What Did You Drink Today (non-wine) #1? (2015-2020)

I have more whiskey, rum and brandy on hand to last years in isolation drinking daily

4 Likes

It is. And not all that complex on the palate. But for the price…

English Garden for virtual HH with NC friend. A newish cookbook I haven’t looked through yet & assorted classic rock n roll on the playlist. Life is very good for now, at least.

4 Likes

Jealous. Again.

Woke up this morning feeling I should cast off my sackcloth & ashes and go out into it. Wrote two checks to animal welfare groups we support. Guzzled down a mug of coffee, left the house intending to hit the post office, bank, liquor store and gas station before Pan Demic realized I was out and vulnerable.

Liquor store stop was to pick up a fifth of Sobieski, and bottle of Bloody Mary Mix. Mission accomplished. Home at 9:55 AM and sipping on the Bloody Mary at 10:10. I had to doctor up the Bold & Spicy Mix…

4 Likes

A Hot Rum Sling from my Trader Vic’s book: sugar, boiling water, lemon juice, Angostura bitters, and rum (recipe calls for Myer’s; I used 8-year-old Bacardi). I made it half as strong as the recipe called for, otherwise I would have had to retire to bed very early.

2 Likes

Sweet lime old fashioneds, using some just-started sweet lime shrubs instead of the muddling sugar and Costco bourbon, which is quite good even on its own.

3 Likes

Another shrub cocktail tonight - spiced rum, lemon shrub that’s still in early stages, ginger juice, and mint from the garden. Topped up with sparkling water. Need to get on that ginger shrub!

5 Likes

A sazerac -

Fill an old-fashioned glass with ice and water to chill.
In a mixing glass, add one dash Angostura bitters, 4 dashes Peychaud’s bitters, one teaspoon simple syrup, 2 oz rye, and ice. Stir until cold. Dump ice water from old-fashioned glass and rinse with Herbsaint (or absinthe if you have it). Strain contents of mixing glass into old fashioned glass. Twist lemon peel over glass and discard peel.

4 Likes

I use a small atomizer to spray in the Herbsaint (less waste than swirling and dumping the excess). Also, I need my Sazeracs to be red, not pinkish, so I use a ton of Peychauds, usually 10-12 shakes.

2 Likes

I will try that amount of Peychaud’s next time!

1 Like

Two low fills bit the dust yesterday. A private pick Four Roses and a Jamaican Worthy Park rum

2 Likes

Last night was dark and stormy - literally and in the glass.

I really dislike the Costco spiced rum - all I taste is cloves. I donated my drink to another.

4 Likes

A classic for good reason. Yum. No rye in the house, but I’m listening to ragtime and New Orleans jazz and thinking an allowance can be made for bourbon.

Earlier today I had a mimosa (OK, two). And then a long nap.

I’m counting this as a cocktail rather than “wine.”

4 Likes

Power of suggestion:

5 Likes

Started making an old fashioned with orange shrub and then diluted and modified with ginger syrup and ginger beer into something else - still tasty.

I need to get these folks some big cube trays for my kinda drinks.

2 Likes

@ChristinaM
Bloody Marys at 10 AM do the same to me… :yum:

2 Likes

Icy cold vodka martini. Haven’t had one in years but it was a long day and it sounded good. Hit the spot.

3 Likes

I was inspired by your cocktail and also had a martini with a bunch of olives today, only with gin. Cheers!

Chill a coupe or Nick and Nora or other glass. In a mixing glass combine a couple dashes of orange bitters, 0.5 oz dry vermouth, and 2.5 oz gin. Add ice, stir until cold and strain into glass. Garnish with olive(s) or a lemon twist. If using twist, twist peel over cocktail before dropping in.

3 Likes