What have you been watching lately?

Happy bday to the big man. Yes, we all know his classics, but for me I’ve always had a soft spot for Midnight Run and Falling in Love.

1 Like

Also one of my favorites. Along with Ronin!

1 Like

This one is fun.

Guy’s woman said “Don’t go to the bar”… so he just got drunk in the yard.

After reading a post on another thread I decided to look up “jag-offs” and “one doobie away” in the context of “mad knife skills”…and found this!

“What does it take to build a world-class French restaurant? What if the staff is almost entirely men and women just out of prison? What if most have never cooked or served before, and have barely two months to learn their trade?”

"Knife Skills follows the hectic launch of Edwins restaurant in Cleveland, Ohio. In this improbable setting, with its mouthwatering dishes and its arcane French vocabulary, we discover the challenges of men and women finding their way after their release. We come to know three trainees intimately, as well as the restaurant’s founder, who is also dogged by his past.

They all have something to prove, and all struggle to launch new lives — an endeavor as pressured and perilous as the ambitious restaurant launch of which they are a part. "

That was in 2017 I think. I haven’t watched it yet, but I was intrigued by the linked transcript in the New Yorker so I probably will.

2 Likes

i hadn’t watched Columbo in decades and saw that it is on peacock. This first episode is really a fun watch. Two of the future most important forces in film and television combine to deliver a great episode (dir. Steven Spielberg, !! writer Steven Bochco !!). the MVP is the villain played by Jack Cassidy (father of teen heartthrob Shaun Cassidy). the plot is routine and superfluous, it’s the dialog and Cassidy’s performance that generate the most delight.

at the very least, the scene where Columbo makes an omelette HAS TO BE SEEN to be believed.

5 Likes

I love that one! Have you seen this thread? It includes a lot of Columbo and food references.

3 Likes

I had a massive crush on Columbo as a kid.

2 Likes

I have a crush on Columbo now and I just turned 68. I didn’t watch it as a kid. We started watching as a family when our 23 year old son suggested it. We love Columbo! Some are better than others, but always enjoyable.

2 Likes

Recently watched Heat. Not sure if I had ever seen it before, but it’s very entertaining. I had no idea how much The Town borrows from it.

1 Like

This afternoon I watched an episode of ‘Wild Rivers With Tillie’ on PBS. This episode was exploring the Snake and Columbia rivers; their health, the dams, the hatcheries and salmon genetics. Freakin’ fascinating!

1 Like

Finished up the new season of Great American Baking show on Roku with judges Paul Hollywood and Prue Leith. It was enjoyable, all the contestants were accomplished and very nice people and it’s shot in the tent in England. Side comics were all right-I like Ellie Kemper but they were a bit silly also.

2 Likes

Z, A well done horror flick on Shudder. I gave it 3 screams :scream: :scream: :scream:

Also, two movies with Michael Shannon, Take Shelter and Mud (the latter also with McConaughey).

2 Likes

The very last episode of ‘The Durrells of Corfu’. :disappointed_relieved:

Just watched Rampart starring Woody Harrelson with a great supporting cast. Good flick.

I’ve been watching Unforgotten on BritBox.

TCM last night ran a series of football movies to celebrate the start of the new season and I caught Paper Lion from 1968. It’s a moderately amusing time capsule of a movie. Alan Alda looks reasonably athletic in the Plimpton role, and Alex Karras shows off his nascent acting chops. As others have noted on the internet, the “huge” players don’t seem so huge anymore. Roger Brown weighed in at 305 and the coaches demanded he get down to 285! Side notes: Coach Joe Schmidt, who showed remarkably good natured patience with Plimpton in the movie, is still alive at 91, ancient for a HOF defensive player. Tho book on which the movie is based relates to the 1963 season, when Schmidt was still playing and Karras had been suspended for betting on games, but Plimpton heard all about Karras from his teammates.

I could’ve done without the horse being blown to pieces, but at least the dog survived. And who doesn’t enjoy a good Nazi slashing? :wink:

Another side note: Plimpton’s editor is played by David Doyle of Charlie’s Angels fame. Immediately before watching Paper Lion I watched a Season 2 Naked City in which David Doyle played the basketball coach of a young man whose father moonlighted as a hitman. Ahh, the good old days.

Heat was an ensemble cast remake of L.A. Takedown. I reckon the latter did some scenes better, although Xander Berkeley chewed too much scenery.