What do you get at Chinese take-out?

Did not you are so local to me…I live off of Astoria Blvd. and 94th street!
JH rocks for Asian and Indian. Flushing for Asian of all types of cusine.

If it’s a Cantonese restaurant, and for dinner
Hot & Sour or Wonton soup
Egg roll or spring roll
Pan-fried dumplings
Tai Dop Voy or Cantonese Chow Mein
Beef with Chinese greens or Butterfly shrimp o honey garlic ribs
Maybe the Singapore Noodles or other fried noodles

If it’s dim sum (I’m not dining inside yet):

Seafood dumplings with chives
Bbq pork bao
Pan-fried pork dumplings
Turnip cake
Lo Mai Gai- lotus leaf wrapped sticky rice
Sometimes beef balls, sometimes ribs in black bean sauce, sometimes ham su gok

Jin deui sesame ball

1 Like

We do Chinese take-out only from our two local authentic Sichuan restaurants, so we get Three-Pepper Chicken, West Lake Beef Chowder, Fish Filets in Chili and Hot Bean Sauce, Double Sauteed Pork, …

6 Likes

What’s Westlake beef chowder?
Combines 2 things I love.

Not all at once, but favorites include:

crispy shrimp rolls
crab-cheese puffs
green onion pancake
sui mai
har gow
Mongolian beef
lemongrass tofu
asparagus beef
special fried rice
chicken lettuce wraps
baby bok choy and shiitake mushrooms with soft tofu
hot and sour soup
won ton soup

We have basically one restaurant we order from. Their menu is pretty small, and they never have specials, so our selection is limited out here in the burbs.

4 Likes

I love seeing what other people order, and which dishes are available. Mongolian beef , Rangoon/ crab cheese puffs, asparagus beef, chicken in lettuce cups and a few other things you mention aren’t on the menu in my neck of the woods.

I get Rangoon when I visit Saskatoon :rofl: (and Boston- my last order was in Boston)

2 Likes

West Lake Soup- I haven’t tried it yet!

1 Like

Looks enticing and easy too.
Cool :sunglasses:

1 Like

I live in Marin County north of San Francisco. The restaurants here play it safe and offer what they know people will reliably order. If I lived in San Francisco, the Chinese food selections would be a lot more interesting and varied.
In fact, I started laughing when I was picking up food at Harmony in Mill Valley yesterday and saw a sign in their window thanking the locals for voting for them having the best dim sum in Marin County. The fact that they are basically the only place to get dim sum, is, of course, a coincidence!

4 Likes

That’s amazing that Harmony, with its relatively expensive sustainable dim sum, manages to also be pretty much the only place for dim sum in Marin!

Despite having dozens of places selling dim sum in Toronto and in the burbs North and East of the city, I think a restaurant owner would go broke trying to sell sustainable dim sum. We have some places with early bird pricing before 11 am, and the prices go up right at 11 am.

Harmony has a regular menu besides the dim sum one. I’ve only had their non dim sum items a couple of times. Those prices are even higher than for dim sum.
The restaurant we usually get takeout from is Tommy’s Wok in Sausalito. It’s not cheap either!

2 Likes

Something I find weird is the disappearance of Egg Foo Yung from “new” places trying to accommodate modern tastes. Chicken EFY is my go to (but I will dabble with others) & none of the downtown Portland places ( 4 of them). Fortunately the place close to us still does.

2 Likes

Egg Foo Young has become hard to find where I live, in Canada. It’s currently easier to find mainland Chinese food than old school Chinese Canadian / Chinese American food and Cantonese food.

Apart from XLB, green onion pancakes, dumplings and MaPoTofu, I haven’t figured out what I like at some of the restaurants with mainland menus. They aren’t Szechuan restaurants or Shanghainese restaurants, and the dishes listed on the English language menu at some of the restaurants have names that aren’t too descriptive, like spicy chicken, so there’s a lot of trial and error(for me, anyways)

1 Like

Almost always Mongolian Beef as well as garlic or dry stir fried green beans. My fam generally likes mushu as well. Everything else shifts, but these 3 are near constants.

3 Likes

I never thought I’d have an order, as I don’t get Chinese takeaways ( or takeaways all that often) . Or I didn’t till 2020. The Chinese places that deliver near me aren’t great. I have though learnt that if I’m hankering after Chinese food locally,then order what they are good at rather than my absolute favourite dishes on the menu. I have though stumbled on a standard order. Aubergine stuffed with prawn, chicken fried rice and pak choi with garlic.

4 Likes

Even a standing Chinese dine-in order works! I ahh

Nice selection.

1 Like

I’ll add that when we get take-out, we get enough for two or three meals, so it has to something that reheats well. Bok choy, for example, is a bad idea; black mushrooms, green beans, or eggplant work well. Fried dumplings can’t even survive the trip the first time, so we’ve stuck to steamed.

4 Likes

It’s funny- I don’t mind reheated or take-out fried dumplings, fried noodles, egg rolls, etc at all. It seems they bother a lot of people!

I so rarely have the chance to eat food from Chinese restaurants, and because of that - when I do, I stick with longtime favorites and don’t explore.

Hot and sour soup
Eggrolls
Pan-fried dumplings
Steamed dumplings
Moo shu pork (with extra pancakes)
Spicy dry-fried green beans
Singapore noodles with shrimp
Kung Pao chicken

4 Likes

I adore Sichuan cuisine. Luckily for us, that’s the specialty of the Chinese restaurant closest to home. A typical takeout order for a weekend evening starts with pan-fried pork dumplings, which are often called Peking ravioli around here.

Very hard for me to resist the spicy allure of la zi chicken, as our go-to restaurant calls it. I have learned this dish more commonly goes by the name laziji. The more dried hot peppers, the better.

We round out the meal with dry-fried green beans with ya cai and the restaurant’s unfailingly perfect steamed rice.

My husband took these photos and he was in a mood to place the dishes in a row. I do not know why. :laughing:

8 Likes