What do you like? French Fries or Alternative Fried Foods?

I also like the Cantonese salt and pepper squid too. However, same problem too… some places can overly seasoned and overly oiled. It is nice to find a place which does a good job for these fried foods.

2 Likes

Definitely. But I’ve been burned less often at Chinese restaurants than at the places that serve fried calamari, which tend to be sports bars and the like.

That’s a good point. Italian restaurants tend to do a good job as well. But I agree that Chinese restaurants usually do a good job.

One more thing that comes to mind is fried zucchini slices.

We have a place in P’ville (in a strip mall behind the McDonalds no less) that has pretty amazing fried fish (actually prefer the Pollock over the more expensive Cod). And while their fries are “ok”, the fried zucchini is delicious.

Fried eggplant is amazing, too. It becomes so velvety, nutty & creamy. I love it in a falafel sandwich.

I support Culver’s, and think most of their offerings are fresh and hot. Their prices do reflect that, though. They ain’t cheap. Fries are ho-hum, though.

When I deep fry at home, I love to make egg rolls.

1 Like

The Culver’s here has problems. They’ve been 50% (2/4)on getting my orders right. I’ve liked the food for the most part. I appreciate that they have soups. My last visit was a few days ago, and I thought the potato bacon soup pretty good. Enjoyed the Wisconsin Melt and onion rings, too. So far I’ve only used the drive-thru.

Judging from Yelp, I’ve been lucky. 29 reviews there with 18 of them being 1-Star. Mostly people complaining about wrong orders and very long waits.

2 Likes

Two fried eggplant slices serving as the ersatz bun, sandwiching tomatoes, köfte, biber turşusu (pickled green peppers), and minty garlicky yogurt sounds neat.

Fried cauliflower and tahini was a college snack.

And when in China, it’s fried mantou with condensed milk.

2 Likes

Esp. if sliced nice and thicc, fried in hot duck fat and garnished with a healthy dose of salt. :yum:

And, really, why limit it to just China. I vote “Earth”

Some Greek restaurants in nyc serve an appetizer of battered, thinly sliced (mandolined) zucchini and eggplant which is addictive.

I don’t eat the eggplant, but the paper thin zucchini as a vehicle for salty, light and crisp batter and dip is fantastic. Like thin onion rings / straws / strings.

1 Like

That would be kolokythakia tiganita and melitsanes tiganites. One of my favorite Greek apps. Usually served with tzatziki for dipping.