What Are You Baking? May 2023

Yes i had some leftover frangipane from another bake

1 Like

Ice cream sandwiches from smitten kitchen. Very good and will repeat. I didn’t smooth it in the pan very well before baking but it still went together ok. She calls for 2 1/2 cups of ice cream.
Next time I won’t bother with the extra half cup - just one pint sliced in 5 and smooshed together would be fine and save digging out another 1/2 cup.

17 Likes

Heres a cake i made on the weekend when all my family was here. Its from Baking with Dorie and one of this month’s bakes. CURD,BERRIES AND CREAM CAKE. the cake is a hot sponge cake. Baked and split and when cool each half is brushed with lemon syrup. Cream is whipped and mascarpone cheese folded in. Spread whip cream on layer,scatter half the berries, dapple lemon curd, repeat for top. My family really l

oved this cake and said it was like a tiramisu cake.

19 Likes

Expecting grand kids this weekend so I made M and M cookies from the NYT. A lot of their posters thought there was too much white sugar, a cup, but I made them small and they are delicious. Maybe if I make them again I might cut back to 3/4 of a cup. There is also 1/4 cup of brown sugar which I wouldn’t change.
I will try to post the recipe, sorry there is a pay wall.

8 Likes

Homemade ice cream sandwiches are a bucket list bake for me!

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about tiramisu that’s not involving coffee, which my mother doesn’t care for. This might fit the bill :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey i found the recipe on line.

4 Likes

Sunshine’s sweet tooth kicked in late last night, so I threw together a quick blueberry cobbler. I had some blueberries in the freezer that I had been wanting to use up, so it worked out great. Sunshine was quite happy with her late night treat!!

9 Likes

I think you are probably the best BF ever! 🩵

5 Likes

Do you like matcha or hojicha? Those are two of my favorite non-coffee options.
Strawberry and lemon are also nice.

Gingerbread biscotti, my own recipe. Tasted still warm from the oven, I’m pretty happy with the level of traditional gingerbread spices in these; time will tell if I want to adjust that in any way.

14 Likes

Thank you…

Sunshine brings joy and happiness to my life each and every day!!

4 Likes

Just got even better.

8 Likes

I can’t get on the matcha train. I’ve tried - lord knows I’ve tried. But in any case, this dessert is for mom, and she’s definitely not gonna be down with such exotic flavors!

1 Like

I recently had a lemon cake that was basically a lemon tiramisu. Not sure if that would work for you. It was light and delicious.

10 Likes

Rachel Roddy’s Oats & Raisins Biscuits from The Guardian.

A couple of things appealed to me about this recipe: the ingredient list, and their seemingly crunchy texture and tidy appearance. The cookies get a thumbs-up on the former – I love whole oats, brown sugar and currants in almost any form. The recipe gets a fail, however, on the latter – the dough was difficult to slice cleanly, either from the fridge or after a 20-minute chill in the freezer. In both cases, I had to press the cookies back together before baking. The freezer batch came out slightly neater, but still not trim.

As the final cookie is tasty with good texture, besides being chock-full of good things, I might make them again sometime. If anyone has any ideas on how to resolve the slicing issue, I’m all ears.

10 Likes

Looks right up my alley :slight_smile:

1 Like

Made Eric Kayser’s country bread and it’s so delicious. Every recipe from Kayser I’ve made tastes just like the bread I would buy from his bakeries. I actually decided to try skipping the kneading here since I was doing it by hand, and just do folds and it worked well. I shaped into a boule and baked in the Dutch oven, which I did not bother to preheat. I let it get nice and dark and the flavor is exactly what I wanted. Can’t wait to make a few different toasts with this!

9 Likes

Deborah Madison’s onion tart once again. I used a round of the Milk Street pie dough I had in the freezer this time.

13 Likes

I made these Chewy Strawberry Almond Bars except I used homemade cherry jam in place of the strawberry jam. I’m doing my best to take advantage of this year’s late and probably short cherry season.

I’ve made these bars many times sometimes with strawberry jam, sometimes with strawberry rhubarb jam and sometimes with cherry jam. They are delicious; in fact, they are one of my husband’s favorite things that I make.

As the blogger commented that the amount of almond extract was overpowering, I use 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract and 3/4 teaspoons vanilla extract.

These bars are quite sweet so those of you who like your sweets only slightly sweet probably won’t enjoy them. They are especially sweet when I use cherry jam as cherries aren’t as tart as strawberries.

This is the cherry jam recipe I used.

When I make the bars with strawberry jam I use this recipe.

When I make them with strawberry rhubarb jam I use this recipe, but I cut the recipe in half because the whole recipe makes a ton of jam.

Can everyone here tell that I’m a huge fan of David Lebovitz? :wink:

8 Likes