What just doesn't taste the same anymore - foods from childhood

I bought a box of hostess ho ho’s . Half the size .Everything was bad about them . No taste , bad cake flavor , chocolate terrible. And I didn’t even try to unroll it .

2 Likes

I guess that is what happens when an equity management firm buys your company and tweaks the products for maximum profit!

2 Likes

Exactly as I remember them. :slight_smile:

Always been a Hostess Chocolate Cupcake and Apple Pie kid.

I loved Hostess orange cupcakes. When Hostess first came back they were not the same. Very small, no cream. Recently I had the urge and tried them again. They were tweaked and very good again.

1 Like

Funny I used to like the Little Debbie knock off treats better. I don’t recall what their ho-ho’s were called but I much prefer the Little Debbie version over Hostess.

1 Like

I don’t know what they did to the McDonald’s Filet-o-Fish, to make it so much blander than it was 50 years ago. The fish patty is thinner and smaller, too. It used to be a favorite of mine.

1 Like

According to Smithsonian Magazine, the sandwiches were made from halibut until 1963. After that it was a succession of unnamed types of whitefish. Today it’s made from wild caught Alaskan Pollock and is sustainable. To me pollock is a lesser quality fish than say haddock or cod. I still crave them about 2X a year but I’m always disappointed & I find them quite expensive for such a small so-so sandwich.

Yes, I was shocked that it cost about $6.50.

1 Like

Green tea ones are so delicious

Me, too!

1 Like

Fresca definitely used to be better ,but the only sweetener in it hasn’t changed - it always used aspartame. I thought it was originally a grapefruit/citrus soda - now it is just called citrus. Guess I’ll have to stick to coca cola. Have you tried orangina? It’s a nice lighter drink - not low calorie however.

2 Likes

I didn’t realize they changed the name, but it makes sense because it was the grapefruit flavor that appealed to me, whatever they did they ruined it.

1 Like

Have you tried Squirt? I haven’t had it in years, but if you’re looking for grapefruit soda you may enjoy it.

https://www.dpsgproductfacts.com/product/SQUIRT_CITRUS_SODA_12

3 Likes

For grapefruit soda, both GUS and IZZE (I think) have a grapefruit soda. Both are a bit pricey, but are readily available- I haven’t seen squirt in years (although I haven’t been looking).

1 Like

Fried chicken - we had poultry time just down the road from us, til the shopping center played politics and chased him out with exorbitant rent increase (at least that was the story). Never liked anything else in there - even the side dishes. Missed to this day.

1 Like

Ugh, they had everything … chicken, duck, fried, rotisserie
What a loss

1 Like

And there’s San Pellegrino Pompelmo if you can find it.

1 Like

I really like this stuff! I had it in Guatemala for the first time years ago while sailfishing. I think I drank 8 cans or so baking in the sun.

Ernie, this is way before my day but pollack is just bland fish to fill up a bun. I wonder if they used Atlantic cod then when you had better fish. That is such a better fish and it has been decimated in the last 20 years.

I have a nostalgia for Squirt–when we lived in Detroit (mid-1970s) it was a big thing, because the bottling plant was there. (In fact, when I worked for Burroughs, one of the biggest customers our programming department had was Squirt; back then, companies did not have their own IT staffs, but got their programming from the same place they got their computers.)

1 Like