What’s For Dinner #41 - 1/2019 - Clean Slate - New Plate Edition!

Definitely more fritter than crisp British biscuit. Slater calls them “hotcakes” - here’s the man himself - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmyVyJK5i_8

Dunno how they’ll be cold - they’ve never lasted that long!!

3 Likes

Thank you! They look fabulous!

Grilled salmon with a butter and dill coating.

Grilled tuna glazed with Dijon mustard and minced garlic salt.

Sides…white rice, yogurt dill cream sauce, avocado ,cold cucumber/red onion/tomato/cilantro relish with evoo & red wine vinegar, squeeze of lime.

9 Likes

Not-Cantonese Chicken and salted fish fried rice.

With Chinese sausage!

11 Likes

Thankfully uneventful trip back to nyc tonight. Had a few handfuls of pretzels goldfish and totally fell asleep! Much needed since i was woken by housemates at 2am and 4am and got up at 6am…
had some kimchi and pickled green beans,

I had unopened tofu in the fridge! Lazy girl tofu, as unattractive as always. More pretzel fish a la carte

Picked up these at the newstand, they’re minis and I’m risking it with milk chocolate but they didn’t have any dark chocolate.
![image|700x483](upload://pgt7lqaQUVcWj7VdaAN1zbDWbA3.jpeg

8 Likes

Takeout at a friend’s in an effort to stay awake and beat jet lag… frozen momos to start, and thai delivery after - pad key mao and green curry. Spiciest thai I’ve had in a long time!

3 Likes

Were you pleased with how the green beans turned out?

Stay warm this weekend!

Upcoming - pulled pork, cornbread, coleslaw, BBQ beans. It’s a big piece of shoulder - nearly 2kg - so I think I see piggy in my lunchtime sandwiches for a while.

Cranberry pudding - a Nigel Slater recipe that’ll use up the last of the frozen cranberries from Xmas. Second recipe on this link - https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/feb/26/nigel-slater-oyster-sauce-chicken-with-citrus-mint-salad

5 Likes

Yes, they’re great! I actually like them best now so far- about three weeks in i think? They fermented about 10days room temp before i put in the fridge. Very munchable, interesting since they’re not pickled with a lot of salt. This jar has some radish slices in the bottom too ;))
Stay warm yourself! I’m actually heading to the store now, maybe souping tonight.

3 Likes

Jet lag is causing meal blur… Lots of grazing instead of discrete meals.

I finally made the faux scotch broth / barley soup that I had planned for earlier. It was surprisingly delicious, and closer in flavor to what I was trying to recreate than I expected.

Soup color was orange because I discovered carrots which had frozen in the back of my vegetable drawer (why is that the coldest pet of my fridge? Idiotic). So some went into the base chicken soup (which was yummy as is, therefore the delay on the next soup iteration), some more went into the finished soup before blending, and the rest were roasted with warm spices.

The roasted carrots were lovely over a bowl of yogurt with a sprinkle of chaat masala. The last time I made them was as a warm carrot salad with a yogurt dressing, so this was a nice inversion.

11 Likes

Long day in the car. Visited with Mom; went to a store for furniture with my sister, and then (like a fool) decided to go to BJ’s Wholesale Club at 1pm on the day before the AFC Championship AND 10 hours before a major snowstorm and spent 30 minutes on line waiting to check out with 3 items.

Yeah. I know. I was an idiot.

But I wanted what I wanted and I got it.

Dinner tonight was a spicy Moroccan Lamb Tagine/Stew, with lamb chunks seasoned with salt and pepper, and browned with chopped onion, and a spice mix of paprika, turmeric, cumin, cardamom, nutmeg, and cayenne. Added some tomato sauce and chicken stock, then added a large handful of halved dried apricots, a cinnamon stick broken in half and a single star anise. Drizzled with some honey and covered. Into a 350° oven for about 2 hours.

The lamb was served over egg noodles and alongside roasted carrots, which were tossed tossed with olive oil, paprika, cumin, and cinnamon before roasting, and then topped with a lime crema and chopped pistachios.

There WAS wine. Girding my loins for the overnight storm, and hoping the rain/sleet and following freeze doesn’t take down power lines.

13 Likes

That sounds and looks really quite amazing. Good for you.

2 Likes

Those roasted carrots look amazing! Hope you keep electricity and stay safe and warm with your furry kids through the storm

2 Likes

Because i am an idiot I went to trade joe’s this afternoon- haven’t been in forever- but weekends are always a bad idea and they keep saying we’re going to get slammed by this storm so there was actually a line to get in the store maybe a half block long.
Ummm, no.
The regular grocery store was also crazy busy and very long line to check out but not optional since nothing much at home and can’t handle any more delivery meals
Decided to make braised cabbage, thought there was garlic in the fridge but no. So i took out my jar of emergency chopped garlic and promptly dropped it and splattered glass and garlic across the kitchen floor.
Awesome.
Soooo, no garlic in here. But there’s onion I sautéed with some olive oil, fennel seed, white pepper, cider vinegar, and a big spoon of this whole grain cider mustard that i’ve had a while. Added a few meatless balls towards the end of cooking.

Very likely i’ll make hot chocolate with oat milk and cocoa later

8 Likes

Dinner tonight was split pea soup and a pretzel roll.

The stock from the smoked turkey carcass was delicious and became the inspiration for the soup. Dried peas simmered in the stock with onion. Once softened blitzed it with the immersion blender. Back on the stove with the addition of some chopped carrot. Once carrot was close to al dente chopped smoked turkey was added. Ready 10 minutes later.

Brought some over to my elderly neighbor. I’ve provided a week of firsts for her. Gave her smoked turkey breast earlier in the week for sandwiches. She had never had smoked turkey or split pea soup! Kind of fun providing a new experience for someone who is almost 90!

11 Likes

Spicy Chinese noodle soup with poached egg. Really wishing for good takeout!

6 Likes

You made that??? Recipe?

Homemade chicken broth, several spoons of spicy chili-black bean oil, homemade Sichuan chili oil, sesame oil, an egg, scallion greens, splashes of soy sauce and black vinegar, dash of ground white pepper, diced firm tofu, and cooked egg noodles.

4 Likes

Damn :slight_smile: I’m not officially drooling. Gotta buy some tofu tomorrow. Thanks a lot.

2 Likes

[Hot and Numbing Sichuan Chicken Salad (Bang Bang Ji Si) Recipe]
(https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/06/sichuan-chicken-salad-chinese-bang-bang-hot-and-numbing-recipe.html)

Other Inspiration
https://www.chinasichuanfood.com/bon-bon-chicken-bang-bang-chicken/
and
https://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/bang-bang-ji-bang-bang-chicken-482714
and
https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/10917-sichuan-style-chicken-salad-bang-bang-ji-si
My pictures

7 Likes