What are you baking? September 2022

The recipe seems adapted from King Arthur’s. Their AP flour is bread flour as far as I’m concerned, with how strong it is and a protein content close to 12%. You can use other AP flours, but they will have lower absorption and gluten development.

The original KA recipe calls for 1 tbsp of yeast, too, and curiously provide no weight for that measurement, but it’s about 10 g of yeast. For those rolls I’d do no more than 7 g of yeast, and honestly for a hot kitchen 5-6 is sufficient. You can always reduce yeast because temperature means that a lot of yeast will work very fast. So it can work fine for others who might be in a cooler kitchen, whose ingredients were cooler, whose dough heated up less during mixing, and not as well for someone in hotter conditions. And also in general it’s good to use enough yeast to get the job done and not much more.

You can watch Helen Rennie make basically the same recipe (also adapted from KA) here:

Notice that Helen kneads for far longer than the I Am Baker recipe calls for and you can see how strong the dough is when she pulls it up.
She also calls for 7 grams of yeast (which is not a tablespoon).

3 Likes

I love Helen Rennie! I took her pie-making class YEARS ago - just checked and it was 2009!

3 Likes

We had a baby shower at work today ( the first for our team… we are not a fertile bunch!) I made this cake https://sallysbakingaddiction.com/peach-bundt-cake-with-brown-butter-icing/ which I also made last summer… the icing is :star_struck:. Pretty much all gone by the end of day, even with not many people in the office.

11 Likes

I love that cake! How did you make the icing? Mine is always a clumpy disaster

2 Likes

Ha: I cheated and that was last year’s picture! This year’s was less photogenic…

2 Likes

More blueberry sourdough toaster tarts. The last ones vanished.

4 Likes

That icing is a keeper.

5 Likes

@mig and @rstuart - my icing is not pourable - I do halve the recipe but I don’t see how that would affect it. Do you transfer the brown butter to a different container when you make it? See how mine is almost solid? I had to maneuver it onto the cake…

Remedial baking!

My friend whose parents I baked the grapefruit white chocolate cake for is seeing them again in a couple of days, so I’m sending my tried and true Orange olive oil cake to make up for the last disaster :joy:

So far so good - tester cupcake is fabulously orange-y, and the loaf looks right. :crossed_fingers:t3: It stays that way!

Might bang out a batch of brownies too.

Early baking because I’m away tomorrow and she’s leaving midday Thursday. Plus the olive oil cake gets better after the second day, so that’s perfect timing actually.

13 Likes

I made the full recipe, and added a bit more milk if needed to make it thinner? I just added the other icing ingredients to the pan where I browned the butter…

1 Like

I was informed this afternoon by my girlfriend that she was having a “Chocolate Emergency” and there were no more brownies left. So I threw together a quick chocolate cake. It is my tried and true Martha Stewart recipe. I whipped up a quick chocolate glaze and this emergency was narrowly avoided. I was able to snap a quick pic before she cut into it.

14 Likes

Pear, pistachio/almond frangipane with roasted pistachio oil. Pears from the FM were lightly poached prior to baking. Ten minutes into the bake, crushed amaretti and flaked almonds were sprinkled over the top…a nice crunchy counterpoint to the cake. Blackberries and pears are a lovely combination.

Whipped ricotta sweetened with cooked down pear poaching liquid topped the berries.

13 Likes

I went to the store this morning for milk and a few other staples. I was walking through the bakery area and saw this beautiful foccaccia bread, but they wanted way too much $$$ for it. So I made my own this afternoon (still need to tweak my recipe a bit, though). My girlfriend and I had a nice afternoon snack of hot foccaccia bread (fresh out of the oven) and softened butter. YUMMY!! I’ll munch on this over the next day or so, if it lasts that long. I love bread!!

9 Likes

Randomly bought a jar of St Dalfour “giant French prunes” and HOLY COW are they delicious!! I have often marveled at the dedication to baking and cooking with prunes in French cuisine, and while I have long enjoyed the prunes I buy here, these were a totally different ball of wax. It’s a pity they’re not pitted otherwise I’d be baking with them instantly.

3 Likes

Chocolate emergencies are legit, and you are a good boyfriend for resolving!

3 Likes

MiG, if they are firm enough, and I assume they are, a slit down the side will generally release the pit without too much damage. I make prunes in Armagnac, remove the pit and one of the things I like to use them for is THE plum torte.

2 Likes

What would you bake with them? I’m intrigued.

No I mean, of course I could pit them. I’m just saying I’m far more likely to eat them :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah…yes…big temptation!

1 Like

I’ve made a walnut cake with prunes several times from , I think, The Walnut Cookbook.

2 Likes