What Fast Food Chain Do You Love?

Not yo fries?

What fast food chain do I love?

It is certainly not Burger King.

WTF is this? When was the Maillard reaction a thing for biscuits??

Screenshot 2022-11-29 at 10.20.27 AM

1 Like

The BK by me is not to be trusted. I think they sell more dope than food.

1 Like

I think Wawa is in a separate category of convenience store/gas station food along with Sheetz. Royal Farms, Filling Station, etc.

2 Likes

I tried the BK croissantwich last week, at a newly opened BK, to compare it to a recent Breakfast Sandwich at Wendy’s. This new location in a mid-sized Canadian city seemed very understaffed and slow. They didn’t even have coffee available as part of the combo, so I took an orange juice.

They won’t be staying in business for too long at this rate. The original BK, located about 2 miles further south, at a busy intersection, kitty corner to a McD’s and now closed Dairy Queen, had a 20 year run, from around the late 70s to late 90s. It was replaced by a Greek diner for around 15 years, and has been a chain diner (Wimpy’s Diner in Canada, no relation to Wimpy’s Burgers in the UK) for around 10 years.

I wonder if the new BK owners even know that a BK that was at one time successful, had gone out of business in the same part of town.

What makes this more interesting, is that the McD’s located across from the original BK has been a test market McD’s in Canada for over 50 years, and continues to be one of the most successful McD’s locations in Canada. The Wendy’s, Dairy Queen, Taco Bell, Baskin Robbins, Harvey’s, Burger King, Frank Vetere’s, Fuddrucker’s and KFC that operated within one mile of this location have all gone out of business over the past 40 years, and McD’s keeps on going.

Another Wendy’s, a small one, opened up between the successful McD’s and the new slow BK, and it is doing okay.

1 Like

During my college years I could and did eat an enormous amount of food, I’m talking a whole chicken, fries followed by a huge dessert…and I never gained an ounce of weight. I started dating a student who managed a local mcdonalds. When she closed, she brought all the unsold food back to her apt for my consumption. After a week of eating a prodigous amount of leftovers, I realized I never wanted to eat, see or smell another mcdonalds burger for the rest of my life. Forty years later I still haven’t had another mcdonalds burger.

unfortunately, I started gaining weight in my mid thirties and eventually turned to intermittent fasting. It’s helped me maintaing a healthy weight but elminated breakfast and lunch, prime fast food opportunities. I rarely want to “waste” my one meal on fast food which I suppose is a feature, not a bug.

Having said that, my favorite chains are shake shack, IO and popeyes. Our place in fl is close to culvers and I’ve been tempted. to swing by but pretty sure I can make a better burger at home.

Haven’t read the entire thread, wondering if anyone has mentioned Bucees? Had the brisket sandwich, best I can say is “good for a gas station” but not looking to head back. It is a lot of fun and I suggest everyone stop by at least once.

best,

3 Likes

My friend who worked at Mrs Field’s cookies used to give me dozens of cookies at the end of the day. In the 90s, they ground a few day olds up for base for their squares, but most were thrown out, if rye didn’t give them away.

The food I stopped eating after overexposure 20 years ago is Swiss Chalet rotisserie chicken.

1 Like

What’s IO?

I’m guessing In N Out?

1 Like

Skip the burgers at Culvers. Instead go for their fish sandwich, and onion rings (which are some of the best you’ll find). Shakes, of course, aren’t bad either.

1 Like

yup!

Who’s to say automated tellers won’t be asking for living wages in a couple of months?

#BecauseChatGPT

1 Like

So…we should pay people shit wages so that corporations don’t get rid of people altogether?

1 Like

Even if the pay was my very first wage of $1.65 an hour corporations would still be downsizing staff whenever they could through automation. Been happening for quite a while-- like 200 years or so. Meanwhile, here in Portland $21 an hour is the going rate for dishwashers & $25 for line cooks. & help is still hard to find but that more 'cause Apt rents are for people making $90K a year not $40K.

Meanwhile…The burger flipping robot has been recently joined by the fries robot. I suspect MickeyD’s VP’s went Cool! we’ll take 20,000 to start.

2 Likes

I’d say hold out for the walleye sandwich, it’s seasonal. Gotta have some frozen custard, though.

1 Like

If you pay them more, the cost of living just goes up and you get an inflated same sht different day. I want everyone to be rich; but putting more money into what are usually stepping stone jobs will just make prices rise accordingly. Pay all the folks at Subway $20 ands hour, the sub will become much more difficult to sell with the price increase.

1 Like

How about we DON’T pay overpay CEOs and instead use that money for fair wages for what you call stepping stone jobs but are actually all too often permanent dead end jobs?

5 Likes

And how are you going to regulate the amount a CEO gets. I get it’s greatly unfair; but how to regulate. We don’t pay CEOs, their investors do. The investors like profit, so they try to keep the bottom line cheap.

It’s a dead end job if you stop where you are and don’t move up/on.

When you pay Popeye’s dish washer $20 and hour, everyone with better jobs will want more, too, and need more, if they’re going to eat Popeye’s. So now we have $20 Popeye’s dishwasher in the same place s/he was; but making $20. If Popeye’s dishwasher makes $20, then everybody else with harder jobs want that extra $9 and hour. So, now we’re making greater money but not to our advantage at all. Created inflation.

1 Like

We’re getting dangerously close to politics, but here in Southern Oregon we have FF places offering well above minimum wage ($13.50 here) and still begging for workers.
The pandemic has had and will have a lasting effect on jobs and lifestyles.

1 Like