What goes on your burger

No burger without cheese for me, ever.

2 Likes

I find 8oz patties unnecessary. Anywhere from 4-6 works best for me.

5 Likes

I read that the cheese under the meat is because that way the cheese hits the taste buds first, better for texture and flavor.

3 Likes

Wow. I will listen to the NPR then.

Gross-Funny Hamburger Anecdote:

Yesterday’s mail brought a flier promoting a business called “Smart Cremation”. Specifically, it invited people to attend a “FREE Seminar and Meal”. 2/3 of the flier was a photo of a cheeseburger plate that looked really good. The rest was boilerplate about
cremation.

May I have a little more Aunty on my burger, please?

11 Likes

Pepper Jack and Muenster are my 2 go-tos these days, partly because those are the sliced sandwich cheeses I’m most likely to have on hand. Actually, cheese does not appear on homemade burgers around here more often than it does.

Have used aged white cheddar, aged Swiss and smoked Gouda and liked them. Bleu doesn’t work on a burger for me. Best cheeseburgers using cheddar I’ve had used shredded sharp. Both those places are gone, though.

2 Likes

Just so the phrase “flame-broiled” doesn’t appear anywhere.

And they don’t offer take-away boxes, or urns.

5 Likes

80% chuck from my butcher
Ketchup

Optional:

Bread and butter pickle chips
Lettuce
Tomato only if in season

I don’t usually have buns, but if I do it’s always the local specialty: potato rolls.

4 Likes

Omg, I’m Microsoft too! :joy:

2 Likes

1/4 - 1/3 lb beef burger, hand patted with 80/20 if possible, and grilled
Cheese, always - usually Tillamook medium cheddar, sliced from block (melts better), sometimes T. PepperJack, occasionally gruyere
Toasted sesame bun
Mayo, Ketchup, sometimes light BBQ sauce
Whatever lettuce is on hand
Fresh onion, preferably Walla Walla Sweet, Bermuda or regular Spanish (last choice)
In a perfect world I’d have fresh fried onion straws or onion rings on the burger - doesn’t usually happen unless going out for one!

• I season patties with Penzey’s Chicago Steak Seasoning usually, sometimes blending into the mix with some garlic powder
5 Likes

I used to always do that, but within the last year or so do two 2.5oz patties smashed with a slice of cheese atop both. Way more browned beef flavor and cheesyness. IMHO best burger ever.

3 Likes

Yum, what’s not to love about that!

1 Like

At home, we grill them with some type of cheese (sorry, haters), usually a blue or cheddar. I don’t usually get a burger at a sit-down restaurant. Fast food burgers are a guilty pleasure. I had my fourth ever in my life Whopper a few weeks back, that was delightful. And in the past couple of weeks I’ve gone to Habit Burger Grill, and I very much like their burgers, they come with lettuce and a visible tomato slice. I went there the first time mainly for the tempura green beans, which weren’t as good as I had hoped. The next time, same with the onion rings, but their fries are a great accompaniment, and I dot’ like fries much usually.

1 Like

I’ve probably had nearer to 4000 whoppers.
:slight_smile:
They used to actually be flame broiled in the old days.

I’m a blue cheese guy too but I had no idea it was so polarizing.

3 Likes

I like my burgers on a cheap bun . Cooked on cast iron . Super thin with American cheese and sautéed onions. No condiments needed.

4 Likes

Hey- so am I

1 Like

You know they keep forever. You can probably slip them into a time capsule
maybe someone has done that.

Quality ground beast, a brush of A-1 or Heinz 57, grilled over a gas grill to medium with slices of cheddar and american cheese. Mort’s sauce (inspired from a childhood favorite burger joint-- mayo, cocktail sauce, dill relish), on the bottom bun with iceberg lettuce, ripe beefy-steak tomato, a paper thin slice of red onion, yellow mustard on the top bun. Alternately, a smashed onion grilled patty with american cheese topping and yellow mustard on top of the cheese. Both on quality soft sesame seed buns. Then there’s the grilled real mushrooms with swiss on a juicy burger with just butter lettuce on a brioche bun with no condiments ( a golf course favorite). And the sometimes no bun, just burger patty with a mayo and A-1 sauce mix dollop. I loved them all, but have veered toward the non meat patties or homemade turkey burgers, extra dilled. The night before I had my gall bladder surgery, I spent the time I should have been sleeping to say good bye to the foods that I wouldn’t be spending time with in the future. :dizzy_face:

3 Likes

One upscale mini chain in Toronto has a blue cheese and avocado burger I used to enjoy.

I really liked The Spotted Pig’s roquefort -topped burger in NYC. (The Spotted Pig has closed - very awful stuff was happening there)

2 Likes

5 Likes