What cookbooks have you gotten / added to your wish list - 2022

Thank you! Will check it out!

not a a cookbook per se, but looks fascinating — just requested from library.

serendipity : a history of accidental culinary discoveries.

1 Like

Great rec! Thanks. Rec’d it yesterday.
A really lovely book with illustrations rather than glossy pics and her personal intros to the recipes. Haven’t yet but the visitandines will be my first try - odd that they were not in the index?

1 Like

I think it’s because the French names are not indexed, only the English.

1 Like

To cookbooks that I had preordered have arrived. One is “Eat Plants, B*TCH” by Pinky Cole, founder of The Slutty Vegan restaurants, food trucks, and food company. The other is “Vegan Africa” by Marie Kacouchia, a Parisian woman of African heritage. Haven’t had time to dive in to either yet, but from a cursory browse, the African book is appealing to me the most.

4 Likes

And speaking of cookbooks, our Cookbook of the Month nominations are going on through the 19th. If you’re interested in cooking along, come on over and join the nomination process.

1 Like

Inspired by the HO thread on " Restaurants you dearly miss?" (LA) Veal Oscar! (Scandia), Chasen’s Chili! From 1971.

2 Likes

At a second-hand store today I found a copy of ATK’s Bread Illustrated. On the recco of a friend it came home with me. It looks like it includes a lot of fun bakes. Anyone have any favorites from this book?

I signed up last year (seem to think it was a Black Friday or holiday deal of $20 for the year?) and I think I’ve found maybe 10-20 recipes that I’ll keep, but won’t renew at full price. I think it depends on your tastes/palate, and I find their recipes skew towards main ingredients or cuisines we don’t all like.

FYI - EYB has an Amazon link for buy three for the price of 2 cookbooks. Says to type COOKBOOKS to get list. This will be a short list. If you leave off the S (cookbook) you will get more books. The irritating thing about this is you never see all the applicable books. It keeps showing same books, throwing in a new one here and there. If there are books you are interested in, look them up. You may never see them on the list.

2 Likes

Deb at Smitten Kitchen just came out with her 3rd cookbook: Smitten Kitchen Keepers. I was surprised to not have a long wait for the ebook from my library.

I’ve browsed through it and there really are a lot of enticing recipes. Great photos! She posted one on her blog and I made it, certain I would love it; I didn’t. It was roasted garlic, butter, fresh spinach, angel hair pasta (I used thin spaghetti). I prefer pasta with Hazan’s pesto sauce.

Again, many recipes in the book look great! I really love her “voice”

1 Like

Gateau is on its way

2 Likes

I recently received the new Smitten Kitchen Keepers cookbook. It is meh. If I had borrowed it from the library first I probably wouldn’t have bought it. I’ve also gotten Christina Tosi’s All About Cookies. Haven’t made anything from it yet but a lot of stuff looks good. I thought I pre-ordered Ina Garten’s newest book but apparently not. I’ll have to fix that.

I’m an avowed Italophile and Katie Parla has a book devoted to the islands of Italy coming in March (even the wee little islands). Interestingly, she has decided to self-publish, and you can preorder through her website. I have her other two books but honestly because I have so many Italian cookbooks I have not cooked straight from either yet, but they are gorgeous books. I get them for the research for travel as much as anything.

4 Likes

I was planning to buy Masa by Jorge Gaviria and Drinking Lightly, but both sold out at the bookstore I was going to buy from while they sat in my cart. Now I’ve just dropped a chunk of money on an animal hospital bill, so both of these will go back to my wish list for now.
I did buy a shopworn copy of Bagels, Schmears, and a Nice Piece of Fish from said bookstore. I haven’t received it yet, but an interview with the author on KCRW’s Good Food podcast convinced that I could and must learn to make excellent bagels at home.

Are you going to use lye?

No, her methods do not require it. Can’t say I haven’t considered entering that world too, though – maybe next summer.
I just noticed that Cathy Barrow is also the author of Pie Squared, which I have as an ebook. I’ve enjoyed looking through it but have never baked from it.

I would be too afraid to have lye around.

We happen to have an extremely secured and organized chemical shed for other reasons, so it’s not outside of the realm of possibility

After looking through her first two books (from the library) I didn’t have an urge to buy the books, decided the blog was good enough for me. A friend knew I liked the blog so surprised me with the second book one Christmas. It sits on the shelf.

Honestly, I found so many in Keepers that I’d like to try.

1 Like