What Are You Baking? May 2023

Me too! Unfortunately, I don’t have anywhere to store a treasure trove of fun baking pans.

1 Like

Yeah, no basement in my apt for that kind of storage fun :joy:

As it is, I have a drawer full of stuff that I have to keep justifying to myself :rofl:

3 Likes

A single 8/9” cake would work just fine! A nice mound of whipped cream and fruit would get you in the same place…no excuses now!:yum:

1 Like

But… not as cute. Come on now!
(Meanwhile, don’t have any misconceptions about my “shortage” of stuff – I’ve got mini bundt pans that would work just fine :joy:)

1 Like

Proof is in the pudding :rofl:!

2 Likes
1 Like

I rarely bake muffins which call for butter (preferring oil) or lots of sugar, but this one sounded nice despite the appearance of both. I never get out a mixer for muffins – they don’t last long enough to make it worth the effort. Going by a Taste of Home recipe, here I melted the butter before stirring it in with the sugar and the applesauce. It worked fine. I made a ¼ recipe for 6 muffins, subbing 25% of the flour for white whole wheat. For kicks, I spritzed the apple bits with Calvados and let rest overnight before mixing the batter.

I think one could cut back on the sugar and swap some of the fat for more applesauce if so inclined. As written, they came out with a smooth texture, and sweet with lots of apple flavor. I would make again.

11 Likes

Your beautiful pic inspired me. I just returned from the farmers market with a bundle of rhubarb.

1 Like

Thank you, I’m hoping to get some more tomorrow as well!

Triple lemon velvet bundt from RLB for mom’s bday. This is a half-recipe.

I prefer to make these the day before serving, but didn’t manage that with All That’s Been Going On™️. Even just a few hours out of the oven, this very lemony cake is a stone cold stunner.

16 Likes

Gorgeous glazing! Happy birthday to mama of mig!

2 Likes

Nigella’s chocolate Guinness cake. Just had a slice for breakfast. Seems extra stodgy this time but still delicious.

11 Likes

Aww thanks! Presentation is not my strong suite, so that’s extra nice of you to say.

Lovely. Havent made it for a while but its a favourite here

1 Like

From Baking with Dorie, Smoked Salmon Roll Up
The savory roulade cake was easy to make and rolled easily. Filling was cream cheese, smoke salmon,scallions,dill,chives,(by the way chives freeze well), capers and lemon juice.
We had this for lunch yesterday with a side salad and glass of wine. Just because, not a royalist here. Liked it a lot . Would make it again.

10 Likes

Coronation Celebration! Mini Bakewell tarts with an assortment of fillings. Lemon curd , tart cherry jam, apricot jam and ginger jam, a two bite treat.These were a little ditzy to cut the pastry circles, but I froze them in the mold and the filling and topping went quickly. They baked in under 15 minutes and the bottom of the crust was cooked through and lightly browned.

15 Likes

That would have been perfect preceding my mini Bakewells, it looks delicious!

2 Likes

I’ve had this bookmarked for a long time - looks great!

I found that on the second day it mellowed. Became softer and the flavour of all the additions came thru more. It was even better.

1 Like

Swiss roll is my favorite cake, so I have been intrigued by the savory version since this was bcotm and I came across it! Thanks for the tip on resting it a day