What cookbooks have you gotten / added to your wish list - 2023

Very good questions. My fellow diners are:

(1) DH, who grew up in a very Midwestern household with two parents who cooked for sustenance not for fun. His palate has expanded in our 20 (!) years together, and he learned that he loves some Thai dishes, but Indian scares him, I think.

(2) DS13, who in some ways is a typical teenage boy (burgers and nachos). He’s pretty good about trying new forms of ingredients he knows he likes - eg chicken or tomatoes - but has clear dislikes and forms opinions quickly on the basis of absolutely nothing. Did I mention that he’s a teenage boy?

Neither of them have had any exposure to Indian food beyond the few (very few) dishes I have tried to make. And I don’t know the cuisine well enough to help them navigate. In the past, I’ve gone to buffets and tried all the dishes that looked interesting… unfortunately I can’t do that anymore.

3 Likes

I think tikka kabob and sheek kabob might be gateway dishes.

In Canada, butter chicken is the gateway dish. Butter chicken lasagna and butter chicken poutine have become things. You’ll now see butter chicken at many mainstream mid range chain restaurants, next to the shepherds pie, club sandwiches and fish and chips.

6 Likes

Samosas, too.

5 Likes

Definitely. Our Whole Foods, back before the Amazonization, always had them fresh in the store. My indulgence of choice!

1 Like

IMO they are all gateway dishes. Pakkoras, rogan josh, baingan bharta, lamb shahi korma, mango pudding…ultimate comfort foods.

3 Likes

Lamb and eggplant freak out most plain-eating Canadians. Chicken tends to be the gateway protein up here.

Mutter paneer, aloo gobi and palak /sag paneer are probably the most popular veg dishes for non-South Asians here.

I’ve never seen Mango Pudding at an Indian restaurant in Canada!

Lots of kheer and Gulab Jamun, sometimes carrot halwa.

@Truman If your husband enjoys some Thai dishes, I think you’re a long way along from the Midwest palate already! (And if Mexican flavors are acceptable, simple Indian food is not that far.)

Your description of your son reminds me of my younger nephew. (He won’t eat tomato sauce over pasta, but will eat almost exactly the same sauce with paneer, go figure.)

If I was going to venture down this path, I’d eschew most restaurant copycat food in favor of simpler home flavors.

I’d suggest starting with dal / lentils, roasted meat and veg with an indian flavor tweak, kheema / ground meat, and a light coconut curry that’s reminiscent of Thai.

I roast cauliflower with spices quite often (ground cumin, or garam masala, chaat masala, garlic and onion powders). Ditto squashes and root veg like carrots and parsnips — I love them tossed with cumin and garlic, or garam masala, roasted till slightly charred. Leftovers lend themselves well to purée soups (finish with a bit of milk or cream or coconut milk if you like, to soften the spice).

The same can be done with chicken or meat or fish — a light spice rub, a bit of ginger and/or garlic, yogurt if you want to make milder (or tenderize), then cook as you normally would.

Kheema is a close cousin of any other meat sauce: serve it as a rice bowl, as sloppy joes, over pasta, or as the base to shepherds pie. Simplify the spice profile if need be (swap whole spices for ground garam masala for eg). You can also add the same aromatics and/or spices to any meatball recipe and end up with basic but delicious home-style kababs / burgers.

Dal is an easy base — one of those dishes that are indian without always being presented as such (this Ottolenghi soup I have served as both dal and sambhar to indian folks, and eaten as soup with croutons or toast on my own, but even a simple moong or masoor dal is an easy start — with rice, or naan to dip).

On to Thai-adjacent: Kerala stew swaps lemongrass for whole spices and is stupid-easy (we love it vegetarian too).

I have recommended and gifted Madhur Jaffrey’s Quick and Easy Indian often — her recipes are home-style but adapted to a western kitchen and eating style.

And for a shortcut, while I don’t like most ready sauces, Maya Kaimal has a “fresh” (refrigerated) range at Whole Foods and Costco that doesn’t have that bottle / preservative aftertaste — includes a coconut curry base iirc.

7 Likes

I like the looks of that Kerala stew. For vegetarian, just substitute any veg for the chicken?

Yes, use any mix of veg that you would like in a light coconut curry — we use a mix of cauliflower, butternut or other squash, potato, and green beans.

Eat with rice, appam / dosa (available frozen if there’s an indian store somewhere nearby), or rice vermicelli / noodles (idiyappam sub).

3 Likes

Here’s another Keralan veg curry, for inspiration re: which veg https://www.foodandwine.com/kerala-style-vegetable-coconut-curry-6833317

1 Like

@truman @tcamp

I just looked at the linked Kerala Stew recipe again, and one difference in our home version is that we don’t use any garlic, only grated ginger (about 1.5” or so), which is a “cleaner” flavor profile than using both — if that makes any sense.

1 Like

Thank you so much, lots of food for thought (pun intended) here!

I have seen Maya’s sauces and some dishes at Wegmans but they aren’t marked gluten free, unfortunately.

The two keralan recipes are so wildly different! If the F&W one Americanized? Such a hodgepodge of ingredients.

1 Like

Yeah, something in F&W is quite likely to be westernized. (For eg chickpeas randomly added to bulk up a dish that doesn’t have chickpeas.) It’s probably a tasty “curry” from the ingredients, just different than the dish I suggested.

2 Likes

Weird, made me look, and the ingredient list has tapioca and/or rice starch but nothing suggesting wheat. This is the coconut curry ingredient list.

(But also, I can’t see the fresh sauces anymore at WF or Costco so maybe she discontinued those.)

I’m no expert, but I assume things might not be marked gluten-free if there’s likely a possibility of cross-contamination from manufacturing conditions (i.e. other products on the same line).

1 Like

Yes. No good for someone with a deathly allergy.

2 Likes

That’s exactly right, it’s that there is a risk of cross-contamination from the manufacturing process. Sometimes products are labeled “no gluten-containing ingredients” but that’s not the same. And everyone with celiac disease / gluten intolerance / other food allergies makes their own decision about what they’re comfortable with!

(I feel like this discussion is waaaaaay off topic for the cookbook thread, so I’m happy to stop here and get back to cookbooks. I appreciate everyone’s patience with this digression.)

1 Like

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: What cookbooks have you gotten / added to your wish list - 2024