What do you get at Chinese take-out?

Always summer rolls and hot & sour soup. After that whatever appeals. Often pork fried rice, beef and broccoli, something with chicken, twice cooked pork, moo shu pork.

If I lived in Astoria I wouldn’t get Chinese either. Too many good Greek places.

Oh, yeah. There’s all kinds of good other places too - Turkish, Colombian, Egyptian, Brazilian, etc. When we want actual Chinese we go to Flushing or Jackson Heights.

1 Like

Louisiana.

Now thats funny.

1 Like

I knew that was coming. If NOLA had an open container law they’d have to cancel Madrid Gras.

3 Likes

Errrrr… darned auto-fill!!! “Mardi Gras”. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

And the gratuitous “s” bomb as well.

1 Like

The only chinese chicken salad I know of here in the Boston burbs used to be in the house-prepared foods case at a since-shuttered supermarket. I duplicated it from the ingredient list, which I recall as cooked chicken (torn into pieces after removing skin and bone), garlic, scallion, ginger, soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, and cashews. Is this what you mean?

That sounds similar, although more fancy with cashews! Well, and missing the fried noodle things.

Also just occurred to me that maybe it’s an odd california american Chinese restaurant dish, kind of like shrimp louie salads and fried artichoke hearts- they’re in ca and not really known elsewhere.

Shrimp Louis and fried carciofi are known in New England. I had the former at the New Hampshire Highway Hotel and the latter at The Romagnoli’s Table, in the Boston area. Both long gone now.

Yes, I believe you’re right. And it also must be something that developed within the last 30 years or so. I don’t remember ever seeing it in CA when I grew up there in the 60s and 70s. It’s more of a mall Chinese thing out here, as opposed to local takeout. NYC has its OWN inauthentic (excuse me, I mean, Regional Specialty ) Chinese American dishes, thank you very much! :smile:

2 Likes

Threads like this make me realize how divorced I am from big city life.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I still don’t understand the appeal of the ummm… “regional nyc specialty” of really thick skinned huge egg rolls…! :joy:

1 Like

I personally love those. The cabbage, bits of dyed red pork, a little hint of mustard, all slathered in plenty of duck sauce. I wouldn’t trade it for anything.

1 Like

You can have my share :)) honest i tried them only once, after being told they were vegetarian (umm…this veg doesn’t do pork…) and that was that. I do love the thin skin spring rolls that shatter, but those aren’t as accessible

Yessss! Man I miss the ones at ruby palace. @gcaggiano any pics of those?

Unfortunately, Ruby Palace pre-dates my food blogging. :frowning:

My go-to order is house special or shrimp lo mein, sesame chicken, and shrimp toast :yum:

2 Likes

Nostalgia for my childhood?

1 Like