What have you been watching lately?

So… The Bear has been named best show of 2023 by The Guardian… Really?? Lol haven’t even seen season 2 but come on…

Anyway, the list did bring me another nice show I’m now watching: Poker Face.

the Bear has been on every best of list for the year that i’ve seen. hardly a controversial stance.

huge Columbo fan, so really loved Poker Face. it’s a bit uneven, but the better episodes are really top notch. looking forward to another season.

2 Likes

I could barely get through the second season, but I believe we’ve been through this here, and I am clearly in the minority.

I also couldn’t get through one epi of Russian Doll’s season II - much as I like Natasha Lyonne, her character is so shticky… which is why I didn’t even bother with Poker Face. Should I?

Not sure if you’ll like it, but I can’t resist good whodunnits… Like anaxgorous above. It’s not perfect, but just fun.

Which is how I would characterise The Bear (at least season 1). Just a nice, fun series, nice to watch, probably too indie for my friends. If it hadn’t been hyped up. But no way I can see The Bear being the best tv show of a year that included Succession. I also didn’t like Beef (top 5 Guardian) - even some ‘simple’ French Netflix series like Lupin and Pax Masilia I found more interesting.

1 Like

Had no interest in second season of Russian Dolls. I liked the first season but it seemed kind of a one season show in term of content. I liked Poker face and some great costars show up. It’s a different “mystery” every week as she travels across country. Nice scenery also.

2 Likes

I love Columbo but am not seeing the connection! What is “Poker Face”? I’m sure I can find it, but blaming you guys for not saying something sooner.

1 Like

It’s a reimagining of Columbo. it uses the same formula for each episode plot wise, and also gets heavy lifting from guest stars, just like Columbo. I’d say it’s an ode to that great show.

2 Likes

Re: “Gilded Age” season two finale (spoiler alert):

The money inherited by Ada was one of two possibilities in my mind for how that would play out. I knew it was going to happen when she referred to the ‘lots of paperwork’ following her husband’s death.

The second was that somehow Agnes would make peace with Mr. Russell, and he would get his men to find Miss Beaton (or he’d already know her story since he makes it his business to know lots of things), and handle it that way. In return she’d befriend his wife, sort of like the deal he made with her cousin Aurora.

Yay! Watching! Also reminding me of Monk, my other favorite.

1 Like

Did you see the Monk pandemic video, with the whole cast except Shirona?
I can’t find it on YouTube, sadly.

Oh no! I was hoarding it! Am I too late?

Wait, I found it!

1 Like

And this slipped right by me, a movie released this month on Peacock.

1 Like

Thanks to Amazon Prime I’m now bouncing between Hawaii 5-0 (long way to go), Twelve O’Clock High (season 3 IN COLOR), Law and Order Los Angeles (I know it was a one-season flop but still pretty good), and Route 66!

Also going to watch the new Gary Gulman special on Max.

The Burial

wants to be Erin Brokovich, but only attains Blind Side vibes. still worked for me. a legal drama that wants to have more import than it does, with courtroom scenes that are beyond farcical. nonetheless, a few standout moments and very good performances. entertaining.

*Jamie Foxx if very good, but see Collateral for something truly stellar.

2 Likes

I started The Golden Hour, a Dutch crime show on Netflix ( Het Gouden Uur) https://g.co/kgs/Q2s3JN

We also watched Gracepoint. We had enjoyed Broadchurch so much more.

1 Like

Bank of Dave on Netflix. A true-ish, feel-good film about a businessman in a neglected community who prevails over the system.

(As a bonus, actors Joel Fry and Rory Kinnear are also in the offbeat sitcom Our Flag Means Death.)

1 Like

Halfway through the new season of Fargo, which we recorded over the last few weeks so we could binge it. Fantastic (better than the 4th season), and Juno Temple is amazing - although the entire cast is pretty great.

2 Likes

Pancakes!

2 Likes