What are you baking? October 2022

I might be upset, also. It’s a shame they don’t show more support.

5 Likes

I’ve come to the conclusion that most people are takers. If I come across a kind, generous person, that’s the one I’m generous with now.

3 Likes

Crumpets for breakfast this morning. King Arthur’s sourdough crumpet recipe comes together quickly with a cup of sourdough starter or discard. They are then griddled for a total of about ten minutes until golden brown. The interior temperature is 200*. Split and serve with jam/butter or cool and toast.

10 Likes

I love making baked apples, especially the way I bake them: cored, stuffed with granola and baked covered with some apple juice in the bottom of the dish. I used to bake the big ol’ Honeycrisp type (1+ lb. each) and hubs and I would split one. For guests I would make smaller ones and top with a little bit of maple sugar sweetened whipped cream. Fall ‘aaah’ in a dish.

I think this counts as baking.

12" Chicago Deep Dish, Extra Cheese.

My recipes start from this one:

Though I’ve modified and tweaked to my tastes. This time, rather than using 20% semolina, I tried straight subbing it out with corn meal. The resultant dough was REALLY slack, to the point that working with it was kinda difficult. However, it tasted GREAT. Nice and crisp bottom, softer and more bready at the crust edges.

I’m now convinced the real trick to decent deep dish is the right pan. Light aluminum cake pans are not great. You want a DARK metal pan, for maximum heat absorption and aformentioned crisp bottom.

11 Likes

Chocolate chocolate cake with assorted brandied fruit and also prunes in Armagnac. A six inch cake adapted from King Arthur’s sourdough chocolate cake. A tender, moist cake that is becoming a favorite in this household, the non fruited version gets a thumbs up from my grandkids. This version would be lovely for a festive occasion, but we had no problem indulging this afternoon.

10 Likes

I’d like to order one non-fruited. Please deliver directly to my face.

Also… Sourdough CAKE? King Arthur you say? I must investigate!

1 Like

I was initially very skeptical but I made a half batch and was delighted with the outcome, there is no hint of a sourdough tang in the cake. The second and third times have been cut down to 1/4, as a six inch cake is more than enough for us. I can heartily recommend it.

It’s gorgeous, and intriguing!

Do you prefer making it with regular milk, or evaporated milk (they offer both as options)?

I’ve done both, first time with evap, but I haven’t found a noticeable difference. If you are considering making it, be sure to slowly incorporate the chocolate mixture into the flour base until there are no white streaks showing. One of the comments mentioned lumps of unincorporated dough. I did half in a six cup Bundt and 1/4 in a 3 cup Bundt and now 1/4 in the six inch cake. Next time I would use all Armagnac prunes :blush:.

1 Like

Thank you (as always!) for the sage advice - appreciate it!

1 Like

I bet those would be great for French Toast.

Hadn’t thought of that, but sounds like a good idea!

And a little more sourdough after crumpets and cake, finally got to the bread. Baked in an oval granite ware small roaster, I expect to be slicing this for lunch today. I used a new oval banneton and had a little sticking getting the dough out. I added two ice cubes between the pan and the parchment to insure a little extra steam. Worked well and I’m happy with the results.

8 Likes

Made this orange brûlée tart and it’s ok but not really rocking my world. Perhaps sour oranges would improve it. The orange cream was tasty on its own (and I was surprised, because I’m not a fan of all that butter in the famous Hermé lemon cream), but I just don’t feel like the flavor is all that interesting when it’s all put together. I even put a little vitamin C for added tartness, but it’s too sweet and bland overall.

Btw from what I can see this is a recipe from Christophe Felder.

2 Likes

Almond/dried fruit clusters…very additive! These are crunchy little morsels of goodness, I intend to make the next batch a little smaller, I would also chop the fruit a little smaller. TJ ‘s golden berry mix worked well for this. I had the recipe stored in my notes from 3/2015 so I thought it was time to give them a try. Two cups of toasted flaked almonds are mixed with one cup dried fruit, one egg white is beaten with 1/3 cup sugar and poured over. Bake at 300* until golden and toasty. I added some chocolate flakes to some of the cookies the last few minutes. The estimated cook time was 17/20 minutes but that was way off…mine cooked in 10/12 minutes. Let cool well before transferring them with an offset spatula to a plate.

10 Likes

RLB’s prosciutto ring (lard bread) from The Bread Bible.

I’ve made this before, but this time I subbed quite a bit of sourdough discard for equal parts flour and water. My starter is AP, and here I prefer bread flour, so I also added 1 ½ t. vital wheat gluten. Meats included soppressata and pepperoni, and the lard used was Kurobuta bacon fat.

I probably subbed a bit too much starter (45% of the flour weight). The dough was awfully slack, the proof took some extra time, and in general it didn’t look too positive going into the oven. The end result, however, was quite acceptable. The bread rose, the crumb is decent and the flavor is excellent. I feel the sourdough notes are an improvement, and I’m thrilled to have gotten rid of 300 g. of discard. All is well that ends well, but next time will probably cut back to 200 g. starter for ease of handling and a bit more structure.

If of interest, the recipe is located on a food blog here.

8 Likes

That’s too bad. They are probably conditioned to getting all your beautiful desserts gifted to them. Time to retrain!

1 Like

Looks great, I’ll need to try your ice cube trick. Just starting to refresh my starter today, it’s been unseasonably warm, too much so to want to bake bread.

1 Like

Two small ice cubes worked well. I made the same bread today and fortunately, the bread released easily from the banneton, so I skipped the cubes. It’s a good trick to have up your sleeve if you think the bread can use a little boost.

1 Like