What’s for Dinner #31 - The Blustery Month Edition - March '18

Mt Shasta. It’s a gorgeous town with not many people and traffic. Superior fly fishing spots and outdoor activities. Santa Cruz is way way too crowded now.

6 Likes

well, enjoy! looking forward to hearing about your new food adventures!

1 Like

Welcome to my world, @emglow101. :grin:

1 Like

@emglow101: see snow ploughing as an easy workout without the cost of a gym menbership. Have fun exploring your new food scene. Changes can be good.

@JTPhilly, you do big slalom/alpine/freestyle (moguls/half pipe etc)/ski jumping/Nordic combined? :grin: I don’t do any of that but I love watching. It’s so breath taking, so FKing insane!

You did all that? No, it’s not boring! You take the time to make your food and enjoy eating it that’s not boring to me. That means you take care of yourself and you are mindful of what you eat, especially on days you don’t feel like making a meal or too tired to even bother. It’s far better than choosing pre-cooked pre-packaged rubbish which is more harmful to both the body and mind. I always look forward to hearing and seeing what your “boring” day has been :joy:

I might take a look at Absentia.

4 Likes

So good and stupid easy to make. Look up “red cooked pork belly”.

8 Likes

Red-cooked pork in any form is the best. Gorgeous as usual, P.

1 Like

Fyi i have been ordering and sending bagels for years from bagel hole- their prices are waaay better than most others and you get multiple choice shipping options
http://www.bagelhole.net/site/f4c7e03d3ee14b6aa92be1862fa67580/default?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bagelhole.net%2FSTORE.html#2890

2 Likes

Not so many photos lately, last night i made a semi-asian style salad and used a leftover packet of crispy things i found in the drawer. Smoked tofu and wine not pictured. Mom and dad had the same but with some rotisserie chicken

I made white kimchi with my nephew yesterday afternoon :hugs: we had a blast and he didn’t even cut off any fingers! He diligently managed to julianne all the carrots for the stuffing that gors between the leaves. In a few days when it’s ready we’re (ok i will except for their omni protein) going to make bibimbap for dinner!

Tonight i made us a big massaged kale salad with avocado, salt and rice wine vinegar, roasted some sunchokes and hot crash potatoes, mom made them some sort of stuffed chicken breast, i added a bunch of hemp seeds and some edamame to my salad. Terrible photo of the delicious sunchokes aka jerusalem artichokes and potatoes that look like each other here and were leftover

12 Likes

The last days in Santa Cruz. Live Crab I steamed. Wine to drink.:wine_glass:Cheers. Never made it to the table cracked and ate over the kitchen sink.

13 Likes

Hopefully you left a Foodsaver unpacked and bought/froze seafood to bring to Mt. Shasta!

1 Like

I’ve been eating from the frozen assets the last 5 days. Partly to make some room in the freezer and partly since I’ve had limited mobility due to a bad fall last week. I was limber enough to drive today so picked up a few things at the grocery, hit the library and refilled the medicines for the cat. Learned the vet I finally found and adored has moved to NJ. I am so bummed, she is the perfect vet for us. Between her relocating and all the delicious posts on the NJ board I’ve half a mind to move there too!

Dinner tonight was beef stew with a toasted baguette and butter. Apple pie (so-so) for dessert which the grocery had on sale for 3.14 for Pi day! Good meal on a cold blustery day - but at least the sun was out!

9 Likes

Made a small pizza with sauteed onions and pepperoni. A pie for π day :pizza: .

12 Likes

Lunch today was a basket of sourdough bread and pound of butter, with a side of Dungeness crab cocktail (office lunch out). So stuffed, my bowl is the one on the left tonight - Chicken Sofrito. Super homey deliciousness, and i’m bummed i was so full. skinnytaste recipe. a keeper - although it’s very much like the guisado i make a friend taught me. Just another yummy chicken braise with latin flavors. the broth on rice is so excellent.

9 Likes

Dungeness crab seem to be the theme tonight. Here’s to my last days in Santa Cruz see above. Looks great Maria

1 Like

Ramen. My favorite guilty Winter pleasure – a bowl of hot slurpy noodles. Ramen shops have popped up all over the place here.

So, I made an at-home quick-y version.

Garlic Shrimp & Broccoli Ramen

Prepped the ramen in the rice cooker, added some sliced mushrooms, served topped with chopped cilantro and a squeeze of lime juice.

I may have to get the matching jogging pants lol :wink:

https://www.belovedshirts.com/products/chicken-ramen-joggers?utm_campaign=Pinterest%20Buy%20Button&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Pinterest&utm_content=pinterest-buy-button-1178b8f54-0484-430f-ba7d-e7ee92b9192d

6 Likes

perfect way to eat this treat!

1 Like

The meat is removed for your convenience? I rather like taking my time eating crabs but I guess people don’t have that kind of time when eating out. And maybe don’t want to be bothered with the shell.

Thank you, Bear.

You need the hooded top, too!

4 Likes

“Leftover packet of crispy things” - does not compute. :wink:

1 Like

Ramen hoodiie. Hahahaha.