1/2019 - Clean Slate - New Plate Edition!

God bless her soul. Perhaps the memory of her love for you, will comfort you during this mourning period. Baruch Ashem!

1 Like

Simple dinner tonight. One dish,
Chilean Seabass seared till black, removed from cast iron pan, added ginger, scallion, garlic, then miso dissolved in a cup of water, shaoxing wine, mirin to counteract saltiness of miso and then a splash of sesame oil.
Served with rice and bubbly

11 Likes

There is (of course) some big stressful meeting on the horizon for next week that we were scrambling to prep for. We ordered in and I brought my salad back to eat in peace away from a stressful desk. Added the last two falafel from last night. My feta removal skills are improving. (Hint: use some of the extra chopsticks from the silverware drawer)

A handful of those pretzel crisps a la carte.
Lacking chocolate, only options at coffee shop have been milk chocolate lately.

8 Likes

So they have managed to ignore the “no feta” every single time?! Mindboggling.

Have you tried French feta like Valbreso? Not sharp or strong. Not overly salty with a creamy texture

Another two part episode of

How to Make Japanese Style Pork and Cabbage Dumplings (Gyoza)

I’ve done this before, this one is triggered by another Lucky’s deal

How to Make Japanese-Style Pork and Cabbage Dumplings (Gyoza)

6 Likes

And Chinese Fried Pork and Cabbage Dumplings With Homemade Wrappers (guo tie) Recipe
Serious Eats

" What are Gyoza?

When I make gyoza for an audience familiar with Asian dumplings, I inevitably get asked what’s special about a gyoza and what distinguishes them from, say, Chinese-style guo tie (potstickers). The real answer? Not all that much. Like ramen, gyoza are a borrowed food that the Japanese adapted from the Chinese original, modifying them slightly over the years. And just as with ramen, one of the big differences is that Japanese gyoza tend to be much more garlicky than their Chinese counterparts.* They also tend to have thinner skins and a higher proportion of vegetables to pork.

*It’s odd, as ramen and gyoza are two of the only foods I can think of in the Japanese repertoire that make extensive use of garlic. Fittingly, gyoza are most often served as a side dish to ramen."

ETA Shoot! Accidentally bought siu mai wrappers. Not working.

7 Likes

I never saw gyoza wrappers ready made in stores. Unlike the Chinese spring roll or wanton skins.

Also, the Japanese ones has less fillings compared to the Chinese dumplings. We need to eat more if we were just ordering gyoza in restaurants…

1 Like

A beef ragu sits in the fridge.

Goodness knows when or if it will be eaten - the father in law was taken into hospital this morning. Before calling for an ambulance, his doctor said he may only have hours left. Whichever, it looks like Mrs H & I are not flying to Tenerife tomorrow morning for our annual three week stay.

Today is a complete pisser. There. Now I’ve told you I feel a bit better!

2 Likes

So sorry to hear this, Harters. Take care of yourself. Here’s wishing you and Mrs. H. strength to navigate these complicated days.

4 Likes

Sorry John about the news. Hope things will work out in this complicated situation. If talking makes you feel better, don’t hesitate.

4 Likes

How awful - for everyone. Sorry.

2 Likes

Hope things go as well as possible. I’m sure Mrs. H appreciates having you by her side. I’m sorry the holiday plans are off the table for now.

Oh John, so sorry to hear about this. Give my best to Mrs. H, and hugs to both of you.

2 Likes

My thoughts are with you and yours, John.

2 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Who wants to talk about Asian dumplings?

I can’t keep track these days of who took what picture on which phone and if I posted it on Hungry Onion, Chowhound, or Instagram.

Today we made chicken biryani in a new Le Creuset 4.5 qt pot. After the old pot cracked a couple years ago during a move, I tried to stick with inexpensive options, thinking it was more psychological than anything else. However, for whatever reason, there’s no denying biryani comes out great in the Le Crueset. We’re thinking about hitting HomeGoods and stocking up on larger sizes. They aren’t cheap at $100 to $150, but worth it in my opinion. The Macy’s Martha Stewart brand is okay, too. I have smaller sizes of that brand. And these pots work well for baking bread, too, even if they aren’t rated for higher temps.

Using cake scraps leftover from leveling a cake and leftover peanut butter frosting, I made this mini cake. Enrobed in chocolate ganache. These “scrap” cakes always come out better than the real cakes.

Over the weekend we had dinner at our Chinese school’s New Years celebration. The mushroom dish was my favorite. The green tea roll cake was better than any I’ve had from bakeries. Beijing-style yogurt paired great with the heat of the Sichuan jelly noodles.

16 Likes

Thanks to all for your thoughts - really appreciated.

The old boy is still hanging in there, albeit not conscious, and the docs have been clear that this is “it”. Mrs H and one of her sisters are staying with him - the staff are going to find a couple of comfy chairs so they can at least doze. The rest of us have pretty much said our goodbyes and are going to bed. We’ll see what morning brings.

By the by, the ragu was pretty good.

14 Likes

Haddock filets roasted with a horseradish-potato topping, green salad with creamy honey mustard dressing and avocado, and leftover tahini carrots.

14 Likes

The cake is cute!

4 Likes