What do you do with saffron?

Always use it with mussels & fennel etc.

5 Likes

That’s what I thought was in those bottles.

1 Like

Nice!

2 Likes

Saffron cream sauce for seared scallops.

3 Likes

Saffron added to Mashed potatoes is pretty darn tasty. Add to melted garlic butter and fold in.

5 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions & feedback.

Not trying to start a fight, but I’ve had paella and other dishes where I’ve had saffron and I’d be darned if I can tell you what saffron tastes like. It sure does lend a pretty orange-y color to some dishes though. I find that when I’ve had it, it is blended in with so many other herbs or flavors that it might have overpowered what aroma or taste saffron is supposed to have. So I don’t even think about adding saffron to anything – which is a good thing, because it would make a dent in my wallet otherwise.

1 Like

When I brew saffron tea the flavor comes through. Since a little goes a long way, and less IS just right, saffron doesn’t need to break the bank. I am familiar w/ 3 sources my fav being:

I think I had the same feeling when I was quite stingy in the past. At one point I decide to add them a bit more generously and used the trick of a seller, crush the pistils to have flavour coming out. Also, the quality of saffron is important too. I bought a bigger jar direct from the farmers, instead of the tiny portion of inferior quality from the supermarket spice section.

3 Likes

Lussekatter and Cornish saffron buns
Ottolenghi’s saffron and white wine poached pears

maybe a little to late to answer
In hispanic or asian stores, you can find dirt cheap but they are false saffron
I buy my saffron from Costco, select full thread style imported by Pacific Plaza Imports
Last year, when I run out, Costco did not carry it. Still had the empty container, so called Pacific Plaza Import , was pleasantly surprised to learn thru them to wait a few more weeks as Costco had just ordered and will be selling it for $89.00. Pacific Plaza was selling it for $110.00 .( Just check now, still same price
Today, am shopping and googling for spicy Portuguese sardines ( bulk), stumbled unto this site https://www.ebay.com/itm/Costco-Spanish-Saffron-14-Gram-Jar/274094460229?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160727114228%26meid%3D47d27da983e144358c195cbf40c03248%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D274094460229%26itm%3D274094460229%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2060778&_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507
SELLER CLAIMS SHE HAS NO USE FOR IT ( WAS SENT TO HER AS GIFT) AND IS SELLING IT FOR $40.00 OR BEST OFFER WITH FREE SHIPPING
I still have half a jar, googled, it retains flavor as long as it is kept in its original jar, etc.
The seller has 8 more jars.
I looked at my ja, t it loos exactly the same. premium imported full thread saffron
I sent her an email asked for expiration date
I may offer her less than $40.00 , maybe $35.00 0r $30.00
I only use it for paella and cataplana
So, there are 8 jars left, if anyone is interested
I am not sure how I can add another HO friend to read this. I think present use a lot.
Let me know.

1 Like

9 jars of saffron! That seller got quite a gift!

I got some in that Istanbul spice market a few months ago. I always end up “saving” it for something “special” until it’s probably not it’s best. I’m going to use it “willy nilly” this time!

Some of the saffron I bought at the Grand Bazaar wasn’t saffron. Lol. I tried using it, might have been red shredded paper? Hope yours is the real deal! :slight_smile:

Me too. I had studied up on how to tell and who to ask, but who knows? I have a brand new DIL from Turkey who was with us, and seems to know “what’s up”, but I ended up at the spice place just when she and son dashed off .

1 Like

Incidentally, I posted something about saffron but am not sure those who likes saffron will visit the site posted in September
I buy saffron from Costco, still have more than half of the 14 gms of whole thread saffron for 89.99
Googling for spicy sardines on Ebay , I stumbled on to a seller who claims it was a gift(? Unbelievable as she has 8 of the 14 gms container left from Costco. She is asking 49.99 or best offer if anyone is interested)
I asked for the expiration date which I found at the back of mine. Seller has not answered. yet. It is a good buy if legitimate.

https://mesg.ebay.com/mesgweb/ViewMessageDetail/1/119805333500

I asked her for expiation date which is written on the bottom of the jar
a jar last me quite a long time as I only use it for paella and for cataplana .
I donate use it for rice the way the Iranian does.

Trader Joe’s spanish saffron is priced decently ($5.99/0.7gm) and good quality.

Imho better to pay slightly more and have it be fresh. The giant bottles are hard to use up.

Used to be a 1gm jar but they kept the price flat and reduced quantity rather than the other way around.

Indian stores also carry 1gm and larger packages of saffron at decent prices - some are Kashmiri, some are Iranian or Spanish. Iranian is most expensive.

2 Likes

Paella or Arròs Bogavante Caldoso Alicantino …

Tagine fish, prawns or Lamb.

Risotto.

I buy Castilla La Mancha Ecological saffaron threads or Ecological Italian from The Emilia Romagna Region.

Sometimes, when we go to Morocco we go to the Bazaar (Zoco) and purchase some too, for Tagines at home.

1 Like

that is good price if it is full thread.
At any rate, the lady must have found out how much it cost at Costco which is $ 89.00. she ended the sell and post it now at $69.99 instead.