What Fast Food Chain Do You Love?

I prefer Popeye’s over KFC, and the last time I had KFC it gave me horrible GI issues. Never again.

2 Likes

There’s an old warhorse of a recipe from the Silver Palate Cookbook, called Chicken Marbella. It has an honored spot on many holiday tables. I always make it with chicken thighs- bone in, skin on, instead of a cut up chicken. Nice and moist. It’s crucial to leave the chicken pieces intact for the recipe, whether or not you use all the parts. A friend liked mine so much she decided to make it herself- with boneless, skinless thighs. Result: sauced hockey pucks. I prefer chicken on the bone, especially fried chicken! If you’re not eating it with your hands, what’s the problem with using a knife and fork? But I have friends who only want boneless chicken, whatever the prep. And that extends to wings, even. :woman_shrugging:t3: I’d like to see a bird fly with boneless wings.
M
And to Cooks Illustrated, and Ina Garten, and everyone else who has “updated” or “improved” the recipe, you’d do a DIY repaint of the Sistine Chapel ceiling, just to make it “pop”. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

5 Likes

I have female friends like that, too. I have no clue why they’ve developed that stricture.

2 Likes

I think some people don’t like being reminded that chicken comes from an animal that has bones.

Hence we have those (boneless) chicken wings.

1 Like

I went to Popeyes chicken for the first time last week . Did i enjoy the sandwich. Yes . Did it look like the commercial. No . But everybody knows that .

2 Likes

Same as @Phoenikia observation. I know at least one woman who told me that the reason is that the bones and structure give a much better reminder that it was from an animal. I have another friend believe the chewing the bones is bad for her teeth.

3 Likes

I also like the fried chicken at Winco.

For me it depends on the other diners. Chicken with bones for me is messy . . . I’ll eat it with friends and close family, but usually not with colleagues. But I’m weird . . . I only eat French Onion soup with people I’m comfortable with too.

2 Likes

True. Chicken with bones is also trickier for people who have issues with their teeth, especially the front teeth, if it’s the type of chicken one would eat off the bone.

Good point. When I was young I had a bad fall that took out my front teeth. I’ve never had a problem with the crowns, but maybe I’m just more careful than most?

That would be my sister, even though she takes great care to only buy humanely raised meat… which she’ll gladly tell anyone who didn’t ask.

4 Likes

Who gnaws on chicken bones? The meat is the prize!
Bones just make great handles.
:slight_smile:

3 Likes

Messy fingers, meat stuck in the teeth, ligaments and connective tissue, calories compared to boneless skinless. I don’t share the aversion but I get it.

4 Likes

People who eat chicken feet and necks. Like me!

7 Likes

My mom . . . and I suppose the rest of her generation who grew up during the depression? Of course, she sometimes had to battle an evil cat for the privilege :wink:

3 Likes

I am going to say this without shame.

I really really like the “new” (or more precisely “reintroduced”) KFC Double Down. Not something I can or will eat regularly, but sometimes I just want a shot of cheap whiskey chased with a gulp of Red Bull, and the Double Down scratches that itch.

4 Likes

Pretty much everywhere and on every topic. Or so it appears.

1 Like

There was recently a law suit filed, wasn’t there, about boneless wings and that being false advertising because they weren’t wings? Some attorneys will sue no matter what, to see if it sticks. Kind of crazy. I tried Popeye’s chicken sandwich once, and like you all who don’t get the CFA craze, I don’t get the Popeye’s craze. But I love CFA. Not their politics. As @gaffk said above (I think?), if I boycotted everyone and thing who I disagreed with… Actually I do sometimes boycott. But I can’t part with CFA. Fortunately, it’s a long drive for me, so I might have it only 4-5/yr. Also, here is another reason people might dislike on the bone fried chicken. I’ve not seen them remove the skin with bone in, but they frequently will for boneless. I don’t like the skin. It’s always flabby/chewy/unpleasant for me. So I steer clear of fried chicken on the bone. I know. Minority position.

4 Likes

As a youngster, all our meats, poultry, and fish seemed to have bones.
The way they’re prepared nowadays and changing public desires have led to something vastly different than back then.