What Are You Baking? May 2023

Thanks for the links - it will be cherry season in my neck of the woods soon. Strawberries too, and I’m a jammer.

1 Like

Yesterday I made Yossy Arefi’s Browned Butter Rhubarb Crisp.

Wow, it’s fantastic. The toastiness of the brown butter contrasts beautifully with the tartness of the rhubarb. Brown butter is culinary magic. The crunchy topping contrasts beautifully with the soft rhubarb.

Those of you who prefer your sweets not too sweet will love this recipe. In fact, my husband found the rhubarb too tart and wished I’d added more sugar.

I just realized that due to me being a paid subscriber to NY Times Cooking, I am permitted to unlock and share ten recipes per month. If there’s one that any of you would like to see, please ask.

7 Likes

Thanks again, love rhubarb and browned butter.

1 Like

I think I learned from you about refreshing and pausing and it still works for me. If only it worked with ATK! :joy:

1 Like

You didn’t learn refreshing and pausing from me. I’ve been a paid NY Times Cooking subscriber since it was an option.

I’ve never been a paid subscriber to America’s Test Kitchen because I’ve read several times that they ignore requests to terminate subscriptions.

I have also made and enjoyed his plum-strawberry jam.

3 Likes

Wondering if the jam recipe posters and baking with jam recipes would mind posting those links over on the 2023 jam making thread. Always a few asking what to do with excess, or looking for ways to use older jams before making new.

When I was a teenager I signed up for ATK because they advertised how it was free. Well, eventually there was a whole thing with billing and it was a bit of a hassle to cancel the subscription.

3 Likes

Plum also pairs very well with raspberries - it’s one of my dad’s favs, also a GF of mine too. I’ve tried it with blackberries, but didn’t think it was an inspired combination.

1 Like

First local strawbs of the year :two_hearts::strawberry::two_hearts:

Shortcake!

16 Likes

Saw a friend today, so brought her some cookies: Dorie’s world peace cookies with Dulcey white chocolate. Another roll in my freezer for emergencies…

12 Likes

Burnt cheesecake with blueberry topping and cheesecake brownies.

12 Likes

A little batch of corn muffins. I used the recipe in Rose’s Baking Basics specifically because it makes only six muffins, so no need to cut down, but I did tweak it a little to make it more hearty and savory. I used medium-fine stone-ground cornmeal and whole wheat pastry flour (the recipe calls for equal weights cornmeal and AP) and cut the sugar way back, to just 2 tsp., and added some grated aged cheddar, chopped scallion greens, and frozen corn kernels. Most of the liquid and fat component in these is in the form of sour cream, so even having made them fully whole grain, they’re quite tender. They have a good toasty corn flavor when warmed.

11 Likes

A team member just got married, so we are having a tea for her tomorrow at work. I made this https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019441-fresh-strawberry-bundt-cake. I panicked a bit about how much dough my bundt pan would take, so also made a mini-cake on the side. On reflection, could have put more in the bundt pan. I added about 1/4 cup of freeze-dried strawberries, blitzed in the fp, to the glaze. Will report back tomorrow on taste…

11 Likes

Really curious to hear what you think of this. I am sure I considered making this many times, but for whatever reason I don’t think I ever got around to it.

Shoot, pretty big sale going on over at King Arthur. Enter at your own risk.

4 Likes

This bread is a sourdough bread which has bread flour and whole wheat

One delicious bread.
Here is the recipe

8 Likes

USA Pan also offering discounts today and free stuff. Ends tonight I believe. I’ve resisted thus far, but have stuff in my cart. :neutral_face:

Mocha rolls. :yum:

IMG_7953

14 Likes