What Are You Baking? May 2024

Mother’s Day present. Maybe now I’ll be able to cut straight. It expands from 1/2 inch to a little over 4. I can also use it for marking and then
use a knife. So happy.

12 Likes

Is this for making lattice strips for a pie??

Those are great, just don’t push too hard and then let your hand slide forward. The wheels are sharp enough to break skin if you’re too enthusiastic.

Uh Oh, on your way to baking professionally!

Braiding looks perfect to me!

1 Like

Thanks… I found a step by step guide on the internet and printed it out.

Being a guy with short hair, I never braided anything before. I had to read the instructions 3 times, then I understood what the writer was saying.

4 Likes

Yes, the internet can be a big help. I love getting immediate answers to my questions.

I’d been thinking that most women have more experience braiding their own hair, dolls’ hair, little girls.

When my daughter was young, no one was doing French braids so I never learned that.

To me, homemade always tastes better than store bought.

2 Likes

On repeat, dead simple. Small batch.

An Entenmann’s Inspired Pound Cake
Cookbook Author: Jenny Rosenstrach

1 pat butter for greasing pan (or cooking spray)
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons lemon zest
3/4 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a standard 8 1/2-by-4 1/2-by-2 1/2-inch loaf pan.
Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl. In a large bowl, mix together sugar and lemon zest. Whisk in sour cream, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract until blended. Fold in dry ingredients. Once it has come together, fold in berries if using. You do not want to overmix.
Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 50-55 minutes until top of cake is golden brown and a tester inserted into center comes out clean. Let the cake cool completely before slicing.

My alterations: I use self rising flour instead of AP flour and baking powder. I reduce salt by one tsp. I use plain whole milk yogurt instead of sour cream. I use lemon juice instead of zest (just preference). I switch up on oil types but they all work. Homemade vanilla extract, always.

13 Likes

I will certainly use it for that. But I’ve seen it used for making markings for crescent rolls and croissants. Might be useful in marking cinnamon rolls for cutting. Cutting nicely even squares, etc etc but most of all i love it because they thought of something different to give me.

5 Likes

Like in my dreams but a nice thought

Thanks for the warning

It’s nice to see you @Rooster!

Thanks, G.

1 Like

Cakes d’ Alsace from the cookbook Gateau.

Gearing up for picnic season, I made extra for the freezer. This is 1 ½ recipe, in six 5” x 3” USA pans.

12 Likes

Clever!

1 Like

Aside from being delicious, I find this bread so convenient - hearty, and no refrigeration required. A little fruit and maybe some boiled eggs, and instant to-go food.

3 Likes

Cheese? Green onions?

Today I used crispy bacon, caramelized shallot, gruyere, and parsley. My favorite herb here is chives, but I didn’t have any today.

ETA: that should read shallot (not scallion)

4 Likes

Found no fewer than 8 bananas in the freezer, so made a double batch of this banana chocolate-chip cake. I sub oil for butter, cardamom for cinnamon, and added walnuts. I up the sugar a little and the chocolate a lot (mix of dark and semisweet).

The mini loaves will go to the teachers.

14 Likes

Strawberry sour cream cake , this is in a 6 x2” cake pan and would have benefited by being in a 6x3” which I had in hand and then put back :roll_eyes:. I used an air fryer liner, I grabbed a square rather than a round, so had some excess pleating of the liner. It peals off the cake easily and leaves a very clean pan. There’s a simple strawberry sauce to accompany the cake, adapted from Natacha’s kitchen.
ETA: I did not layer strawberry pieces in the cake, just placed halved strawberries on top.

15 Likes