What food if any do you hide from your family so only you can eat it, and not share?

I don’t do this too often, but at the moment, only my husband knows that I have a little hunk of Rogue River smoky blue. But he doesn’t know where I have it!

7 Likes

What happens if he holds the crackers hostage till you break?

2 Likes

I will happily eat it straight up :slight_smile: But my preferred vehicle is apple or pear slices rather than crackers.

2 Likes

black rice cookies, it is a delicious cookies.

1 Like

Cheeze-its. I don’t buy them often b/c I will eat them far too quickly. When I do have them around I actually hide them from myself.

2 Likes

I buy them at Costco for my 2 boys, and they eat more than their weight of them, really fast, so the other doesn’t eat them all!

1 Like

I don’t hide my favorite foods from friends and family. For me, everything tastes better when I share it.

2 Likes

You are a better person than me :slight_smile: I get it. Food is my love language too, and I love to feed people. But some people will scarf something that I would savor, and then I really hardly get any.

3 Likes

Fortunately (I guess for me), no one in my family is interested in many of the things I like - bleu and other strong cheeses, sardines, herring, smoked whitefish, Brussels sprouts, cured meats, etc. I’m a throwback to my Ashkenazi grandparents.
My vegan daughter is pregnant, and I can only hope that the kid will like what I like. It would be nice to have some company! I was introduced to smoked fish and strong cheeses by my Russian Jewish grandfather. We would go to the deli together and then eat our food while everyone else was walking around holding their noses. So maybe I’ll do the same with my future grandson!

7 Likes

It has nothing to do with being a better person.

Part of the pleasure in special foods for me is eating them with someone else so we can talk about what we enjoy about them.

It’s like how seeing a film is more fun with someone else so you can discuss it.

1 Like

My people are Russian Jews too - well Ukranian - and they also loved the strong flavors. Certainly smoked and pickled fish, always the garlic and onions. Blue cheese wasn’t part of their repertoire though. Enjoy your soon to be grandbaby!

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

I’m Ashkenazi through and through and can say the same. We love our whitefish, our herring, or lox, and all the pickles as well as chopped liver, but blue cheeses were not on my grandparents’ plates as far as I remember. Maybe on the Belgian side later on, but yeah… the strong flavours tended not to be milchig.

5 Likes

Completely with you. The joy is in the sharing.

1 Like

Oooops - forgot to mention the chopped liver and the pickles. My vegan daughter did inherit my love of pickles and sauerkraut. She grabbed her first half-sour at a local deli when she was 6 months old!

3 Likes

Your daughter is probably hoping the same thing for herself :laughing:

Wishing her and you all the best for the family expansion. May all be healthy and happy. :pray:t4:

3 Likes

Thanks! I’m sure you’re right about my daughter. Guess it will be up to the kid to decide. Based on my own childhood experiences, I never put any pressure on anyone to eat a certain way. Life’s too short!

1 Like

Fish heads.

If fish had two (or more) heads, I would happily share. But alas, all the fish I know only have only one head.

2 Likes

Nobody I know except me likes fish heads, especially the eyeballs. I would share, but I get them to myself by default.

What I find frustrating is when I’m eating out with squeamish people who request that I don’t order fish that comes with the head.

2 Likes

I don’t really hide anything for myself, but I can understand the urge to. Sometimes the urge is to preserve stuff for me - the one example I can think of is the chocolate bars with the little chips of toffee scattered throughout. When all the daughters are home I can buy 4 of them on Tuesday and look on Friday only to find all of them gone. But I haven’t gotten `round to actually implementing my nefarious scheme just yet.

Other times it’s to preserve stuff for family cooking. Two items here, sweetened condensed milk and coconut milk. Again the problem is the daughters when they’re visiting. They’ll start making frou-frou coffee-latte-frou-frou-chinos, go nuts baking deserts, or whatever and use them all up. So I’m getting ready to start a Thai or Malaysian or whatever dish needing a couple of cans of coconut milk, only to find 3 of the 4 that I just bought gone. I have actually hidden coconut milk (2 cans of 4 bought) against this happening.

Now if I can just remember where I hid them… just kidding, I trip on them all the time. Daughters never think to look in bags on the floor of the pantry.

5 Likes