What are you baking? September 2022

Thanks! You know my penchant for not following a recipe straight (and see what happens when I do - disaster!) so I may try that sub.

Hahaha…lol ! Now I’ll have to put it on my list …when I’m done with the peaches, nectarines and plums I just purchased.

I :heart: Marzipan

Me too! It’s just that I have almond flour at home, but I’d have to go get marzipan or almond paste.

1 Like

@Nannybakes, I imagine she says almond paste or marzipan because she has a large North American audience, whereas there is no distinction in the UK, i.e. there is nothing called almond paste sold there (the norm in Europe, as Shellybean notes). I suspect the marzipan there might be less sweet than what we find stateside, though I don’t know.

I love marzipan and almond paste, but I’m definitely picky about marzipan as confectionery as so many are sickly sweet. I think you need a higher ratio of sugar to get the smooth texture for decorative shaping or smooth rolling, but I dislike the intense sweetness and want almond first.

2 Likes

Thanks Caitlin, I indicated as much to Saragama regarding the distinction. I’m not a fan of marzipan for the same reasons you cited. I think the substitution of 130 almond flour/70g. confectionery puts that firmly in the almond paste area rather than marzipan. I think what is generally called marzipan in Europe is what we refer to as almond paste. Thanks for the input.

Pie crust question:

I frequently make quiche, which requires a par-baked crust. I also make lots of pies.

At least half the time, the rim of the crust is very tough. Tough to cut with a knife, and tough to eat. I use a crust guard consistently and do my best not to let it overbrown. I also don’t knead or work the dough excessively, because I don’t want too much gluten development. My crusts are always all-butter.

I’m not sure what to adjust to address this. Any suggestions?

MiG, I don’t prebake crusts for quiche. I do use fat daddio’s aluminum tart tins which transfer heat very well. I also bake on a stone, which definitely prevents soggy bottom. The crust I pre baked upthread, ( cookie-ish style) I baked at 325* from frozen, foil lined with sugar for about15 minutes, uncovered for 10/15 minutes more until golden. What temperature are you prebaking at?

1 Like

Definitely hotter than 325!

You pour quiche mixture into a raw crust and bake?

1 Like

Yes, as I described, usually a frozen crust. I can’t vouch for anything but fat daddio’s and a baking stone. For example, Luisa Weiss…from the German Baking Book… it’s a lot of filling but I’ve never had a problem with the bottom crust not cooking properly.

Sorry, what about Luisa?

I’m referring to her creamy leek quiche as an illustration of volume. I don’t have a link but it’s probably around. It was just for a reference for volume.

1 Like

One last thought…maybe you need to just parbake rather than doing a complete prebake .

It’s a quick parbake - just til a bit of color appears - before pouring in the quiche mixture.

Maybe I’ll freeze the crust first and try that. I could also get a stone and bake on that, which might help the bottom finish cooking faster.

1 Like

Another possibility, is to roll the edges a bit toward the center of the pie and don’t crimp too much so it doesn’t flatten out and get thin. Also, a quiche is frequently made in a tart pan rather than a pie plate, so there is no edge to deal with. Wishing you good luck!

1 Like

For the first time I tried to make Japanese Milk Bread Rolls, iambaker.net. I really didn’t know what I was doing. Perhaps I overproofed it?

1 Like

What does the crumb look like? Do you have more photos?
It’s tough to say, but it looks under-kneaded, and based on what I saw from that recipe, it wouldn’t surprise me, as it calls for very little kneading time.

The recipe also calls for a lot (too much honestly) of yeast, so it’s possible you might have over-proofed , especially in a warm kitchen.

Yes, I notice other recipes use bread flour and much less yeast.

4 Likes

Well, at least it was edible, served here with a frittata.

1 Like

The yeast definitely looks high even for a quick rise recipe (usually it’s 2 tsp for 2-4 cups flour). But from the comments, it appeared to work for other people.

I wonder if the dough was too wet, or if the dough balls weren’t tight enough - looks like they melded together more than they should have.