What is your favorite Le Creuset? (color, form...)

I used to have a Marseille piece – a now discontinued 3.5 quart oval. It was a great piece and a really nice color. That’s probably the only painted cast iron piece I actually miss. I do still own two smallish Staub pieces that get regular use, and I have a 3 quart casserole from the highly under-appreciated KitchenAid Streamline series somewhere in the vault (note to self to remember to look down there before buying something new). It’s “Empire red,” a great non-Le Creuset color, IMO (that would also be an “epic” thread).

I only own Le Creuset in two colors - Cerise & flame

So Cerise and flame are my two favourites, Cerise probably NUMERO UNO.

I gave my father my beige-white Le Creuset ECI pot - I like that color too, but I think that color is discontinued in the Le Creuset palette.

2 Likes

The hardest word to pronounce in the English language, IMHO.

2 Likes

Just happened back across this brilliant pot. How about…

Copper, polished or patinated?

Carbon steel blackened or scoured?

I really do not care what color or finish anything is as long as it is clean enough for food and will perform as intended, yet somehow a few times a year I find myself polishing copper or scouring CS.

2 Likes

Since I now have an induction range, my beautiful copper languishes in the cabinet — except for the braiser/casserole/ that can go in the oven and reappear as a serving dish. It gets a perfunctory polish beforehand, so it’ll look good, but not too good as in -it’s new. Well, before the pandemic …

2 Likes

If I know I’m entertaining for the Holidays (for me, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter), I’ll do a high polish of all copper that’s visible, which is a lot. It’s a chore, but one that always makes me feel more in a Holiday mood.

Not sure when that entertaining will happen again.

2 Likes

I am the same way. Along with cleaning up the copper I sharpen all the knives, clean the open shelves and range hood, oil the soapstone counters and wooden spoons and cutting boards, and refill things like pepper grinders and salt pigs and cellars. Keeping a kitchen clean is a never ending challenge. Keeping it sparkling is much harder. It sort of reminds me of starting off in the restaurant world by doing dishes and cleaning everything every freaking night. A high pressure hose with very hot water in seemingly limitless supply was such a great weapon.

2 Likes

UPDATE!!!
This thread got me thinking about LC.
I ended up purchasing a Cerise 5qt oval for $235 at the outlet last week. It’s the right size for my needs and a very good price.
If I ever see the Doufeu at a good price, I will still consider it.

4 Likes

This week was the first time in my life I started to think about polishing my copper…

Reason: I left my Falk jam pan out on my counter and I noticed how beautiful the copper looks, and also in my interior. I have an open kitchen, and normally I store the Falk somewhere else.

My Falk jampan is the only pan I treat well - I clean and dry it right after use, because it is unlined. As a result, it’s my only copper pan that stays beautiful. The matte copper exterior of the Falk jam pan is really nice if you keep it pristine - it can almost function as an art object in my interior. It matches really nicely with my year-old copper-white Moooi Heracleum suspended light.

2 Likes

The nice thing about Falk is that, with its brushed finish, you can quickly “polish” to very near the original finish just with BKF. And if you’re only going to do this one pan, you might consider giving it a little more attention by using Flitz or Simichrome on the exterior–it won’t be a mirrored finish, but there will be increased glow.

2 Likes