What Did You Drink Today (non-wine) #1? (2015-2020)

Manhattan for me, bourbon for DH.

5 Likes

Cocktail recipe FAIL last night. My wife made a B-52, layering Cointreau, coffee liqueur, and Amarula Vanilla Cream (we don’t have the Bailey’s the recipe calls for) from bottom to top. It looked great, taste wasn’t bad. Then she suggested we stir the drink. Well. The cream liqueur curdled and the whole thing took on a gray cast. Did we think about the acid in the Cointreau reacting with the Amarula? Nope. Apparently, you can use (or maybe should use) Grand Marnier rather than Cointreau. Next time.

Will try my luck tonight with a Trader Vic’s original, the Huapala. Shake 3/4 ounce Bacardi light rum (I’m going with Cruzan aged white rum instead), 3/4 oz. London dry gin, 1/2 ounce lemon juice, and a dash of grenadine over ice, then strain.

2 Likes

Too bad about the fail @StephanieL, but please let us know about tonight’s drink - sounds fascinating!

Nice and bracing, thanks to the gin and fresh lemon juice. Not a tiki drink at all.

Thanks @StephanieL - good to know. I’d never have thought rum and gin would work together…

Haven’t been mixing lately, just sticking with a little wine. I did pick up some Tanqueray yesterday, and had two classic Gin & Tonics late afternoon. Was a nice change and felt like a celebration of summer.

For tonight, I did a riff on an English Garden. Not wanting to open a bottle of Prosecco for a cocktail, I mixed a shot of Tanqueray, with about 2 ounces of Chardonnay, added some seltzer to it, along with some St Germain, and a squeeze of lime. Worked remarkably well, and again seemed special for the season.

3 Likes

It depends on the rum. A lighter white rum is your best bet–I wouldn’t use a deeper rum like a Demerara.

Good to know @StephanieL and thanks. Having a real English Garden this afternoon. :champagne::monkey::sunglasses:

Widow’s Kiss #2. Lairds, yellow chartreuse, Benedictine, angostura. garnish with cherries.

5 Likes

My real English Garden from yesterday. Had some yogurt on the go in the Instant Pot.

5 Likes

An El Presidente, from the Trader Vic’s book: 1 1/2 oz. Bacardi Gold, 1/2 oz. dry vermouth, 2 dashes orange curacao, 1 dash grenadine, shaken over ice and strained. Maybe it’s the rum I used, but it’s a little unbalanced.

2 Likes

A Dark & Stormy, but only a half cocktail–I only had a 2-oz airplane-size bottle of Gosling’s and needed to get 2 drinks out of that.

2 Likes

A rhubarb gin & tonic with a squeeze of lime. Light and refreshing.
Found this rhubarb gin a while back and just remembered to pull it from the cabinet again.

7 Likes

Very refreshing.

4 Likes

Yes, that McKenzie cider is nice.

In honor of National Rum Day yesterday, the Miguel Ligero, from the famous La Florida bar in Havana: 2 ounces Bacardi Gold, juice of 1/2 lemon, 1/2 teaspoon sugar (I used 1:1 simple syrup), 1/2 teaspoon curacao, dash of Angostura, shaken and strained. A little too much on the side of sour, thanks to all that lemon juice.

2 Likes

Old Fashioned: 2oz bourbon (I used the last of a bottle of Henry McKenna 10yr), a teaspoon of cane syrup, a few dashes of Angostura bitters and Bitter Truth aromatic bitters. Stir and strain into an old fashioned glass with ice, garnish with orange twist.

6 Likes

To observe National Whiskey Sour Day…

Is a very easy drinker.

4 Likes

THIS is my drink :sparkling_heart:
Down to the ice cube :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

CHILLED SPARKLING SAKE …

4 Likes

Found this little airplane portion on the check out counter when buying other Pandemic induced liquor & mixers. Brought it home. Shared with DW, served with one ice cube each. Okay as a “one, and done” drink.

I apologize for the out of focus photo. Our camera liked the background rather than the subject…

2 Likes