What do you do with TOO MANY TORTILLAS?

At the end of the day, its information on the internet… so you have to take it with a grain of salt. For years, I have been feeding birds bread and bread products and I don’t see them dropping dead in my yard (or any place else).
And yes, I put out a variety of items for the wild birds to feed on… seed, suet and leftover bread.
I also put out my ham bones for the local turkey buzzard (who is HUGE). He/she carries them off and eats the marrow.

1 Like

“I also put out my ham bones for the local turkey buzzard (who is HUGE). He/she carries them off and eats the marrow.”

That would be considered a sacrilege by many here. So many good uses for a ham bone. Split pea soup, pinto beans etc. But to each his own.

2 Likes

I’m not that good a cook and I know Sunshine doesn’t like split pea soup.

I’m happy the turkey buzzard gets to enjoy it.

4 Likes

I made King Ranch Chicken Casserole for the first time tonight, with homemade white sauce, Ro-tel tomatoes, canned green chiles, cumin , chili powder, oregano and cheddar, and we liked it a lot!

6 Likes

I’ve made tortilla chips in the microwave. Did this recently. Corn or flour, it doesn’t matter. Spritz with a little cooking spray and season with what ever spice mix you like I have a lot of ancho powder that I made from dried chilies, as well as chipotle .

2 Likes

I agree to skip the rolling. New Mexico enchiladas are usually stacked. And in Mexico, tortillas are dipped in hot oil & chile sauce & then just folded & served immediately with maybe a sprinkle of queso fresco.

The other thing you can make is King Ranch Chicken. The first step is to line that Pyrex casserole dish with corn tortillas. Then you fill with the King Ranch Chicken mixture & top with more tortillas. You can get through a lot of tortillas. And, after you make your casserole, you can freeze it. So you don’t have to eat all those tortillas right away.

5 Likes

Chilaquiles

2 Likes

Ah, King Ranch casserole, crack in Pyrex.

3 Likes

Works like a dream, in this case. Chilaquiles, beans, rice with two eggs. My favorite breakfast. Plenty of onions baked into those chilaquiles. You deserve the best, dammit!

2 Likes

Yesterday I found myself with extra tortillas. Chicken broth flavored with New Mexico chile powder and cumin, a cubed leftover piece of chicken, a few tortillas cut into small strips and fried, cubed avocado, lime, and cilantro. Since this was impromptu I did not have any of the correct cheeses, but I cut some sliced Muenster into strips, and it worked well enough I’d do it again. Simple and delicious. Weird how the photo copied.

5 Likes

Circling back after having gone through one pack (yep, there were two).

Most successful treatment has been “frying” them in the microwave as whole-tortilla crisps to eat with guac (we could top them like tostadas too, but for our current purposes those would be harder to eat).

Faster than baking, same crisp outcome.

Stacked enchiladas are still on my list.

How do you do this? I usually brush with oil and bake or pan fry.

I throw them on the lawn .The ravens , stellar jays. or other animals will come alomg and eat thrm .

2 Likes

Microwave in short bursts, checking to make sure they don’t burn in spots. They essentially dehydrate. Same idea as what happens in the oven, just a lot faster. (Like the microwave potato chips discussed previously.)

So you do oil them? And what… microwave on an uncovered plate?

No oil, uncovered

Thanks… this works with corn, flour, or both?

Ages ago we tossed some Fruit Loops on the lawn. The deer and other animals would not eat them. They expanded in rain, contracted as they dried, and otherwise never changed. They retained their colors well. Out of perverse curiosity, we left them there for several months.

3 Likes

This thread was about corn tortillas, so that was about corn. That said, I do the same thing for chapatis, which are basically the same as flour tortillas.

1 Like

Finally read the recipe. This sounds awfully good, and we always have black beans on hand and vegetable broth in the freezer. I like the clearer, lighter kind, the broth seasoned with cumin and New Mexico chile, with the beans or chicken, the cubed avocado, and the tortilla strips tossed in, topped with fresh cilantro, queso fresco, and a squeeze of lime. I have, however, enjoyed all of the tortilla soup and Sopa de Azteca I have ever been served. Mexican cuisine has a marvelous variety of soups. Caldo de pollo or res, calabacitas, elote, poblano, and so on. The only one that often (not always) disappoints is fideo, but it wasn’t the comfort food of my childhood. BTW they are all enhanced by a sprinkling of fried tortilla strips, as are many salads.