What are you baking? September 2022

SO MANY THINGS.

This looks great, and this, and of course ice cream!

1 Like

Anything like this? This looks very tempting.

1 Like

That Far Breton looks amazing. I’m convinced - I put some (pitted) in my cart.

1 Like

That looks good but it is different, I have this vague recollection of making a Delia Smith cake recipe as well. I gave a quick google but I haven’t found the one I originally mentioned. I look again tomorrow.

1 Like

I’m likely to start with that one as well, @MunchkinRedux !

Absolutely… I keep an extra container of Hershey’s cocoa powder in the freezer, so I never run out.
I also keep plenty of sugar, powdered sugar and sweetened condensed milk in stock so I can make something chocolate whenever a “chocolate emergency” strikes.
Her favorite is my homemade chocolate peanut butter roll candy. They are very similar to reece’s peanut butter cups and we couldn’t have made it through the pandemic/lockdown without that candy.

3 Likes

After reading several entries here, decided to try Dorie’s Everything Cake. Just added fresh peaches on top and some Turbinado sugar sprinkled over. It looked pretty, tasted okay, but not really a fan of the texture and thought it was a little bland. Maybe another addition would jazz it up more.

Add images here

11 Likes

I stumbled across an Apple Bread recipe on youtube (Preppy Kitchen channel) and decided to make it last night. It was OK. My girlfriend put some melted butter on her slice and thought it would go nice with her morning coffee.

5 Likes

Blueberry lime chiffon cake with cream cheese frosting. Absolutely delicious! The blueberries sinking was 100% expected in a batter as light as chiffon. I contemplated adding them about 5-10 minutes into the baking time, but the prospect of mucking around with the batter for a chiffon made me a bit nervous.

17 Likes

You had me at “cream cheese frosting”, that looks scrumptious.

1 Like

Thank you!

Dorie Greenspan’s hidden berry cheese torte. This is one of the first things I ever baked after I started taking an interest in baking. It’s been at least 15 years I think since I made this. One taste and I remembered why I loved it so much.
However, I will say it’s not without some issues. The crust slumps A LOT in the pan. After the initial blind bake I was horrified to see the state of the crust despite an overnight rest after I pressed it in. Puddles of butter, and the crust almost completely slid down. I took a spoon and patted the still soft crust against the sides and got it looking brand new. I blotted the excess butter. Being more experienced now I think the butter could be cut down with no ill effect, and in fact it would help with issues I had. I baked the crust a lot longer than Dorie called for to ensure it wouldn’t be soggy. The sides are lovely and crisp, but the bottom sadly remained pale. This isn’t the worst thing though since at least it got a long bake time so it doesn’t taste raw and the softer crust I think is nice and cake-like once this gets cold, where sometimes crusts are almost too crisp once refrigerated.
Looking at the photo in the book, the crust doesn’t look all that brown on the bottom either. I could have gone for making the sides thicker than I did, though. I have made notes in the book of all of this. Back then I didn’t write notes, but I actually did have one here, which was to only use 1/2 cup sugar in the filling, and all these years later that assessment is still correct as to my taste that amount of sugar is perfect.:laughing:

12 Likes

Making my first lemon meringue pie.

5 Likes

Blondies from Jessie Sheehan’s Snackable Bakes. I brought these to our block party so omitted pecans and doubled the dark, milk, and white chocolate chips. Maldon sea salt on top. Huge hit!

11 Likes

In an attempt to head off the next “Chocolate Emergency”, I started scouring the internet for some type of treat where I could use sweetened condensed milk and cocoa powder. I stumbled across something called “in-betweens”. The recipe looked good, so I gave it a try. While making these, the recipe said to use your food processor, which I did, but had my doubts (while I was pulsing the food processor). That was the wrong move, I should have used a pastry cutter to blend the butter and flour. The taste was good, but the presentation was somewhat sad. My girlfriend tried them and LOVED them, so I’ll make them again, minus the food processor.

5 Likes

As you like condensed milk and chocolate together, I recommend that you make these bars (assuming that you like coconut).

1 Like

Surprised you didn’t make brigadeiros. I feel like they’re the top hit when you search for those two ingredients.

Stella Parks turned her homemade condensed milk and cocoa powder into mousse. Regular condensed milk can be used. Note I haven’t tried it, but her recipes are reliable, even if I sometimes don’t care for how they turn out.

And also frosting:

2 Likes

Here’s a recipe for brigadeiro.

2 Likes

@maccrogenoff and @Shellybean … Thank you, yes good suggestions. My goal was a fudge or a chocolate square where my girlfriend could go to the freezer or fridge, grab a piece and munch away, while I worked on other projects in the house. Moreover, I was being lazy & didn’t want to go to the store – just use what I had in stock. These “in-betweens” squares used oatmeal as a binder. I was supposed to mix in the oatmeal with the food processor at the end, but my older beast of a food processor turned the oatmeal into dust.
*** Side note *** Those Caramel & Chocolate bars look really good. I’ll add coconut and corn syrup to my shopping list for next week!!

1 Like

FYI, I usually use Lyle’s Golden Syrup in place of light corn syrup.

Golden syrup has so much more flavor.

1 Like