What Are You Baking? May 2023

Buttermilk cinnamon buns from 100 Morning Treats by Sara Kieffer. The dough is made and then folded over 4 times

every 30 minutes. Left to rise over night. Daughter and family here, declared them delicious. I just tasted and it was soft and flakey

16 Likes

I’ve never had any king of honey cake. This looks delicious!

1 Like

Here you go. This is really a national cake of Ukraine called Kyiv cake. Not Russian.

:ukraine: :ukraine:

4 Likes

It’s a cake with tons of variations. I follow a few Russian and Ukrainian channels and they have a bunch of different versions. They can be made with either rolled cookie layers or sponge cake, and the filling can be starch-thickened custard, all sour cream, combination of whipped cream and sour cream, and so on.
As I said, this particular version was Lithuanian, as it’s a cake that is popular in countries that were under Soviet control at some point. I have Armenian versions saved, too.
Whatever the origin, it’s basically considered the most popular dessert in Russia and I made no claim that it is definitely of Russian origin, only speaking of Russian versions because that’s what I’ve made and eaten. There are Ukrainian bloggers that refer to it as a Russian cake, though, like Esbieta:

This article mentions that the first printed recipe was from a Ukrainian cookbook, though points out that origin itself is a mystery:

4 Likes

I sent you a personal message

1 Like

I had some liquid leftover from a can of sweet potatoes and I didn’t want to throw it out. So… I made a “throw together” cake. I shredded some apples I had in the freezer (Dorsett Golden from my neighbor). I also used some light brown sugar and a dash of cinnamon. After it cooled, I topped it with a simple vanilla buttercream frosting that I made up. Both Sunshine and I loved it!!
In hindsight, I wish I had added a little food coloring to the frosting, just to make it a little more “fun”.

11 Likes

Baked madeleines and twisted cinnamon raisin bread with my almost 16 year old grandson. He passed on watching latest Top Gun to bake. Did all the work himself following instructions.
He’s in a French Immersion program and said next year he would like to bake French patisserie for his project.

12 Likes

Made some focaccia to stuff with (sadly too thick) mortadella.
And pain au lait from The Fundamental Techniques of Classic Bread Baking.
I made a few large one for sandwiches and the smaller size called for.

10 Likes

I’ve learned I have to be fierce to get them to cut the mortadella thinly. I asked the manager to tell me the correct number setting for their slicer: 5.

2 Likes

I made the Lemon Blueberry Buckle from Rustic Fruit Desserts.

It was delicious. I can’t imagine the person who wouldn’t adore the combination of blueberries and lemons. As the recipe calls for quite a bit of lemon juice, it’s well balanced between sweet and tart.
In the book, the recipe calls for ten ounces of blueberries.

7 Likes

I still think about the whole medovik I bought in a Ukranian church parking lot right after the war started. It was a fund-raiser. I still check the church website every couple months, hoping to catch their next event. I’ll probably buy two next time :wink:

My personal dessert nirvana always involves fruit, but I make an exception for honey cake, which is one of the most delicious things I’ve ever eaten.

2 Likes

Love that book! Pretty sure I enjoyed that recipe.

Erin Jeanne McDowell’s Cream Cake, from the Food52 website.

Using a hand mixer, I made a half recipe in a 6-cup Nordic Ware pan. The cake baked for about 38 minutes.

The recipe calls for heavy cream (instead of butter or oil) for the fat, and the results are moist and dense, with a vanilla profile. Quick and easy to make, it is delicious with whipped cream and juicy, thawed berries. I will make again.

17 Likes

Yes rhubarb is here. I made a simple galette of rhubarb/strawberries/blueberries. Galette dough was a recipe ffrom Baking Chez Moi by Dorie Greenspan.

18 Likes

Gorgeous.

3 Likes

Thank you. So simple to make and so delicious. Feels healthy eating it.

2 Likes

I just looked up her recipe; honestly, your photo of finished galette looks much better than her photo!!

Did you put anything between the galette dough and the fruit?

I’ve made David Lebovitz’s strawberry/rhubarb galette and it’s delicious.

The recipe calls for almond flour to be sprinkled on the crust prior to adding the fruit.

3 Likes

I think my crust got a nice color by brushing it with egg and cream and then sprinkling some demerara sugar.

3 Likes