What are you baking? November 2023

Gorgeous!

Curious — do your bundts dome? (I’m still thinking about the extra doming I had yesterday even baking at 275.)

1 Like

Depending more on the flour I use, if I use self rising, it’s always got a little more boost. I did use it here but the pistachio flour took care of that. Baked at 335* confection bake,this particular cake bakes very rapidly. I also make most of my cakes in the FP, so that likely also has some effect. I adhere to the “big bang” theory, both before and after. It definitely settles the cake down.

1 Like

Looks good, I will check it out!

1 Like

So funny, I never do this but I actually did yesterday, hoping it would flatten them out a bit :joy:

I also cut back both the baking powder and the baking soda (I only stock AP).

That d@mn extra egg, I knew it was the culprit :rofl:

1 Like

Perhaps…if you ever make the cake the same way twice😂, you could reduce the leavening agent a bit. The center tube definitely provides heat considerably more rapidly than a round cake mold.

1 Like

I usually make this cake relatively consistently :rofl:— except for where the orange flavor is coming from (juice, liqueur, oleosaccharum, etc).

But I should probably read my own notes. Not my first egg encounter :woman_facepalming:t2:.

1 Like

This cake has two eggs and only 3/4 c flour. I think it’s a misnomer to call it a poundcake as it’s a tender cake with a little bit of fluff to it. I have used jumbo eggs in other cakes and have been pleased with the results, but I agree, it does increase the rise.

1 Like

They are also used in savory Applications. A Moroccan Tagine comes to mind also I know it is used in some Persian Dishes as well.

2 Likes

I made this lemon ricotta cake for dessert last night. I had guests over and served Carmine’s penne alla vodka and Carmine’s (antipasto) salad. I wanted to keep the Italian-American theme going so I looked for a recipe for ricotta cake. This was simple to make and absolutely delicious. I served it with macerated strawberries. I had planned for vanilla whipped cream too but I didn’t have time before my friends came over and then we started doing shots. . . ahem. hahahaha

8 Likes

Oh that looks great

1 Like

it was really good and simple to make

1 Like

A cake I made just to sample, so I didn’t bother to do anything except assemble it. This is a salted Oreo cream cake. I had seen it making the rounds and was very curious about the salty cream. A little under 1% salt is added to a lightly sweet (a bit less than 10%) whipped cream filling.
The first cake I attempted for this was so unsweet! It contained as much sugar as flour while also having cocoa. I’m all for not too sweet, but this cake didn’t taste sweet at all.
I tried another version and it was a bit sweeter, but still rather lacking in sweetness overall.
I finally went with a chocolate sponge I like. It’s not very sweet, but sweeter than those cakes.
The salted cream is interesting. Salt makes the milky flavor of cream really stand out and emphasizes the Oreo flavor. I kind of like it, but I am not sure if it’s something you want a lot of as the salt builds up. I am of two minds about the cakes I tried out. On one hand, salt tones down bitterness so those cakes might work well. On the other hand, I kind of feel like a sweeter cake is necessary to contrast the salty cream.

6 Likes

I didn’t bake this “bun”, but MIL did;

Made with

Washed down with ginger beer. :grin:

8 Likes

Baking folks, in case you didn’t see the other thread @hungryonion created, if you do your Amazon black friday or other holiday shopping via the HO affiliate link, you can help defray costs for the site.

https://www.amazon.com/?tag=amazon0d7e45-20

2 Likes

Pita with sourdough starter. I wanted to make these because they are made with a decent amount of egg white, which I always have on hand. These also contain a pretty good amount of oil. I often find pita loses a lot when it cools down, but these are so delicious when fully cooled no doubt in part due to these additions plus of course sourdough starter. And they contain more protein than regular pita, too.

I love the crumb here

These do not like deflating even when completely cool.

17 Likes

Wowza!!!

5 Likes

Ginger hottendots from Classic Home Desserts. I haven’t made these in ages. They’d probably be good for a holiday cookie plate since the ginger is quite forward. Two sheet pans made 114 cookies that had an average diameter of 4cm or about 1.5 inches.

14 Likes

Finally made the fudgy smoked paprika cookies from Cookies: The New Classics and these are definitely worth making. I confess I wrote down the ingredients for half a batch and went into automatic this morning and creamed the butter since so many of the cookies in this book start with creaming, only to realize I was supposed to have melted the butter. I increased the salt because it didn’t seem enough and cut back slightly on the vanilla because it seemed too much.
This book continually has some issues on portioning, as I previously made recipes which called for a scoop that led to far more cookies than what the recipe was supposed to yield. This time I got only 7 cookies when I should have gotten 9, and normally I wouldn’t think much of such a discrepancy except I creamed the butter rather than melted, so if anything I should have ended up with more, not fewer cookies. I think the #16 scoop he calls for must be filled pretty scantily.

The cookies are delicious even for someone like me who isn’t always into double chocolate cookies. The smoked paprika is undeniably present, but doesn’t taste like you’re eating smoked paprika— it tastes like another flavor note in the chocolate. I mentioned I increased the salt, and I’d like to actually increase it a bit more still. Some salt flakes would not be unwelcome here.
Btw I’m amused that the recipes in this book all calling for natural cocoa is supposed to make it more accessible considering the trouble I had in acquiring this cocoa (ended up getting Guittard after never getting a response from Cocolaat about their mistake) and knowing that people who bake regularly are much more likely to have Dutch process exclusively.

10 Likes

Brownies, baby!
Cocoa, rum, chocolate chunks, browned butter.

Not for me, though :joy: Hostess gift (well, for the kids) for tomorrow.

Just half a batch, because they will probably have plenty of Thanksgiving dessert leftovers.

I almost went with the recipe in Yossi Arefi’s new book, but the order of steps just didn’t sit right with me (mainly that the cocoa isn’t bloomed), so I decided it was too risky to try a new recipe for a gift (thanks @MidwesternerTT for cautionary words about new recipes in a different context).

13 Likes

I messaged my cousin’s wife yesterday to let her know that the remainder of the cake would freeze well, (they were leaving for a 10-day trip, and took the cake home Sunday night).

“Remainder?” was the reply I got back — I forget how fast teenage boys can inhale baked goods :joy::rofl:

9 Likes