What food if any do you hide from your family so only you can eat it, and not share?

This is precisely the situation I was talking about. It’s only 1 or two things with me, and it’s always the kids who have eaten most before I even get around to it. If I’ve bought an ingredient for a recipe, I can typically just announce that people shouldn’t eat it, and they’re ok with that.

2 Likes

My god!

Are we related?

Part of my 21st birthday wish when I blew out the candles was for a bowl of fish eyeballs.
:yum:

3 Likes

Yep, that gelatinous goo is mighty tasty.

Amazing flavor. That’s some eye fat magic. Love it when people eat a walleye and throw away the eye and cheek.

1 Like

I don’t think there is any kind of food that I will hide from my family or not share it at any point because I love eating with friends or people around so that I can enjoy the food. I don’t find any nice food that I can share either. Okay maybe when I hide food from my family, maybe I want to get to a friend that when a family member finds it, they will eat it immediately and maybe I cannot prepare or get more of it…

I love the cheek, but never thought to try the eye. :roll_eyes:
Next time!

Bone marrow is another thing. I love the stuff, and pick up throw aways.

Could you elaborate? Bc your reply doesn’t really say much of anything.

1 Like

You are prickly lol. I agree though.

2 Likes

AI can only do so much :wink:

I don’t intentionally hide food. But if I’ve cooked a roast chicken, often there’s some urgent tidying required in the kitchen. A subsequent inspection of the remains of the bird may establish that the chicken oysters are no longer there.

10 Likes

Reviewing several posts, I think the prime directive is “sit on fence”.

2 Likes

When I would visit my mother when her husband was still alive I would hide food from him when I was there. Some examples were special cheeses I would buy, portions of my mother’s homemade potato salad and ham salad from a deli that I loved. We would share these things, but then I wanted to save some for myself. He was a voracious eater and would just polish off everything with no thought about anyone else. Since he could not see out of his right eye. I would hide food in the back of the bottom right hand vegetable crisper drawer in Mom’s refrigerator where I knew he would not be able to find it (or even think of looking there) and it always worked. If the food did not require refrigeration, I would stash it in my luggage.

I did not do this to be mean, but he was so inconsiderate I had to practice self-defense since this was food I only got to eat once or twice a year.

13 Likes

OMG. :trophy:

5 Likes

I share very special cheeses like Rogue blue with my husband. Our son avoids such cheese like the plague. However, my husband eats lots more than I do, and a lot more quickly, so I have been known to stash a small portion at the back of the cheese drawer.

5 Likes

Yes! Kindred spirit. Rogue is exactly it for me, the difference being that my husband will be very respectful and eat it daintily, whereas my 20 y.o. son (all his life), will eat it 3 oz at a time.

2 Likes

I don’t really hide anything, but there are some things that I only bring out for a selected few. For those I know will really appreciate it.
This applies to items that are next to impossible to get and that I get in from Europe and also my homebrew.
Some get, others can just tuck into the commercial beers I stock :wink:

3 Likes

I hide dark chocolate chips, normally used for baking. But they are one of my main food groups.
Things I don’t have to hide but can only cook when all the windows can stay open: ham hocks.

2 Likes

I’ve never thought of ham hocks as something that required constant fresh air when cooking.
Is the rest of the family complaining? :thinking:

2 Likes

Dare I ask what the other part was? :laughing:

3 Likes

A plate of bacon.

Am I a bad person?

4 Likes