What Fast Food Chain Do You Love?

Lol

I sincerely appreciated this!

Best line: “The sandwich was delicious for what it was: a cheap product where the true cost is carried by marginalized people and animals besides the consumer”

Which HO wrote it?

I agree, I think the Beyond and Impossible burgers, and most vegetarian products that aim to simulate meat (Chick’n, Morningstar Farms, etc.), are marketed towards people avoiding meat for political/ethical/environmental reasons, not those who don’t like the taste/texture of meat. If you’re grossed out by meat, they’re certainly nothing appealing there.

1 Like

Soleil Ho! :slight_smile:

1 Like

While I don’t disagree with her take, the article is a bit elitist. The Popeye’s chicken sandwich is $3.99. The list of alternate places she cites to get a fried chicken sandwich are 2-3 times the price, which is simply not affordable for many people.

2 Likes

FYI

2 Likes

I feel like I’ve typed the same response to the same question about a million times, and for much longer than BeyondImpossible burgers have been around. I don’t want to accuse anyone of being willfully disingenuous, but sheesh, what else could account for so much slack-jawed confusion about the popularity of meat substitutes that actually seem like substitutes for meat? Pretty sure I’m not the only one who’s noticed that the Amazon rainforest is on fire.

5 Likes

We’re doing our best to cut beef out for that very reason*. If I weren’t such a variety and protein-whore, I’d be vegan or vegetarian by now. There’s def some cognitive dissonance being tolerated.

*ETA: I just realized I had beef pho for lunch yesterday. Fail. Old habits die hard!

1 Like

As someone who

1. buys only wild caught gulf shrimp at Whole Foods
  2. gets shrimp & lobster sauce delivered from the local Chinese takeout

I feel you.

3 Likes

In case anyone had forgotten how much fun it is to work in a fast food restaurant.

1 Like

I decided to try Habit Burger today. I’m sorry to report that it was terrible. There wasn’t much flavor, the bun was dry and much too thick, and the fries were stale. This was in Albany, CA.

Sorry I edited that after the fact because the wording was so awkward. Hopefully my point comes across :slight_smile:

Good grief. I posted to the wrong thread…my bad.

1 Like

Welcome home! See you in WFD :slight_smile:

1 Like

If memory serves, the best thing there would be tempura green beans.

1 Like

Oh, yes.

1 Like

Wow. Talk about hyperbole!

Still in high school, my mom convinced me to get my nurse assistant cred instead. Thirty years later and still ambivalent. Just a little.

1 Like

As someone who’s diet is wrapped around CKD, I’ve seen zero so far about the true health benefits and dangers from this cascade of new products. My nephrologist wants me to eat more meat for the protein.
A fair amount of fruits and vegetables are on my no no list because of high potassium and phosphorus.
I’m gonna have to delve more deeply into what all this is really made of. I heard peas on the radio, but I have a feeling there’s a lot more involved.

1 Like