What do you like? French Fries or Alternative Fried Foods?

Culvers does good ones. Theyre made to order, so hot and fresh, and run a good chance of having a strip of screaming hot real onion fall across your chin.

2 Likes

Never seen a Culvers. I do them at home with either a tempura or beer/flour/cornmeal batter and luv them.

2 Likes

Sorry, dont know where younare. Culvers is Wisconsin based but all across the southeast now.

Everything is cooked to orderā€¦probably the only fast food Ill choose on purpose (rather than choose outnof desperation)

Culverā€™s also has locations as far north as Michigan. I tried it near Detroit. Good place to eat.

1 Like

Culverā€™s opened here recently. Onion rings will be one of the first things I try. Iā€™m giving them a little time to get their act together before I start going there. Iā€™m thinking basic Butterburger, onion rings, and cheese curds on my first trip. Their menu looks fairly interesting for a fast food place. Iā€™ve seen video reviews saying their fried cod is good. Wisconsin Swiss Melt interests me, as well. Iā€™ve heard their chicken noodle soup is good. Heard their pot roast can be good, but sometimes not.

There are only two Yelp reviews of the location so farā€“a 5 star and a 1 star. The 1 star was mainly because order took a long time and was very wrong, and even after Culverā€™s tried again, they still didnā€™t get it exactly right. Iā€™ve only been to a Culverā€™s once (in a different location), and they got my order wrong, too. Still looking forward to trying my local Culverā€™s.

FWIW, Freddyā€™s Steakburgers makes pretty good onion rings. Those and their patty melt is my usual order from Freddyā€™s.

2 Likes

Their fried cod is excellent, whether on a sandwich or as the platter. The chicken tenders are moist and delicious and are really chicken, not expelled and formed nuggets

All the Midwest-born folks also go there for their breaded pork loin sandwiches.

The pot roast is good but not their best work.

I often eat lunch there when Im on the road as theor salads are really fresh and they usually have open wifi

2 Likes

I had Culverā€™s last night, and it was hit and miss. Part of the miss was because I went through the drive-thru.

The cod was great, much better than I would expect from a fast food place. I got the platter. For my sides I ordered onion rings and mashed potatoes & gravy. ā€¦and they got my order wrong. I had decided I was just going to take what they gave me because the place was extremely busy. Checked the receipt, onion rings on there, smelled onions in the car, so I figured they were there, but it must have been the onions on my burger. No onion rings when I got home and unpacked. Oh well, next trip. Didnā€™t care for the mashed potatoes & gravy. The gravy wasnā€™t to my liking, and I donā€™t think the potatoes had been cooked enough before they were mashed. They gave me crinkle fries instead of the onion rings. I like freshly cooked crinkles, but by the time I got home, these were limp and not good at all, having steamed in the plastic container with the cod. The cod was still crisp, and Iā€™d expect it to be even better if eaten at the restaurant. Donā€™t know if the onion rings would have held up, but Iā€™ll order them as a separate item when I get cod again.

I ordered a Butterburger, expecting it to be a single, but the receipt showed a double. I decided to overlook that error, and when I got home it was indeed a double. The meat on the burger was good, but I wish theyā€™d use a bun with more body, a denser bun. It gets squashed flat just handling the burger, same issue I recall from the only other time Iā€™ve had a burger from Culverā€™s. Good burger but I think it would have been better as a single.

Cheese curds tasted good but suffered from not being eaten immediately.

Next time Iā€™ll get the Wisconsin Swiss Melt and if Iā€™m lucky the onion rings.

2 Likes

Yeah, their fries are a serious weak link. If theyre screaming hot theyā€™re just ok, but I just toss them if theyre not.

1 Like

In a second- theyā€™re so rare I didnā€™t think of them until I saw your post, but wow, theyā€™re so good

When it comes to more widely available alternatives, weā€™re also big on The Habitā€™s tempura green beans.

1 Like

Thanks for mentioning this. Thereā€™s a Habit Burger less than a mile from my house that Iā€™ve never been to, but Iā€™m going there right now for some tempura green beans. And maybe a burger. :yum:

1 Like

Fried artichoke hearts, fried mushrooms, real fried onion ringsā€¦such treats were at The Station, just a stoneā€™s throw from the Claremont Hotel on the Oakland/Berzerkely border. Almost unaffordable to a college student, but soooooo worth it BITD.

3 Likes

Fried artichoke hearts! Da bomb.

2 Likes

Long gone. Menu puzzlingly ā€œpared downā€ in name of complexity:

https://thestationburgerberkeley.com/menu

1 Like

Real onion rings. But I will admit a fondness for shrimp toast.

2 Likes

But my real, true favorite is fried calamari.

3 Likes

True. It is tough to not like fried calamari.

4 Likes

Iā€™m a native Rhode Islander. Itā€™s our official state appetizer.

2 Likes

My sister was born there. Unfortunately I was two when we left (Navy brat). Iā€™d have been all over it otherwise.

1 Like

I do. I like it in theory, but itā€™s always rubbery and over-salted and over-battered. I like the Cantonese salt & pepper squid, though.

2 Likes