What are you baking? May 2022

Ramadan pide to eat with tuna salad. One shaped the standard way, the other with a diamond pattern.

12 Likes

I might make the milk chocolate scones next weekend for my daughter’s final exam week!

5 Likes

Pound cake toasted in the skillet with a little butter, rhubarb compote and the first of the season strawberries from the Farmers’ market, hopefully we will have 5 to 6 weeks more of luscious local berries!

8 Likes

Lots of baking to post here, sorry not all will be from May…

Frozen rhubarb released too much water, so I had to overbake. Thankfully, the sour cream kept it from being too dry. Even though it disappeared, the fussiness (my sink was full afterward) wasn’t worth it with frozen rhubarb. I will try in the future with fresh rhubarb and see if I can get better height and color.

I reduced cardamom by almost half and cinnamon by 3/4. (It is way too much as written.)

Recipe: https://www.eitanbernath.com/2021/05/16/big-crumb-rhubarb-cardamom-snack-cake/

6 Likes

What did you glaze with?

I made a NYT version of a chocolate chip scone this morning. Nowhere near as good as the Stella Parks version.

1 Like

It was, the weather was so nice. We have had a few brief winter porch visits but now we can have longer visits!

1 Like

Topfentorte from Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafes of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.

Pressed in cookie-type crust, lemon flavoured filling with bakers cheese and sour cream, lightened with whipped egg whites folded under. Sultanas and sliced almonds scattered on top. Baked for 40 minutes. Made 1/2 recipe in a 6 inch springform. This was a new recipe for me out of a cookbook that has had many successes. Delicious, even still warm. Looking forward to a piece tomorrow with a cup of coffee.

Add images here

15 Likes

Clearly, great minds think alike :wink:
I have tons of frozen rhubarb in the freezer from last spring ( I always get overzealous and overbuy). I was quite nervous about baking it with frozen rhubarb, but it turned out just fine… just had to do the full 60 minutes. Took a few samples piece for quality control… Taking in to work tomorrow for our day with the whole team there!

7 Likes

Genevieve Ko’s Whipped Cream Scones With Chocolate And Cherries.

Last week’s bakes of both chocolate scones and whipped cream scones were so successful, I decided to try a recipe which incorporated both. Modifications included cutting the sugar in half, using milk chocolate instead of dark chocolate (DH’s preference), and using unsalted butter instead of salted.

This is a crumbly dough, and after making it, I understand why her instructions are for hand-shaping the dough balls. I used a #14 dough scoop, but it took some work to get the dough to clump together and release from the scoop (even after adding an additional 2 T. cream). Still, I like the uniformity of using the dough scoop. Doing it by hand is probably much less fussy. I got 11 smallish scones out of a full batch.

The flavor was good, and the texture good (I’m becoming sold on whipping the cream before adding), but something about the appearance bugs me. Both too pale and not craggly enough for a drop scone. I didn’t find the appearance appetizing. I baked for 22 minutes recipe calls for 20), and might have been able to go 2 minutes more for a bit more color. I’m wondering if it were baked in wedges whether it might appeal to me more.

I’m on the fence about digging deeper into this one. Try again with modifications, or move on?

FYI, one of my all-time favorite scone recipes also is from Genevieve Ko: Ultra Buttery Irish Scones

6 Likes

YUMTASTIC! Here’s more words since this interface won’t accept a single-word response.

1 Like

That looks marvelous. I might need that book!

What other recipes from this book do you like? I picked up a used copy a while back and haven’t even cracked it open yet.

1 Like

I used strained apricot jam thinned with some rum.

3 Likes

It was a big hit: the whole 9X13 pan was gone by noon, and I kept on hearing that it “wasn’t too sweet”.

3 Likes

I baked my pan for mom to take to an event, but the event was sparsely attended so she came back with half of the squares. I then sent her to drop off care packages to two friends, because I knew if that cake was in the house, I would eat it compulsively myself. It’s close to my platonic ideal of a fruit dessert: just enough rich cake with a hit of lemon, topped generously with jammy baked fruit.

5 Likes

I love cheesecake! But I stopped eating gluten( This spring, my favorite was the flourless cheesecake from Lviv!

Ingredients

Cheesecake:

• 500 g farmer cheese
  • 4 eggs
  • 100 g sweetener (or a little more)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 50 g dried berries
  • 1 lemon
  • 1 orange
  • 20 g butter

Glaze:

• 50 g chocolate (80% cocoa or more)
  • 50 ml heavy cream
  • 30 g sweetener (optional)

Instructions

• Preheat the oven to 180°C. While it is heating up, whisk eggs and sugar into a thick foam.

• Add the farmer cheese and vanilla. Mix it thoroughly. If necessary, use an immersion blender – you should get a solid, glossy mass, like cream.

• Grate on a fine grater the zest of one lemon and one orange. Add it to the cheese mass. Also, send some berries there. Gently mix it.

• Grease a 9.5" by 5" cake pan with butter and pour the mass into it. Put the mold in a water bath and put it into the oven. After 40 minutes, start checking to see if it is ready. It usually takes an hour to bake.

• Turn off the oven. Do not take out the cheesecake – let it stand for another 20 minutes. Then take it out and leave it in its mold until it cools down completely. After that, take it out carefully, cover it with foil and put it in the fridge for 3-4 hours, or better yet, longer.

• After that, take out the cheesecake. Then melt 50 grams of chocolate in a saucepan, add 50 ml of heavy cream, stir thoroughly and do not bring it to a boil. Glaze the cold cheesecake.

4 Likes

Welcome, what sweetness did you use.

Erythrol, monk fruit or allulose or combinations
Allulose is good where caramelization of sugar is needed, for example in toffees

I haven’t baked macarons since Christmas. I was given this wonderful book called Macaron School by Camila Hurst. The fillings are worth the price. The filling I made is made with Starburst candy. The candy is melted, cream is added and beaten till smooth and then added to creamed butter and icing sugar. I used lemon flavour. It’s a nice smooth lemony filling.

9 Likes