What are your 3 favorite cakes to make?

With quark?

I, too, could eat an entire Käsekuchen by myself.

1 Like

Baker’s cheese.. Very similar to quark but slightly drier, I think.

So many cakes I’d like to bake right now, but it is too dang hot!
When it is cooler weather I’ll even bake a cake to warm up the house. These three top my list:

• Opera Cake —every crumb is worth the time put in
• ‘Judy’s Crazy Cake’ —similar to a chocolate Texas sheet cake
• White Chocolate Pound Cake, done in a bundt pan

I really enjoy cooking, baking and puttering around in the kitchen. This makes up for the lack of having an Easy Bake Oven as a youngster.

1 Like

Streuselkuchen with whatever fruit is in season (Berries, Apples and Plums are favorites)
The Chocolate Cake on the back of the Hershey’s Cocoa Can (Made with Valrhona Cocoa)
Almond Tea Cake

1 Like

What rec do you use for Opera Cake?

1. Chocolate fig torte, from a recipe I got from the magazine “Chocolatier”. Dried figs diced and simmered in Cognac, chocolate, ground hazelnuts, and the usual eggs and sugar. Glazed with a mixture of chocolate, gianduja, and whipping cream. I had posted the recipe in CH, and it was well-liked by the couple of people who made it. This is my very favorite cake.

2. Chocolate chestnut cake, my wife’s favorite. Another “Chocolatier” recipe. Génoise and chocolate chestnut buttercream.

3. RLB’s Golden Grand Marnier cake, from “The Cake Bible”.

I have pictures of all three, if anyone is interested.

4 Likes

I love making opera cake, but given that I don’t make it regularly I felt weird listing it here. It’s really pretty straightforward!

Poundcake. Easy, relatively foolproof.

Single-serving chocolate cakes baked in coffee mugs. Serve w/ little scoops of vanilla icecream and homemade magic shell. The missus asked for them for valentine’s. Quick, easy, and doesn’t leave me with the entire rest of a full cake to eat by myself in the dark… ahem

I’m about to try this almond cake:

It’s hitting ALL my “I want a slice of this every morning with tea for breakfast” buttons.

1 Like

I don’t make this often but I aspire to

Not necessarily this recipe

well, now I have to try that pound cake. That seems like a LOT though. I wonder if my KitchenAid Artisan is big enough for all that batter whipped up big?

1 Like

That’s what I use. I think mine is the Artisan.

Husband likes it with “icing”

4 Likes

This is why you make ice cream cake!

1 Like

Boston Cream Pie
Gingerbread (with whipped cream on top, not a cookie)
Pineapple Upside Down

2 Likes

I don’t make cakes anymore, but when I did and we had chickens I made lots of angle food cakes as it was Mr. BR’s favorite. Other favorites to make were carrot cake and cheesecake.

that pound cake looks fab.

I am slowly stealing all my mother’s baking/kitchen equipment, as she is now (alas) too far gone to ever use it herself again. I went so far as to make frozen cookies, pre-portioned and ready to bake, so her care giver can make them for her and to use up the FIVE BAGS of chocolate chips and (no kidding) 12 lbs of butter in the chest freezer.

She has a bundt pan. I may make this for her next time I go in and then steal the pan back with me.

I’ll just pack it in next to my brother’s disassembled CROSSBOW. heh.

7 Likes

If you ever need to buy any new pans, I’m fond of the USA pans. I’ve been making Woks of Life Milk Bread lately (easy) … you grease the loaf pans with butter and everything slides out easily.

3 Likes

I like this bread toasted or grilled ham and cheese.

6 Likes

Scandanavian “Brita” cake

This link was the first version of this I ever made, but there are quite a few around, including this one on Smitten. I love everything about it, and it’s my ongoing sorrow that I may never experience this cake at a midsommar party in the Finnish woods somewhere. A true bucket list item for me :slight_smile:

Rose Levy Beranbaum’s Triple Lemon Velvet bundt

I’ve talked about this recipe so many times I’m sure everyone is tired of it. A perfect cake for my tastes; very very lemony, beautiful crumb, keeps a long time, immaculate directions. I use lemon oil (Boyajian) in addition to some of the lemon in the recipe.

Kentucky Butter Cake

I first discovered the recipe in a Facebook group for collectors of vintage cast iron bundt pans, where it had cult status. This was the cake that many of us made whenever we acquired a new-to-us vintage pan, the “maiden voyage” cake. The file with the recipe was saved to the group files and I printed it out a hundred times and baked it. Later I found this version on The Spruce, and while it’s been a long time since I compared the two versions, this is the one I bake now.

3 Likes

Oh, man…

ooo. that reminds me. I should make another loaf that!

I use the King Arthur recipe, but I’ll look at yours and see what’s different. One tip I got in another thread here: Knead the hell out of it. 15 minutes total in a stand mixer would not be out of line. It should EASILY pass the windowpane test. Doing so gave me a super soft, feathery crumb that’s just awesome, and yes, makes fabulous grilled cheese sandwiches.