What have you been watching lately? 2024 Edition

We started McDonald and Dodds, set in Bath, England.

So far, pretty good.

We quit the Liam Neeson movie we started, Marlowe.

One of us didn’t like the Expats (featuring Nicole Kidman) so we stopped watching it.

1 Like

We adored the Detectorists.

I’ve enjoyed McDonald and Dodds!

1 Like

We adore Diana Rigg for so much including Rachel Stirling.

2 Likes

It does! I am a big Detectorists fan and as soon as I saw the DVD set was available, I pounced on it. So entertaining and well written. When I was recovering from surgery earlier this year, I tried to play a few episodes, but they made me laugh too much and I didn’t want to bust any of the dozens of stitches of my ‘zipper’.

2 Likes

From NYT
.The Comfortable Problem of Mid TV

Should be gifted. Mentions a few shows on this thread.

2 Likes

It’s a good piece, and I agreed with a lot of it, but it’s also way too long. We get it James, move on.

1 Like

Yah I stopped a 1/3 way thru.

1 Like

I really enjoyed Fallout. The world of the games is goofy enough that I’m surprised they were able to recreate it as well as they did for the television show. The cartoonish violence of the games (heads and limbs flying off just from getting hit by gunfire and similar instances of exaggerated destruction) is something that could have gone wrong in the TV show, but they toned that down enough to work well in the show. Thought they did a nice job with the characters. Goggins’ ghoul isn’t as ghoulish as those in the games (even the non-feral ghouls) , but I thought he was great. Nice job with the naive fresh out of the vault Lucy, too. This series has the potential to go on for many seasons, IMO. I’m looking forward to them.

5 Likes

The world of video games is about as foreign to me as could be, so we were surprised how well it worked.

A friend I talked to last night actually played several seasons (?) of the game. Her husband is a huge gamer & actually studied something related to it… whatever that may be :slight_smile:

Comments are the best part of that article.

1 Like

That is so often true. Also so often the worst part. I once cancelled a subscription to a newspaper because the comments had me feeling like I didn’t belong with the crowd that was reading it.

3 Likes

Thanks for the recommendation - will definitely watch it at some point. I had my fair share of gaming episodes throughout my life, though not this one.

I’ve been holding off watching this series and some other highly rated newer ones (Shogun) as I’m enjoying a phase of ‘mid tv’! Lol. Miami Vice and Veronica Mars, both very enjoyable by the way.

1 Like

We finished Mr. Bates vs. The Post office on Sunday and finished the sequel/making of last evening. And yet it still continues. Nice to see some familiar faces in the cast and see the faces of the real victims.

1 Like

Baby Reindeer, 2024

i can see this turning off a lot of viewers. the level of darkness and the inscrutable tone shifts can be jarring. watching the first episode i didn’t even really know what this was trying to be. it evolves into a cohesive form over time though. sometimes the worst moments in life can yield great art in the right hands. i think that’s the case here.

3 Likes

Loving Loot on Apple TV+. Make sure you watch the episode where Molly goes to a meditation retreat!

Pip Torrens ! on top of Alex Jennings.

We have our own Mr. Bates in the news. Here, it’s Department of Defense malfeasance trying to bludgeon the worker:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/how-an-ordinary-guy-took-a-3-000-case-to-the-supreme-court/ar-AA1o26rl

1 Like

Yeah that was so funny.

1 Like

I was actually thinking of her gorgeous co-star… :heart_eyes:

He looked great! I love that he played himself…

1 Like