What are you craving? March 2022

What are you craving?

I’m craving War Fries AKA Patatje Oorlog . I’m hopefully going to get a fix at Borrel or Little Sister in Toronto some time soon.

5 Likes

Oorlog are top eats.

I’m currently craving a salad starter followed by a very large steak. I don’t often eat steak but these two courses are always my order on the first night of a holiday in Spain. Please be soon.

4 Likes

I’m craving Ina Garten’s Lamb and Chickpea Curry. It’s on my weekend meal plan.

3 Likes

Glutinous rice with egg, Chinese sausage and pork belly, from Phoenix Palace in Marylebone, London. An absolutely wonderful over the top restaurant. Their dim sum is pretty average but this dish is absolutely delicious. Everyone who tried it when we went still raves about it.

3 Likes

I should start a wishlist for a future trip to London thread. :slightly_smiling_face:
That sounds delicious.
I usually get the nor mai gai / lo mai gai when I order dim sum for a group, but in Canada at least, restaurants are having trouble getting the lotus leaf lately.

I’m always craving brandade. I keep hoping to find a packaged version in cans or jars. The only restaurant in town that had it has started making croquettas from the cod mixture, but it’s not the same. And it’s become difficult to find salt cod around here, to make my own.

3 Likes

I eat mostly out of necessity so cravings are rare.

Well, actually I’ve been craving Shakira for a few years but it’s gone unsatisfied. :tired_face:

1 Like

I followed my craving and made brandade, from fresh (not salt) cod. The fish stall at the farmer’s market had fresh local cod for just $8.00/lb. Most recipes said to use a 50/50 ratio of potato and fish, so that’s what I did, around 300g of each. I boiled the potatoes for 30 minutes and set them aside. I poached chunks of the cod in around 1/3 cup EVOO with garlic and shallot, then pulsed the mix with the immersion blender for a few seconds. Added the potatoes, mashed and mixed, lots of salt and black pepper, served on toasted slices of home made bread. Very satisfying!

3 Likes

Craving Alaskan King Crab, it’s been a few weeks since I had any. It’s a fairly typical craving for me, and I try to indulge it as often as possible. Other than that, oddly, it’s a donut or some kind of fried dough, maybe Navajo fry bread with butter and honey. Yum. Wine too, will be having a glass or two tonight.