What have you been watching lately? 2024 Edition

I enjoyed the new B&W treatment of Ripley. Gave the entire series a third character by the use of shadows and light. Acting is stellar.

2 Likes

The cinematography was unreal.

2 Likes

Yes, it somehow made it more realistic, which really doesn’t make much sense.

2 Likes

But wasn’t that part of the attraction?

Watched Under Paris on Netflix. Bad, all the way around.
And I loved Lake Placid and The Meg (first one).

Yes, so I guess the attraction was uncomfortable.

Spoiler question: the husband tried to hire the male protagonist to kill his wife. The protagonist slipped away from it. A while later the husband was killed. The female protagonist said she killed him, as the male protagonist was telling her about the husband’s plan. Did she kill him? Did he?

Bad Sisters, Appletv. Hilarious whodunnit. Fun twists.

2 Likes

OMG never have I wanted to punch a character as much as Claes Bang’s. He has a penchant for playing huge assholes.

It was a great show!

The very definition of comeuppance. The sisters are hilarious.

1 Like

They’re doing a second season which I’m not sure is a great idea. Will they stumble onto another murder to solve? Sometimes a one and done mini series is the best idea…I’ve never bothered with second season of Big Little Lies or the Flight Attendant.

I know what you mean. Killing Eve killed time, For All Mankind could have ended earlier. But sometimes sequels surprise me or get better in S2. So if the industry goes for it, I have the luxury of watching or passing. What I have enjoyed is the writing-unique storylines and actors that really shine in serial television.

1 Like

Oh I love series that continue on and on, it’s just the shows that amateur detective(s) solving a murder and then they keep stumbling onto other murders to solve. Bad Sisters was just such a perfect gem of a show and the husband was so so terrible (but a great actor!). I am looking forward to season 2 of Poker Face, loved that show, and we just started season 10 of a Danish show I love-Seaside Hotel-so I do like a good long juicy series.

1 Like

Ditto on Poker Face. That is a fun show.

1 Like

I’m now 5 or 6 episodes in on Ciao house and really enjoying it. The food they make all looks delicious unlike some of the other cooking/baking shows I watch. It’s a little too cutthroat reality show leaning-picking of teams every week and chefs voting off another chef at the end of the episode but so be it. Location, food and cats are all great and I really like the Italian judge.

3 Likes

I’ve loved the first two episodes of World Eats Bread on Hulu/National Geographic.

From IMDB: “Delectable documentary chronicling bread’s roots across cultures. Each episode unveils a staple loaf’s origins, mirroring homelands’ history and identity”

The first episode was about sourdough in San Francisco. The second was about Ramadan pide in Turkey, and the third (and last :sleepy:) is about tortillas in Guatemala. I’m hoping they make more.

3 Likes

Went back into the vaults last night to watch The Harder They Fall from 1956, Humphrey Bogart’s last film, also starring Rod Steiger and a host of familiar faces including Nehemiah Persoff, Edward Andrews, and boxing greats Max Baer and Jersey Joe Walcott.

This is another of those expose-type films so popular back then, and it’s very good. Of course, knowing Bogie would be dead months later makes it bittersweet but he went out on top.

2 Likes

I’m watching

What is it about UK TV?

ETA Although for some reason I have a terrible time telling most of the actors apart. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Oh yes. This was incredible. Haven’t started on the 3rd season yet.

Watched Nightwatch last night which was creepy & very well done. Watching the sequel tonight.

Sounds interesting.Thanks for the heads-up.

The name reminded me of Kokchack; The Night Stalker, which I loved.

1 Like