What do you never order at a restaurant, and why?

For me, it’s a few things. The ever-present, lazy charcuterie plate comes to mind. I don’t care what wonderful selection of fancy meats & cheeses is available at any given place, but I can slap those on a wooden board with a lil fig jam, Marcona almonds, fancy mustard or similar accoutrements and call it a day. There is zero skill involved in putting it together, and I’m most certainly not paying an upcharge for that.

Steak and most chicken dishes are also rarely of interest to me – too easy to make at home well, with fairly little skill involved.

When I go out for a meal, it’s to indulge in dishes for which I don’t have the time, competence, patience or access to ingredients & necessary cookware. The last thought I want to be leaving with is “I could’ve made this, and possibly better.”

What are your ‘nope’ dishes when you go out?

9 Likes

Pasta.

And the other way round: Tempura and other deep fried foods.
(I don’t do deep-frying at home)

6 Likes

Never say never, but there are two basic categories of things I’m very unlikely to order:

Stuff I can make perfectly well at home. Like you, it’s very rare that I order the cheese plate, since I have plenty of nice cheese.

Stuff for which there is apparently no good version. I’ve had so much bad deep-fried calamari that I think all of it must just be bad.

1 Like

That’s so interesting! I’m one of those idjits who almost always gets pasta at Italian restos, even though I make killer pasta at home. In fact, my killer pasta dishes were so killer last summer we never even went to an Italian restaurant :scream:

The other way around has some threads (although there was also a similar, older version of this, my new one ;-)), but I agree on deep-frying at home being a nope. Shitty ventilation n 'at.

3 Likes

Calamari is one of the few things I have actually made at home, frying oil stench residue in the entire house be damned (tho it’s been a while). I just toss them in seasoned cornstarch & they’re done in seconds. I’ve had decent versions out, but it’s not a must-order for me.

1 Like

I won’t say never order, but rarely order. Chicken dishes, and sometimes pasta dishes. I think it depends on how the chicken is prepared, and what they’re charging. And sometimes I just want pasta with whatever mix-ins that have enticed me upon ordering.

3 Likes

Never say never indeed :wink:

But what would this site be without absolutes, definitives, and rock-hard convictions? Sure, I coulda included a few what ifs and buts… but where’s the fun in that?

4 Likes

Specials of the day.

Care to elaborate? Are you in the Bourdain camp of thinking that’s just shit they wanna get rid of or?

Liver and onions
Wild boar
Venison
Moose
Bison
Elk

Chili
Pasta with tomato sauce
Gnocchi with tomato sauce

1 Like

Because those are things you don’t like? Or do you make those better at home?

Same here. I can make fresh pasta at home.

1 Like

I also rarely ever order a burger out, unless I am at a place that specializes in them. It’s pretty rare that I go to burger places, however.

The few times I might order a burger is if there is nothing else of interest on the menu, and my impression is that it might be the only good thing there. But those outings are generally not of my choosing.

1 Like

I know there are “specials” that are legit, but I’ve heard my restaurant cook kid talk about food costs enough to know that many specials are designed to minimize waste. After a few memorably bad experiences I just order off the regular menu.

2 Likes

I only would eat those to be polite if I was a guest

The daily specials at French and Italian restaurants in Montreal are often the best value and most interesting.

The soup of the day using up leftovers at a greasy spoon is another matter .

I once had a meal at a hotel restaurant that used bran muffins from breakfast in their bread pudding that was served after dinner. :joy:

1 Like

Dishes I don’t order at formal restaurants:

Roast chicken
Pork chops
Chicken breast

I roast chicken around once a week so I’m not craving it at restaurants. I don’t like chicken breast as much as dark meat so I’m not tempted by chicken breast.
I make pork chops at home. Not interested in most restaurant versions, except for Vietnamese pork chops, which I do order.

1 Like

Milos does a good fancy fried calamari. That’s the gold standard for what I want. In Toronto, Joso’s makes a nice fancy version.

Fried calamari is something I order out. I do not make it at home. I am fuddy about fried calamari so I only order it at restaurants that make a better version.

1 Like

I want to believe you, but even over-priced Greek places screw it up, according to me.

1 Like

If someone invited you to a restaurant you would order any of those dishes/meat sources? I’m confused. Why would you order something you don’t care for just bc someone else is paying?