What are your culinary aspirations & goals for 2024?

I’m female. If I’m getting an unwelcoming look or glance, that I consider sketchy or icky, or where when other customers make me feel unwelcome, I go elsewhere. Doesn’t happen that often.

I’m not talking about avoiding places where the owners are less than attractive, wear an eye patch or have a hunchback, etc.

2 Likes

I watch for overall level of clean. That includes the owner’s and servers’ attention to personal hygiene. And the restrooms, which may be single/unisex used by all customers and staff - those MUST be clean if food-safety is to be delivered.

2 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t see the connection between “sketchy and icky” and unwelcome.

IMO, homogenized, sanitized, identical, low interaction, corporate-dictated places are powerful arguments to favor trying Mom & Pops, even if there’s some sketch and ick. The food better be good, though.

1 Like

I love trying hole -in -the-walls. That’s not what I meant by sketchy.

I tend to try a lot of food made by places with little hype. I love trying new things. That was part of what drew me to the old Blue and White Chowhound. I was seeking out tamales for my 30th bday party. 20 years later, there are a lot more places to buy tamales in Toronto.

1 Like

There’s quite a range between those two ‘extremes,’ as I’m sure you are aware.

Of course, and you recognize that it’s a continuum. Frequently there’s some sketch and ick. This is not uncommon even in inner city chain fast food places.

Coming up on a year ago, I did a very positive review of this place: Soundview "Bar & Grill", Everett, WA

It’s a prime example of the value of not prejudging the “cover”, but I admit some trepidation about entering. Totally welcoming, comfortable, and excellent tavern food. Frankly, that’s been a near-constant in my experiece with “biker” bars.

Wahine and I have a routine where we’ll go in anywhere and everywhere. If the vibe isn’t right, we’re ready to pirouette right back out, but almost never is it from the sketch or ick quotient.

I have a favorite beer place that taps rare-around-here-barrels of Goldilocks pilseners… An inside joke about the place is that the mens’ room is some rare mix of filthy, acrid and graffitied (the ladies’ room is kept immaculate and with fresh flowers). I have a buddy who refuses to go back, because he doesn’t appreciate the joke. His loss.

1 Like

Reign in my cooking impulse more when I encounter a dish or food I like. I do have the equivalent of culinary ADHD, and my refrigerator and freezer suffers for it.

2 Likes

I go through phases. Nothing wrong with that, imo.

My fridge is very often at 95% capacity. Even at the best of times, it’s 60% filled. The Freezer is worse because of the meat share I have and occasional trips to Costco. I go through spurts and make sure I can work that down reasonably, but it’s still full.

3 Likes

A few hives last night, probably something in the pork tourtière. I survived. Lol

Fell off my no chain bandwagon. First Starbucks drive thru of the year, a tall nonfat dirty chai, $6.72 Cdn. Jan 12 at 11 am. LOL

I just had a (warranty) service call on my fridge, because it was flashing an error code. My own thermometers said the fridge and freezer were holding temp OK, but the service person said - they’re both so full that the air isn’t circulating properly and the thermistors can’t get a good reading so they’re saying, we don’t know what the temp is. So I took some things out/used up some stuff without restocking - no more error messages. Warning now heeded.

3 Likes

I wondered about that. My 2 thermometers suggest my fridge is slightly warmer than 4 ⁰ C, but everything feels cold and nothing has been going bad. My fridge has been very full for a month.

1 Like
  • grow the YT channel (which invariably includes learning more about the food world)
  • give a food tour in Tokyo
  • try new types of cheeses in concert with any variety of egg dishes/sandwiches/apples
  • go hammer and tongs and learn to read Hindi, i.e. to better understand menus in that language
4 Likes

I fell off the wagon.

Burger King breakfast sandwich on Jan 27th, McD’s on Jan 29th :rofl:

2 Likes

Which wagon was that? Ya got 11 more months to catch it :wink:

I’ve been slacking a lil on that whole AT LEAST one new recipe a week. Gotta get better about that, but it’s been tough since we’d been dealing with so many leftovers!

2 Likes

The avoid multinational chain fast food wagon

2 Likes

That’s why wagons were invented…

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

My goals were “more protein, less sugar.”

I guess I’m doing ok on these. For the protein goal, I have:

• resumed my practice of lunch-prepping for the week by grilling a pile of heavily-seasoned chicken thighs, which make a perfect cold lunch.

• resumed breakfasting on Good Culture cottage cheese, the only brand I enjoy. It’s frequently out of stock, unfortunately. But I definitely find if my first meal is protein-rich, the rest of my day, nutritionally, is on much better footing.

As far as the less sugar goal… definitely consuming less of it than I do between Thanksgiving and New Year’s, during which I basically have whatever I want. But the cravings are still pretty killer.

4 Likes

Schizophrenic order of the year.

And we’re only in January.

2 Likes