What are you baking? November 2023

Need a nice large vent hole :joy:

3 Likes

Thank you! I let the butter cool, and the batter did not flow, even before I rested it. I made a half of the David Lebowitz recipe, using weight rather than volume, and it did include salt. If I recall correctly, it mixes everything at once, but I noticed the Serious Eats recipe lightly whips the egg whites, I believe with flour.

ETA; here are the DL instructions I used;

“In a medium bowl, mix the almond or hazelnut powder, sugar, flour and salt. Stir in the egg whites and vanilla or almond extract, then the browned butter.”

I used the DL recipe with almond flour and liked it more. Could it be the "pistachio powder " ?

I’m almost out of it, so I won’t try that again. I have almond and hazelnut flour for my next trial, and maybe I’ll try what’s left of the “powder” as decoration.

I mix the egg whites with the dry ingredients and add the hot butter last. It doesn’t really matter if you beat the whites except for loosening them up so it’s a bit easier to mix with everything else. Financiers are dense and heavy by design. What I notice is that your mixture looks very solid like a dough where it should be a batter that easily flows into whatever mold you’re piping it into.

2 Likes

Next batch, batter at room temp longer, baked shorter, taste better.

6 Likes

A belated birthday gift for a friend who can’t have wheat: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020871-gluten-free-chocolate-chip-cookies ( paywall). My favourite gluten free chocolate chip cookie

12 Likes

Love, love, LOVE this cookie recipe! It’s my go-to for GF baking.

1 Like

Wow, so they don’t really spread or brown?!

The Ovenly ccc also works really well with GF flours (think it’s the rest that enables the flour to fully hydrate: the issue I had with most commercial GF cookies was the grittiness that was retained in the end product).

@truman fyi

3 Likes

Ah, yes, you put your finger on it!

1 Like

I have a half-batch of the NYT almond flour dough in the freezer, waiting for my next chocolate emergency!

I will say that the GF baking I’ve done with a premixed flour blend (King Arthur Measure 4 Measure) has been grittier than the recipes that call for individual flours and starches. For something like cornbread, M4M works fine… otherwise that hydration rest is important!

1 Like

It does brown a bit ( my pictures are of questionable quality)… I do like that I don’t have to buy anything extra: usually have almond flour!

1 Like

Thanks will check that out!! I have a few friends with celiac, always nice to have options…

They do in the video, maybe it’s size-related.

1 Like

Started on Thanksgiving prep.

Kheema spirals / spiral kheema parathas to start: more heavily than usually spiced kheema (ground turkey this iteration), and calabrian chile paste spread on half the pastry for a spicier version.

These turned out well, and will be repeated.

12 Likes

Another good GF dessert using almond flour is the Loopy Whisk’s lemon drizzle cake. I’ve also made a fall version with apple cider instead of lemon juice, and cinnamon and nutmeg instead of lemon zest.

1 Like

Baby boule (1 cup flour) using the SE method of overnight rise + 3-5 days in the fridge.

I may need to replace my yeast (or I should have used a smaller container… or I shouldn’t have tried ATK’s cold oven start on this, maybe the initial oven spring was missing).

Really nice flavor. I ate all the “corners” soon after it came out (sliced up the rest and put away for toast).

14 Likes

Marron glacé muffins. I’m staying at a friend’s house who has no oven. We went halves on a toaster oven for her and her husband. She doesn’t bake at all, but loves lightly sweetened cakes, etc. I used a basic muffin from the back of a Japanese pancake mix (similar to something like Bisquick) and changed out some of the normal ingredients with Greek yogurt and cream cheese. I also added said marron glacé and vanilla extract.

I wish I could bake and cook more for her and her husband, but their kitchen is small and sparse and because that’s the way the like it, I really can’t do anything about it.

14 Likes

@Saregama I am fascinated by your kheema spirals. Just kheema rolled in puff pastry or is there more to it?

2 Likes

Those look so delicious! My lemon verbena plant is… not thriving, I think it needs more sun. Got just enough leaves to make a mason jar of simple syrup :roll_eyes:

That’s it!

1 Like