What Are You Baking? November 2022

BEAUTY! I’d love to learn how to do this. Never heard of “diplomat cream.”

1 Like

Diplomat is pastry cream plus whipped cream. Go-to filling for cream puffs, eclairs, and other things like Hokkaido chiffon cupcakes. Technically diplomat also has gelatin to differentiate from crème légère which doesn’t, but I find most people use “crème diplomat” to refer to it.

1 Like

Thanks @mig, @shellybean explained very well.

This recipe is similar to the recipe I used for Diplomat cream, except I didn’t use vanilla extract but beans. Starts with heat the milk until nearly boiling, stop the heat immediately and then infuse the vanilla beans and pod for 15 minutes in the hot milk, and then proceed with the recipe below.

2 Likes

DS requested that I bribe him with chocolate cake so he wouldn’t complain too much about getting his flu shot and then Covid booster. He kept up his end of the bargain, so I made Ree Drummond’s big chocolate cake (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ree-drummond/big-chocolate-birthday-cake-recipe-2042432), but a half-recipe in 6” pans.

Add images here

17 Likes

Highly worthy bribe @truman!!!

1 Like

I went searching for Lyle’s Golden Syrup. First tried a market in SF that carries a lot of British products. They had about 6 tins, best by 10/22 and 1 with a better date. That one, even though sealed, was black all around the rim.

I called another store, no Lyle’s. Cost Plus had it on line but only in plastic bottles.

I gave up, ordered from Amazon, good for 2 years, came in 2 days.

If you use the tin of syrup do you transfer it to a glass container or leave as is?

I found it at World Market (don’t know if you have those) - it came in a plastic bottle. Maybe someone will chime in with advice for the tin.

## Storage

Bottles and cans of golden syrup can be kept unopened in the pantry until the sell-by date. Once open, commercial golden syrup lasts around three to six months, as long as it’s sealed properly and is kept out of direct sunlight. I does not need to be refrigerated, and if it is kept in the cooler it may crystalize and/or loose viscosity.

Whole Foods is where I used to buy it.

I have had a heck of a time finding Lyle’s in any container. Those sweet cans are not available and I really want another can. The stuff is soooo good. I prefer serving it straight, with a spoon. If anyone finds it in the can, please speak up! The can I had, must have been at least ten years old, was finally poured into a glass jar. Still tasty.

1 Like

My closest WF didn’t have it.

Are you in USA? Can you order from Amazon? I think 1 tin was $7 but I ordered 3 for $15.

i’m sure someone is making good bread in the state of florida but in 50 years of visiting my family, havent found it. forgot to grab my starter before our drive down, took about a week to get a new one going, baked this yesterday.

12 Likes

pizza otoh has improved, but havent found good chicago style. we have a challenging oven for pizza baking, no bottom heat, this could have gone another 5 mins.

8 Likes

Cost Plus, which Aubergine referred to, is World Market (if you look closely, you can see Cost Plus in small print right above World Market). It originated in San Francisco, with another store across the bay in Oakland before being sold to a big corp. and going national, so longtime Bay Area people still tend to refer to it as Cost Plus. I gather the issue there for Aubergine was that she didn’t want to buy it in plastic.

1 Like

I loved Cost Plus when we still had them. Especially in the early days when they still were rather funky.
They were a seperate physical store from World Market here until the end.

1 Like

Well, there’s this guy.

Though the channel isn’t active anymore, the breads are really good.

We are hosting Friendsgiving today so I’m doing lots of cooking and baking. I made Molly Yeh’s stollen bars for the first time - wow, they are delicious! I made a small tweak and lowered the amount of cardamom because it is not my favorite flavor and I find it can get overpowering. The chewy pockets of marzipan, the tangy cherries and crunch of the pistachios are a winning combination.

I needed an egg and gluten free dessert so I made Smitten Kitchen’s Pear Cranberry and Gingersnap crumble - subbing GF flour and GF/egg free gingersnaps. The gingersnaps were not particularly “snappy” so I increased the amount of ginger.

Next on the docket are the pretzel bites from Sally’s Baking Addiction. I’ve never made these, so hopefully they come out well. I generally find her recipes to be reliable.

I am going to serve these with beer cheese from Serious Eats.

This is my warm up for all of the upcoming holiday baking! Love this season!

10 Likes

Ah yes, Cost Plus was the best. We used to call it ‘Indian Imports’ bitd. We’d visit the one in SF after dinner on Sundays where the parents would buy rattan floor matting, wicker everything and lots of import table ware. Indian glass bracelets were my treat, always broken somewhere along the Bay Bridge. Many years later I would buy gourmet import food stuffs, millifiori picture frames, potted plants, (this was the early 70’s!) Chinese slippers, water buffalo sandals and beautiful Czech garnet jewelry. You could find anything for anyone for any occasion there and it was great for finding a gift IF you could tear yourself away. I miss them soooooo much. The World Market stores I’ve been to are a fraction of the size and quality of the original. As for Lyle’s, I bought my first can there in the mid 70’s.

3 Likes

I try not to order online.