What have you been watching lately? 2024 Edition

Oh that gravelly voice of Pip Torrens in Poldark. John Hollingworth was in Poldark, also in Doc Martin, too. I haven’t seen anything good from the PO in years. Our region is heading into another reorganization of processing soon. On top of the :arrow_up: in the first class postage to 73¢ in July.
Again! Mail from my house to downtown (2-1/2 miles away) used to take a day, two days if the weekend or a holiday was in the way. Now it is 4-5 days. Another day or more will be added to that. I can send something to the west coast and it takes 3 days. I don’t get it. Gotta find some crackers and cheese to go with the whine.

Thank you for not posting a spoiler! :+1:

More to hear:

The People’s Joker (2022) - dir. Vera Drew

Holy crap. See this. Don’t read about it. Don’t watch the trailer. Just see it. An indie film that works on ALL the levels, it’s a remarkable accomplishment utilizing just about every filmmaking technique, live action, green screening, CG, stop motion, 2D animation, the film is endless in its visual variety and yet still hangs together as a cohesive whole.

Vera Drew is an experienced editor, having worked on a number of shows through Adult Swim, and boy does it show. This is at once a superhero parody, a SPECIFIC parody of Joel schumacher’s Batman films and Todd Phillp’s recent Joker, an indictment of corporate comedy, AND Drew’s own personal trans coming out story. And it somehow holds up as its own, intentional thing.

And that’s all without the fact that it took on Warner Bros. (Who issued a cease and disinterested order on it back in 2022 when it hit big at TIFF) and won a victory for fair use and parody in art.

It’s funny, it’s charming, it’s VERY smart. Go.

2 Likes

I’ve been wanting to see that since I first heard about it (and the copyright issue). I need it to get to the UK.

FWIW, I tried watching 100 Beavers upon your recommendation. Not sure what I’m missing, but we could not get past the first 15 minutes. Nope.

1 Like

Hey, that’s ok. Tastes can overlap without being a perfectly circular Venn diagram. If we all liked the same things it would be a much more boring world.

I suspect you might not care for The People’s Joker, then, if only because they share a similarly unorthodox approach to filming styles. If the weird look is not your thing, then you might not get past it.

2 Likes

This time of year and in some parts of Western Europe we are remembering the end of the second world war. There is typically a glut of war-related tv, which then subsequently also triggers my interest.

So, when I saw this Anne Frank adaptation, I checked the imdb ratings (8.4) and decided I wanted to watch this. As someone else on imdb already mentioned, it is a good mix of European artsy and Hollywood mainstream. Spoken in English, but still somewhat authentic snapshot of Amsterdam. I’m at episode 3 now and it’s not at all about Anne Frank herself, but her family and rescuers instead.

2 Likes

Perhaps not, but I’ll see if it’s available in Yurp. And often, it can be simply a mood thing.

We watched the pilot for Breaking Bad way back when and were like… nah. To this day I don’t even understand what happened there :exploding_head:, bc we gave it another shot a couple years later and were expectedly blown away.

Just watched the first two episodes of Hacks Season 3 on Max. Excellent as always!

2 Likes

Started in on Blue Lights. So far, so good.

We liked that series a lot.

I love Hacks so much. Is Ava getting a little crazier?

1 Like

See what you think!

The recent Planet of the Apes trilogy is still some of the best I’ve seen on a big screen in the last 10 years or so. Glad to see this appreciation here.

1 Like

The Fall Guy (2024) - dir. Daviet Leitch

Confession: I never watched the original The Fall Guy tv series. I was a touch too old for it in its heyday, just as I also passed by The A-Team and MacGuyver. My casual googling reveals the series plot there was somethng something Lee Majors is a bounty hunter and something something now he’s a stuntman in order to catch the bad guy. Every week. Ok. We can accept Roadhouse. Why not?

Here, Ryan Gosling is just a stunt guy who for ‘reasons’ has to find and rescue his leading man. Of course, when you are directed by the same guy that directed John Wick, you will abso-goddamn-lutely get your big crash’em’up, blow’em’up quotient and it will include judicious use of CGI (AHEM), but there’s a whole reel over the end credits showing the highly elaborate stunt setups, so stay tuned…

Oh, the movie? It’s actually far more entertaining that it has any right to be, with most of that landing squarely on the charismatic pair of Blunt and Gosling, but it’s light, it’s funny, it goes boom occasionally.

It’s exactly what I needed after emptying my mother’s condo. This whole process is like getting to do ‘a loved one has died’ but in slow motion. So a bit of entertaining zero-brain-required fluff was just what I wanted, and this delivered well above its modest expectations.

6 Likes

If you don’t know what the European Song Contest is about, well… I can’t help ya, altho the Will Ferrell flick does a pretty good job.

I’m far from a fanatic (the last one I watched was well over 20 years ago), but we got drawn into the semi-finals innocently surfing the German TV stations last night. By the time the votes were coming in, I was literally screaming at the screen for the god-awful taste people in Europe have in music.

Armenia obviously deserves to win #1 tomorrow (we’re spontaneously hosting a viewing party :partying_face:)

Estonia, tho :heart_eyes:

San Marino, however, was a personal favorite.

I honestly can’t wait for tomorrow :star_struck:

1 Like

looks like US based readers will need a VPN to view those.

1 Like

The question is… do they really want to? :wink:

The Bear season 3 is out June 27! Yay!

1 Like

RIP Roger Corman, who may have done more for American filmmaking than anyone since Samuel Goldwyn. His streak of Poe adaptations w/ Vincent Price, his championing of then-fledgling talents like Francis Ford Coppola, James Cameron, Jack Nicholson and countless others, his influence really can’t be overstated.

1. Not a bad run. See you at the theater, Roger.
4 Likes