What Did You Drink Today (non-wine) #1? (2015-2020)

A lot of private selection Four Roses today and night

1 Like

Applejack Old-Fashioned. Laird’s applejack, maple syrup, whiskey barrel aged bitters, orange twist. Delicious.

3 Likes

Liquid dessert. :smile_cat:

3 Likes

Rosé cava, splash of St. Germaine, fresh lime juice, and gin was Saturday night’s fare. those went down way too easy.

Sunday night out at a restaurant, had a Mission Statement: fermented whiskey (WTF??), grapefruit, lime, elderflower; and a '75: prosecco, punt e mes, white vermouth, lemon, ginger. Both good, liked the whiskey one better. but, dudes, what the hell is “fermented” whiskey? should have asked. (NB the FB giving the “fermented whiskey” the bird.)

last night was St. Germaine, gin, and a splish-splosh of Campari. i’m playing around.

1 Like

Fermented whiskey is mash but mash isn’t whiskey yet. WTF Is right

1 Like

Met an old friend today. Haven,t seen him for about 7 years and lost touch but found his contact details again, Old fashioned boozer. 2 pints of Camden pale ale. One pint of Old Ladies front Twickenham brewery and one pint of Junction from Sam Brooks brewery. Quite sedate for us.

I’m sipping a private pick Knob Creek barrel selection tonight. First taste since I sipped it in the rickhouse a few months ago. One of the best KCs I’ve ever had. It has a notable peanut thing going on on the palate. Kinda like a peanut crusted nougat bar. This first bottle will not last long

2 Likes

more playing with elderflower last night… Gin (cheapo stuft), St. Germain, extra fino sherry, and grapefruit bitters. better when i upped the gin and lightened up on the sweet SG. love the stuff but i don’t like sweet cocktails.

1 Like

Had a couple of Star cocktails today, while my man had a couple of Martinez’s.

http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/2006/02/21/star-cocktail/

Tues. night at Iyasare, bottle no. 656 out of 1,000 made . . .

I drank a buttload of Julius last night. No complaints, other than the “clearly taken while drunk” photo.

Harvest Moon - Rye, Lillet Blanc, Laird’s, Green Chartreuse, Angostura, garnish with an orange twist. Delicious.

Enjoying a private barrel selection of an Old Weller Antique along with a nice cigar

One of my all time favourites. Landlord from Timothy Taylor’s’

Nice little liquid dessert-iness for a gorgeous fall day.

1 Like

A couple of amarettos after dinner.

Breakfast of champs.

3 Likes

i was tasked with recreating a local restaurant’s drink - Copa Verde - for a little get-together at a friend’s house last night. fresh lime juice blended with cilantro, strained, a little simple syrup, then shaken over ice with mezcal and sprinkled with a little chipotle powder. It’s such a great drink - tart, spicy, smoky…

Came out really well, tho it doesn’t look too appetizing in this pic.

2 Likes

The ugly color is from blending the cilantro. Also the blender chops so fine you still get bits after straining.

When using berry fruits (raspberry, strawberry, etc.) and fresh herbs, etc. in a cocktail you should shouldn’t blend, or even muddle, just add and shake with the cocktail for a good 20 seconds. The fruit will be crushed and give off it’s flavor, with no ugly colors and you will be able to fine strain easily.

The only types of fruit I would muddle are things like apple, pear, and barely ripe plums and peaches (ripe ones just dice and shake) and things like cucumber. Blueberries I would only give a slight muddle, but with a hard shake you may not need to muddle. I never muddle mint or any other fresh herb in a shaken cocktail. In a built cocktail like a julep I would give a slight, gently muddle, just enough to express some oils, but not enough to tear leaves. Over muddled herbs, and especially mint, give off unattractive bitter flavors.

2 Likes

Making Manhattans

2 Likes