What are you baking? October 2022

I think that height is achieved by the shape of the container. That was a 500g loaf, rested overnight in a banneton… I used a 3 3/4”tall Corningware soufflé shaped dish and the bread fitted in snugly. I also use a round 3qt. granite ware baking container and it also results in a nice tall loaf. I no longer use enamel cast iron as I get great results without dealing with the weight of the cast iron. I know this is heretical but it works for me :grinning:. Perhaps trying another baking vessel might do the trick?
ETA. The bread I make is at 74% hydration, I assume the no knead bread you are making has a higher hydration and is therefore more slack and harder to keep its shape. There are some lower hydration no kneads that might help in keeping the boule shape better.

There IS glass that is safe for high heat. It’s borosilicate glass, and it’s what they make lab equipment out of. Old (very old) pyrex was made from it, which is why people try and snap it up when it shows up at garage sales and thrift stores.

Most pyrex and other ‘oven safe’ glass nowadays is tempered soda-lime glass, which doesn’t have the resistance to thermal shock of borosilicate glass. It is also much less expensive and easier to manufacture.

You can find borosilicate cookware, but you’ll have to hunt for it, probably at specialty shops, and it probably won’t be cheap.

1 Like

A couple of years ago I found two PYREX borosilicate measuring cups at a garage sale for $1 each. You can find them, if you know what to look for:

2 Likes

Thank you for the tip. The loaf I made today was 78% hydration. I only proofed it in the banneton after shaping for 75 min before baking. The second I inverted it onto parchment it spread and lost height. I’m also baking in a stainless steel pot that has a pretty wide bottom, so I guess that encourages the bread to spread rather than rise up. I’d have to buy another pot, because I don’t have anything else that would work. But if I keep making bread, I may do that.

I shape the parchment on the outside of the baking container. I lightly dampen my hands with water and run it over the parchment prior to shaping. I then dump the bread out into the slightly shaped parchment. If it starts to spread, I slash the bread after its in the container.

I’m not using a pyrex storage container, rather a borosilicate glass lidded Simax casserole that describes bread as one of its uses. (But for my other pyrex I try not to have a temperature or moisture shock, which is purportedly what causes the shatter issue.)

The casserole says safe to 475 or 500, I’d have to double check (ETA: 572F), but my countertop oven doesn’t go over 450 so I’ve not tested the max.

Alexandra of BTC based her whole bread book on 1-1.5qt pyrex mixing bowls, and those breads start at 425 and drop to 375.

Re spreading — I usually bake smaller loaves, and 3 things help curtail spreading for me:
(1) using a container sized for the quantity of dough vs one that’s much bigger
(2) reducing hydration
(3) balling the dough more tightly vs a loose fold or plop - probably a variation of (2)

1 Like

Would you consider lining the banneton with parchment? That way you would just shift into the baking vessel. I don’t preheat the baking container, so I have no problem with handling it. I might add that the bread I bake does an overnight slow rise in the banneton but in the fridge.

My Hokkaido chiffon cupcakes were a hit! I actually told a friend to go buy one because of course I was nervous whether people would buy since it’s not the usual stuff found here. He went barely any time later and reported there were none. Today I spoke to the supermarket owner and she told me she got one and LOVED how soft and light it was and the cream was so delightful and that they flew!
I’m going to make more tomorrow and maybe some key like icebox cake/pie.

8 Likes

Yay, Shellybean! Congratulations!

2 Likes

Yay!

(I’ve often wondered whether your prolific baking is just for your household, but this explains it.)

1 Like

I have 2 no knead bread recipes that I use. Neither rises in the fridge. They are both room temp rises. One of them preheats the pot (it’s a Ken Forkish recipe) and the other (sourdough with starter) starts in a cold pot. I’m guessing it’s the diameter of my pot that is the biggest issue. I believe it’s about 10" or 12" across. And likely rising the dough in parchment wouldn’t keep it from spreading once it goes in the pot. What was the diameter of the graniteware you used? Mine was also a 500 g loaf.

Gorgeous! It kind of sounds/looks like a Boston cream pie but with orange curd instead of vanilla custard. I’d definitely eat that…

2 Likes

The 3qt.granite ware is 8 1/2” at the base, it’s straight sided. I also use a kettle shaped one for smaller loaves that’s 7”. It’s too narrow to get a 500g. loaf in, but great for 375g. loaves.

Ok you’ve given me food for thought. Mine is 10” I just measured. Here is the pot and the loaf.

1 Like

Usually to give away to anyone who will take it :joy:. But I’m starting to sell more.

2 Likes

Are there people, like, hanging around in front of your house all day waiting for you to give away cake?

I would be.

4 Likes

I might consider doing a few stretch and folds during the first hour or so. You would gain a little more structure that way. Maybe you need a larger loaf for that size pan :joy:!
I have a stainless steel pan I use when I want a 250g. loaf. The only problem is that it has a slight belly shape and getting it out is always a challenge! Do you have a stainless mixing bowl? FWIW, I bake on a stone.

I don’t have a stainless mixing bowl. I mix in acrylic bowls. The breads each get 3 folds in the first 90 minutes of the first proof. So that isn’t it. Or shouldn’t be. I’m guessing it’s a combo of too wide a base for the pot, a high hydration dough, and a large loaf that naturally is going to droop under its own weight. Having baked many a no-knead bread, I’d imagine, what would you recommend as a pot material and size in order to do a taller 500g loaf? Thanks!

1 Like

The loaves are a little more complicated than a standard no knead. The dough rises for 12 hrs., then shaped on counter into a boule and left to rest for 30 minutes. Following that, the boule is reshaped, placed in banneton and rested again at room temperature for 30 minutes. It then goes in the refrigerator for 8+~ hours. So the shaping and reshaping makes for a tighter structure.
As for a baking vessel, as we discussed, a smaller diameter would certainly help with restricting spread. Since I use a variety of materials, I can’t suggest a specific one. Do you have a Home Goods store in your area? It might be a good place to keep an eye out for something in a size that would be suitable. As I mentioned, the Corningware is 3 3/4 tall but I use a domed lid on it, so something deeper would be more useful. The granite ware is probably a similar depth, but again, has a high domed lid.

1 Like

There are people who either come by and casually ask if I’ve made anything, or text asking if I’ve got any desserts. :joy:
I was honestly left feeling rather upset recently by people I’ve handed off tons of stuff to. For the first time I was selling something (not a special order for someone I mean) — squares of Texas sheet cake, which you really can’t get something like that in this town, as chocolate cakes often don’t look like they even contain cocoa/chocolate. These people have been telling me for months about how I should sell because everything is so good. Do you think that they offered to buy a single piece (price was under $2 for a sizable square btw)? :unamused: My mom gave me an “I told you so” about how certain members of that family are famous for their stingy ways and always trying to get one over even though they’re well off and that’s why she doesn’t like giving them anything.

7 Likes