What Are You Baking? November 2022

Nice to see you too! Always nice to see friends.

What do you think of this brioche? (Honest opinion; not fishing for compliments.

5 Likes

I did make a brioche aux fruits once, but don’t have a picture.

Walnut-maple biscotti. They have an intense maple fla our. I used dark maple syrup and maple flavouring

9 Likes

From the look of your brioche, I would say it was correct, better than the Nanterre I’ve baked above. The crust was thinner than mine, the texture was fine with this type of brioche. I saw the egg wash mark on the top, maybe you’ve brushed egg yolk directly? I think a 1:1 milk-yolk mixture or water-egg mixture may make a more even colour. For example mine, I found the texture a bit too dense and compact, slightly overcooked, it’s a thing that I hope to improve.

Finally…Pumpkin, Date and Nut Bread and Muffins.
Really tasty with a schmear of cream cheese

Add images here

5 Likes

Best of luck. Ours died after 2 years due to 1) climate changes and 2) voles girdled the ‘protected’ sapling trunk. Fedco was where we bought ours. I was heartbroken.

(post deleted by author)

• I recently got a new oven, and I’m going to bake some cakes.
1 Like

I’ll never get tired of crisp!

10 Likes

I made RLB’s chocolate financiers and I’m not a fan. They call for 125 grams of butter (start with 170, use 125) but only 35 grams of flour and 50 g almonds, with a small amount of cornstarch (1.5 tsp) and 10 g cocoa powder. Even rested overnight the end result is greasy. I know that cocoa powder is thirsty and also the cornstarch’s presence is likely there for it’s absorption, too, but I just don’t think it’s enough dry ingredients for 120 g egg whites, 125 g sugar, and 124 g butter. As usual I added salt to these.
I wish I’d made other chocolate financiers I had in mind instead, though I feel like these have to have gone wrong. The batter was perfectly emulsified yesterday, though.

2 Likes

I think maybe I didn’t let the batter sit out long enough this morning while the oven pre-heated. Rose calls for 30 minutes out and it’s possible I didn’t leave them out that long. With other financiers it’s not necessary to let them sit out in my experience, but since these are a bit different in terms of dry ingredients, they might be a bit fussier. Looking at a video with similar proportions, the advice is to stir the batter again after chilling. I’ve never had a batter separate after chilling, but this one is atypical, it’s likely that’s what happened. Well I have plenty of egg whites to try again!

1 Like

King Arthur’s pumpkin cake donuts.

I use 20% white whole wheat to add a little heft, otherwise as per the recipe.

DH likes these warm, straight out of the oven. I think they have a much (better) more donut-like texture after they’ve sat around awhile.

Here sprinkled with cinnamon sugar.

11 Likes

I’ve got bread dough rising in my home office with me. The sun warms the office, so its always the warmest place in the house. We are getting low on bread and I’m just not going to pay what the stores want for a loaf of bread. Also, mine is better!! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

They look beautiful and just scream Autumn to me

1 Like

I made a Caramel Tart yesterday. The base and topping is a mix of oats, flour, sugar and coconut. I really liked it though I do have a massive sweet tooth but even I can’t eat a lot in one sitting. Sadly it got stuck to the tin so I think next time I’ll have to grease and line the tart tin with baking paper.

11 Likes

A pullman bread loaf that is very easy to put together. Nice soft crumb. Its from Midwest Made Baking.

10 Likes

Niiiiiice!

1 Like

Thanks

Made some blueberry tarts (Philippe Tayac), the tart crust is the classic sweet shortcrust pastry, a layer of mixed fruit jam (raspberry, red currants, wild blueberries, wild blackberries, black currants) spread inside the case, topped with sponge finger biscuit and filled with vanilla diplomat cream. The star is this homemade “jam”, that adds the tangy dimension to the otherwise mild flavours of vanilla and blueberries.

14 Likes