What are you baking? September 2022

Keep the brigadeiros is mind next time you want something like that, then. They are a sort of fudge and only require cocoa, condensed milk, butter and salt. Sprinkles are usually called for, but you could go without.

https://www.thekitchn.com/brigadeiro-recipe-23281035

This version is interesting in that it calls for chocolate, too. It seems like it would be very sweet for my liking, so I’d use something other than semisweet chocolate.

2 Likes

A friend of Mom’s had a birthday today and lemon meringue is her favorite pie, so I was asked to crank one out. I never had before, so I was delighted to learn.

I really wanted to pile on the meringue and toast it with my new kitchen torch, but I was worried about logistics. I made the pie here and Mom drove it the short ride to her friend’s, but I had no idea if the meringue would survive, or if it would slide/slosh around during the car ride over, etc. The recipe said to put the meringue on JUST before serving.

So, I made the crust and lemon part, chilling it overnight. Just before delivery, I made the meringue, and Mom took the pie and meringue separately to assemble before the birthday girl.

She was kind enough to bring me a slice home to try. Yes, I would’ve liked much swoopier, toasted meringue, but for a first try, I liked it. All the elements were very good; there was just not enough meringue to tamp down the extremely tart lemon curd :slight_smile: The recipe was from “The Book on Pie.”

IMG_0156

11 Likes

Apple pie, with a mix of Akane apples from our tree, and Honeycrisp from Eastern Washington.

I winged it. I have a couple of ancient, 7” Magic Line pans which I inherited either from my mom or her sister. Wanting to make a small-ish pie, I baked it in one of those. I used Kate McDermott’s recipe for Quintessential Apple Pie as a jumping off point, reducing it to roughly 50-60% of the original recipe, and swapping out some of cider vinegar for boiled cider and Calvados. I used the recipe found in her book Art of the Pie, but her website gives a very similar version here.

It smells good! Will cut into it tomorrow, and report back.

10 Likes

that is gorgeous.

Thank you!!!

I made Yotam Ottolenghi’s challah.

My husband likes soft, sweet-ish bread so this is his favorite bread that I make.

It’s easy to make; my lack of shaping skills doesn’t negatively affect the outcome. It calls for ingredients that I always have on hand. It stays fresh for several days. What’s not to like?

6 Likes

English gingerbread from Rose’s Heavenly Cakes. I balked at 15 oz of syrup, and started off with 10 (using dark corn syrup), but tasting the butter mix I thought the full amount would be fine, so I added the last 5 oz. I used a homemade orange jam because I didn’t want to buy a whole jar of marmalade for 1 tbsp. I also used 4 grams of salt, not a pinch, which was a great move.
The cake doesn’t turn out too sweet even with the alarming amount of syrup plus a bit of sugar. The texture of this is kinda odd and definitely more pudding-like. I like it best out of the fridge. The lemon butter sauce that tops it is fantastic.

4 Likes

Buttermilk cinnamon-sugar donut holes from Snackable Bakes - these were AMAZING. My husband ate some (this isn’t typical) and said that they were better than an orchard’s cider donut. My batch made 24 (not 30), I baked for 10 minutes, and used just a smidge less of the melted butter/cinnamon-sugar rolling mixture.

7 Likes

The pie came out great. I used 4 cups of fruit (7" pan), but might try and squeeze in a little more next time.

I don’t think I need to look further for a classic apple pie recipe, however, as the flavors were exactly what I was hoping for.

7 Likes

Devil’s Food Party Cake from Baking with Dorie frosting from Midwest Made. Silky Creamy Chocolate frosting. This is a chocolate lovers cake. Nice and moist and dense.

A birthday cakes for my son. More about this cake on COTM Baking with Dorie

15 Likes

Gorgeous!

Thanks. Hope you are well. Arent you in the Dominican Republic?

Yes. I’m well, though no power for most of the day and not sure when it will come back, so have been cooking things I had stashed in the freezer like dumplings and some beef milanesa and giving out to neighbors. Honestly have eaten too much being home!

3 Likes

Hope you stay safe and comfortable, and that the power comes back soonest.
Sounds like you are okay for food. How about water?

2 Likes

Thank you! I should be fine for water, although that was one thing I wish I had been more diligent in procuring more before this hit.

3 Likes

At the request of my girlfriend, I made a second attempt at those Chocolate “in-between” squares. The recipe for the oatmeal crust kept reminding me of a pie crust. So I froze some vegetable shortening and used that instead of butter for the crust and topping. I did add a little extra brown sugar to the mix, used my pastry cutter vs. food processor and increased the amount of crust/topping mix. Not perfect… but I think I’m onto something. I made just a bit too much crust and I should have par-baked the bottom layer before adding the cocoa & sweetened condensed milk. My girlfriend is happily consuming this attempt, but agrees with the corrections for the 3rd attempt.

6 Likes

Quick question… Has anyone worked with butter flavored Crisco in pie crusts, etc.?? What did you think of the taste?? Opinions??
Thank you in advance.

Grew up eating baked goods with Crisco, as did most people in my generation, but I won’t bake with it now. That stuff is very bad for you. Natural fat for me.

2 Likes

Right now in the oven…very easy caramel apple tart…https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/3-ingredient-caramel-apple-tart...I read the comments, the apples didnt need to be softened…they came out great…I broiled it at the end for a couple of min…and added pumpkin spice…house smells great

Sticky toffee pudding from an old issue of Gourmet. 1989, I think. My mother thought this would be perfect on a cool rainy day. It tested done out of the oven but was not done when I cut into it an hour or so later. I didn’t bother with a water bath, but put it back in the oven for about 15 minutes. Sauce was buttery and sweet. Delicious, but far too rich and sweet for me. I left it all behind at my mum’s.

7 Likes