What is the lure of Aldi's Market?

Dark chocolate babka was a big hit with the kids this wknd. Aldi is also offering babka with red peppers and another with onion and potatoes.

We served the dark choclate as the base for a ice cream sundae and the savory ones we sliced and added to an egg bake. Very quick shortcuts for a crowd.

4 Likes

Know about those large families.

1 Like

First savory babka Iā€™ve heard of - sounds delicious, and what a great idea to use it in a bake! I bet it would make a mean strata / savory bread pudding.

1 Like

I started getting their new cage-free eggs for around $2.09 instead. Regular eggs are about $1.08 currently.

I think you meant to reply to Roosterā€¦

I didnā€™t see any babka, but sounds intriguing.

Ah yes, I couldnā€™t find my reply, now I know why :joy:

The only Aldiā€™s Iā€™m aware of anywhere near me isnā€™t actually near me, nor accessible by convenient (to me) public transportation. And since I already do most of my ā€œeverydayā€ shopping at small independent stores whose prices are much lower than my local-est chain supermarket, i have little incentive to make a time-consuming special trip to even check out Aldiā€™s. Butā€¦

It sounds like you didnā€™t actually try any of those? You canā€™t taste pretty or clever packaging or marketing verbiage, so arguably even more than not being able to ā€œjudge a book by its coverā€, how can one judge a product just by looking at it on the shelf?

Some of the babka was shelved near the bread and some of it was displayed by the check out registers.

LOL, looking under the lid is valuable. My wife and I shop everywhere, loyal to no particular market. Spoiled by ever growing options, we make a few hours of hittting up on favorite foods purchased that week by best price. Be it the butcher, Aldi, Asian market, local ShopRite, marriage mail circular or app alertā€¦we hit at least 9 stores a monthā€¦with many last min. purchases along the way.

In our area of NJ, Aldi is working around the clock to open a refurbished space, a superstore, directly across from a highway where they occupy space now while the new Lidl chain is about to open doors a state of the art superstore with big hiring signs along the same highway.

Food shopping is the new spectator sport and that little Aldi discount store is about to enter a new race.

5 Likes

Aldiā€™s gets a mention in the latest ā€œThursday Nextā€ novel by Jasper Fforde, as being part of a multiverse trade agreement, which is why you donā€™t recognize any of the brand names. (To be fair, I saw this idea suggested in someoneā€™s blog a couple of years ago.)

Iā€™ll give a thumbs-up to their ā€œSeasonā€™s Choiceā€ line of frozen vegetable blends. We really like the Wheatberry Curry, but the Harvest Blend is also good. One bag is enough for a small meal for the two of us. (I believe all the Seasonā€™s Choice products are vegan.)

1 Like

Is this reference. soon to be released Early Riser or the novel before it? Iā€™m behind in my JFf reading.

ā€œThe Woman Who Died a Lotā€. Iā€™m behind also.

To say on-topic, Aldiā€™s Greek yogurt is pretty good, though very limited in flavors.

Siggiā€™s for me. I found Aldi version too watery. Thxs for the book info.

1 Like

One lure of Aldiā€™s Market not often mentioned is that it manages to have a reasonable selection of food while still being small (as opposed to the football-field size of many supermarkets). Iā€™m getting ready to venture to a store after breaking my hip (as soon as I graduate from a walker to a cane), and the idea of being able to shop in a compact store has great appeal.

4 Likes

Sorry to hear about your hip . . . Hope you heal heal soon. The hospital tried to give me a walker, but Iā€™m too young for that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have a bad back and recently had to lean on a cane. I prefer Giant, but Redners is smaller and easier to navigate, so I get the attraction of a smaller grocery.

Take it next time you never know when you might need it, Iā€™ve got two from joint replacement surgeries. I pull one out once a month or so when there is a mobility issue. The other is for spare parts because they break.

2 Likes

I shop at Kowalskiā€™s and for the price I pay for a dozen eggs assume their chickens all wear smoking jackets.

2 Likes

Iā€™m still committed to curbside pickup. The local Shopperā€™s Food Warehouse closed a couple of years ago and is now an Aldi. Aldi outsources curbside to Instacart so the prices are inflated. My experience with Instacart in general has been poor so Aldi is not on the list for us (or Food Lion for the same reason, Trader Joeā€™s is out for not having curbside pickup at all). Giant Food, Safeway, Whole Foods, Samā€™s, Costco, and our local cheese shop all use shelf stockers as pickers for curbside and it works great.

Aldi, are you listening?

Iā€™m a self admitted old dog. I donā€™t want anyone picking out my groceries particularly produce and meat. Besides I go to the market 2-3 times a week.

6 Likes

Iā€™m no spring chicken and have been ridden hard and put away wet. Produce took some adjustment on our part but has worked out well for us. Weā€™ve had a couple of meat issues. Our grocery has been great about dealing with the rare disappointments. Two to three times per week is a lot of shopping. We meal plan and have a deep pantry and freezer. We shop once every couple of weeks.

If shopping is an outing for you then sure. Weā€™re fully vaccinated but still exercising an abundance of caution. No reason to take unnecessary risks by going into a store.

1 Like